B6 S4 Avant from the PNW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6 S4 Avant from the PNW

Hey there! Figured I'd go ahead and make a thread for my car even though there's not much going on with it right now haha.

Anyways, I'm currently a College student going to school to get my Associates in CAD Drafting. I have three quarters left, so hopefully I'll be getting a job with that soon enough and then this thread will start to speed up. I'm also hoping to incorporate my CAD skills in this build in a few ways

So about 2 or 3 years ago, I was driving a Dodge Dakota, which was fine, but it was lacking quite a bit in the way sportiness and the overall "fun factor". I missed driving a stick and I've always been more of a car guy than a truck guy at heart. I hopped on craigslist one night just to see what was out there, and I decided to see how much S4's went for. After looking at a few, I decided that a B6 S4 Avant was the car for me and it was time to start saving. I really wanted to keep my truck for it's utility factor, and it was also my first car, so the sentimental value was there also. Fast forward a couple years to this last February (My "saving" included buying a new mountain bike, puppy, and laptop lol), and I finally decided to sell my truck to get myself into an S4. After fixing a few things on the truck, I ended up selling it before I even put it up for sale to a guy in my hometown. He's a car guy also, so I was happy to see it go to a good home.

I had kept my eye on craigslist ever since that first time I looked at S4's and I realized just how rare finding an Avant with a 6 speed actually was. I ended up deciding that if a nice B5 or B6 popped up with a 6 speed, Avant or not, I'd go for it. There were a couple that caught my attention, but they either sold before I could get to them, or they were just a tad bit out of my price range. After about a month of just driving around in my parents' Suburban, we got a call from my brother in law saying that my pregnant sister was in the hospital and going into labor! I ended up staying up pretty much all night with my family until my Nephew was born around 6am. After getting home and taking a nap, I decided to try craigslist once again, and this time there was a new listing for a 2004 Dolphin Grey B6 S4 Avant with a 6 speed. It had 153,000 miles, but it had some tasteful mods and, most importantly, it was within my price range. I went to look at it, and it was a bit rough around the edges, but that was to be expected with a car with that many miles. I test drove it and it put a serious smile on my face! I went home to think about it, and within 15 minutes I was on my way back with cash to pick it up! It was quite a day becoming an uncle and the owner of my first "obtainable" dream car haha

Here she is when I first brought her home

And here she is all cleaned up

The last owner only had her about a year, but in that time he had put on BC Coilovers, JHM 4:1 torque split center diff, Fast Intentions Catback, JHM 93 octane tune, 034 Motorsports Adjustabe UCAs, JHM Short Shifter kit with upgraded shift linkage bushings, and some Chinese (meh) wheels wrapped in Michelin Pilot Super Sports. He did all that with the intention of doing some track days (he also has a dedicated E30 for Pro 3 racing), but then decided he wanted a newer S4 with a tiptronic.

One of the reasons I liked my truck was that I ride mountain bikes quite a bit, so a couple bike racks came soon after. Here she is packed up for a weekend of racing. This is one reason why I really wanted a wagon haha

When I sold my truck, I made a goal of having and S4 by the time the Leavenworth Drive came around. It's a drive over a mountain pass for any German car to a little Bavarian town up here in Washington. I had few friends going so I tagged along with them and their friends. Easily one of the best days of my life!

Stopped outside a gas station on the way

We decided to take the longer route which went on some twisty mountain highway, and ended up at a closed bridge, so we stopped for a bit to figure which way to go

A few weeks after the drive, I started getting into photography. It's something I've always wanted to try but never actually to the plunge into it. My parents picked up a Nikon D5500, so naturally I had to borrow it for a bit haha

Some of you may know the issues these S4's have with timing chains, but for those who don't, the guides in the timing chain system tend to crack over time which leads to skipped timing and ultimately engine failure. Mine does have a bit of a rattle on cold starts, but it's not something I'm too worried about. Given the higher mileage of the car, I've decided to not do anything about it, and if/when the timing skips, I'd like to swap in a lower mileage motor that would be a little more accepting to some power adders . One thing you can do with these motors to help reduce timing chain rattle is replacing the oil check valves. So she went under the knife for a night for that

Recently I've started attending more get togethers and drives with the Seattle Cars and Coffee group as well as some people from the Audizine forums. Here are a couple from one of the drives I've gone on

The stock front end on these cars are a little dull, so a lot of people opt for a lip from a Seat Cupra R. It takes a little bit of trimming on the lip, but it fits really well with the bumpers on the S4's. After putting one on myself, we got a nice flood so I went out and snapped some new pictures.

I got the stock Avus wheels when I bought the car. Those are now on wrapped in Blizzaks.

You can tell in the pictures that the lip bows down a bit right in the middle. There are two posts on the lip that need to be shaved down to get it to fit, and they just needed to be shaved down a bit more. This is how I got the lip this last weekend. I could still shave those two posts down a bit more to make the center of the lip more flat, but it's closer than it was before.

Anyways, that's my journey with this car so far. Ultimately my goal for the car is to have a car that I can reliably daily drive, clean up and show it off at a car show, and still hold it's own on a track. I love the idea of air suspension, so that's my next "big" step. Don't expect it to happen soon, though haha

Pic/Build Log: Here
    Instagram: tha_notorious_b

I like that instead of fixing an old motor you're just going to let it go.

Comment

I like what you have done! Keep it up.

Comment

Great car! I really wish I had been able to get an Avant, but for now my sedan will have to do haha. Can't wait to see where you take it!

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
        "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
        SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

Very nice! I had a blast in Leavenworth this year too.

@projects_always

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

Finally got a chance to take her out in the snow today. The Quattro paired with the Blizzaks did amazing and didn't lose traction until I wanted them to

There was a spot along the highway with a cool rock face that would be good for pictures, so I pulled off over the pile the plows left and realized I need some heavier duty hardware for my lip lol

Got it back on good enough and took some shots!

The drive to Leavenworth is always really pretty, and it's just breathtaking in the snow. Highly recommend it if you live up here!

Anyways, right now I'm wanting to refresh a few things on the car. I keep hearing a little knocking noise that I think is coming from my LCA's, so that will probably be next. I also have an oil leak somewhere so I need to figure out what the deal with that is. Really just want to get her in top shape before I drop the money on bags and such.

Comment

Me likes this thread. Do continue
              -Christian.

'91 318iS AW2/blk slow garage queen/build...
              '02 ///M3 carbonschwartz 6MT daily beast
              '37 Chevy pickup-garagequeen...

Comment

The three seasons of Stevens pass

Winter:

Originally posted by REVOofRustler View Post
                The drive to Leavenworth is always really pretty, and it's just breathtaking in the snow. Highly recommend it if you live up here!

[/URL]
                Spring:

Summer:

Comment

wow those wildfires are intense.
                  Originally posted by s t a y g o l d
                  and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
                  S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

Awesome pictures! Those are surreal.

I love the avants.. I have a B6 ultrasport sedan that I love to death!

Comment

Originally posted by Jlyons617 View Post
                      The three seasons of Stevens pass

Winter:
                      [pic]

Spring:
                      [pic]

Summer:
                      [pic]
                      Ahhhh, how (unfortunately) true that is!

Originally posted by btns44 View Post
                      Awesome pictures! Those are surreal.

I love the avants.. I have a B6 ultrasport sedan that I love to death!
                      Thanks! I really wish Audi would import more Avants over here. We really get jipped on all the good models haha

Nothing else has really happened with my car lately, except for going and putting actual nuts on bolts on my lip so it doesn't get ripped off again lol. One of my friends recently picked up a "new" WRX, so we've been going around doing wagon things!

There was a meet with Seattle Cars and Coffee at Alki beach that we ended up going an hour late to. The sun had just gone down, but I thought these shots turned out ok.

Then we ended up going back over Stevens with a few other friends to have some fun in the snow!

This thread is more or less going to turn into a picture dump for me in the near future. I've been really enjoying the photography stuff, so I'm gonna be buying myself my own DSLR hopefully within the next couple months so I don't have to keep borrowing my parents'. I wanna move up to a full frame, so I've decided on a Nikon D750. For lenses I'm just gonna start out with a Nikkor F2.8 24-70mm lense. Like I said in the first post, I do a lot of mountain biking. I'm thinking that instead of competing in the races this year, I'll go and get photos of all the races and potentially make a bit of money on top. So that's all for now!

Comment

Time for a sort of update. I recently noticed a tick/rattle coming from the front of the car. I dug into it the last couple days, and I think the noise was coming from my serpentine belt. I took the belt off and ran the car for a second and I didn't notice the noise at all. While I have it all apart, I'm gonna be trying to find where my AC system is leaking refrigerant. It would be nice to finally have AC haha. I've also noticed I have a bit of a coolant leak. I think it might be coming from the radiator, so I'll check that over tomorrow.

I'm starting an internship in a couple weeks and also getting close to graduating, so hopefully I'll be able to get a "real" job once all that is finished and then I can really get to doing some more mods on it.

Comment

keep it coming!

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

Comment

Originally posted by nsogiba View Post
                            keep it coming!
                            I'll do my best!

So after playing around with some soapy water and my air compressor, I found that my AC compressor has a very large leak. Everything up to this point has been pretty easy and straightforward, but I think getting the compressor out might give me some trouble. I have everything disconnected from it, and it's completely unbolted from the car. Only thing is that I have to take out my driver side motor mount because it's built around the compressor in a way that makes it impossible to get out. The only thing driven by the serpentine belt on this car is the alternator. Everything else is driven off of the timing chains on the back of the motor, so that obviously makes things a bit more complicated.

Other than that, I pulled the water pump and coolant reservoir off. The water pump didn't seem like it turned as smoothly as it should, so I have a new one of those on the way with everything else. I couldn't find anywhere where coolant was leaking from, so I'm just gonna see what happens once I get everything back together. If it's still there I'll just make sure to top off my coolant every now and then haha. Along with the compressor and coolant tank and such, I ordered an aftermarket belt tensioner from JHM. The stock tensioner requires that you use a torque wrench to manually torque the tensioner, and then you tighten down a bolt to keep it all in place. The JHM one is an automatic tensioner like you'd find on just about anything, so that'll be nice to have on there.

I have Tuesday off of school and work, so that's when I'll figure out how to get the compressor out. I'm really looking forward to not burning up my car this summer lol

Comment

Made a little bit more progress today!

So all the bolts that hold the compressor in place are pretty easy to get to and take out. The problem is that the prop shaft that drives the compressor is screwed into the back of the compressor. There is a 17mm hex on the prop shaft side, and a 19mm on the compressor side. I tried undoing that connection without taking out the motor mount, but to no avail. So I got the motor supported with a hoist so I could take out the motor mount and brackets.

After getting all that out of the way, I tried to undo that connection once more, but I still could not get it undone. The part of the compressor that the prop shaft screws into is held on by six smaller allen head bolts, so I figured I'd take those off and see what happens. I took out the ones that I could easily reach, and then I cranked the motor for a second with my fuel pump fuse pulled so that the prop shaft and compressor would rotate and I could get to the rest of the bolts. It worked! I may still try to get those parts unscrewed from each other, but I don't see why I couldn't just put the new compressor in the same way.

After getting the compressor out, I saw that the drive shaft had also broken in the compressor. I was kind of expecting it, though, because that's what usually happens when the AC stops working on these cars.

So I have load of parts coming from JHM and ECS that will hopefully be here by the weekend. I'll have a lot of free time next week, so that's when I'll work on getting everything in. I also ordered an AC manifold gauge set, AC flush kit, and a vacuum pump so I can do it all the right way.

Comment

Working...
                              X