• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh god...cant wait to see them done!

Comment

Originally posted by .Mad Hatter. View Post
      oh god...cant wait to see them done!
      I know... I can't wait to get them finished either! I gotta find a place I can drive by with windows or mirrors. I may end up circling the block a few times.

here is a bit of a tease from yesterday after I mocked up the wheels from getting them back from tire mounting. My arches are getting pulled and flared... so the poke is only temporary.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by shortwave360 View Post
          Got the centers back from the machine shop and the mounting surface for the faces are zeroed out now. A little before and after shot:

hey
          when u say u had to get the centers machined back because of the gaps for the mounting points,

is that for x10wide rim only?
          or x9 as well?
          does it apply to all types and sizes (17/18/19" and x9/x10/x11 width) of lm faces?

how much offset is affected by machining the mounting surface back?

Comment

nice work on the wheels, i'm currently in the process of doing the reverse face mount on my LMs

i was just wondering what torque settings should the LM bolts be tightened to when re-assembled and in what pattern did you tighten them
            Drinking Enthusiast with a Car Problem

Comment

Originally posted by lzybum View Post
              hey
              when u say u had to get the centers machined back because of the gaps for the mounting points,

is that for x10wide rim only?
              or x9 as well? all sizes
              does it apply to all types and sizes (17/18/19" and x9/x10/x11 width) of lm faces? From what I know all LM wheels are the same in design when it comes to the faces other then diameter obviously and offset. Some slight differences exist between the two offsets I have in the thickness of the face around the edge and depth of lug dish.

how much offset is affected by machining the mounting surface back?
              There really isn't much material taken off the mounting surface that affects the offset. The recess meant for the head of the bolt was < 1mm. Where the offset really gets increased is when you mount the center in from behind the barrel so the thickness of the mounting surface "lip" bumps it out maybe 4mm. It was enough to not have to run spacers for my application and gives the wheels the old school look I prefer!

Originally posted by 180roman View Post
              nice work on the wheels, i'm currently in the process of doing the reverse face mount on my LMs

i was just wondering what torque settings should the LM bolts be tightened to when re-assembled and in what pattern did you tighten them
              It ended up costing me $300 for the machining and I figured it was about the same cost as spacers so... I have heard that some people don't machine them and still reverse mount them.

The arches haven't been completed yet, so the centers haven't been painted or bolted in fully. The project is kinda on hold while I wait for the rear bags and mgmt to show up. IIRC 15-20lbs is typical is typical torque specs. I start a star pattern and torque my first 8 bolts to half torque and then work the surrounding ones in at full. I would compare it to truing a bike wheel and working the exact opposite side of the wheel to avoid warping.

Comment

did u wet sand at all or was it all dry?
                -Jorge-

Comment

Post #30 I go over the grits I used and what order. Each wheel was about 2 hours of dry DA sanding, 6 hours wet palm sander, 4 hours of wet blocking, 5 hours of buffing wheel. I spent at least 8 hours on each center stripping and sanding to the aluminum. The barrels had a lot of paint and grime to remove as well before sanding could start... It took a long time.

Kinda hellish, but I couldn't afford to have someone else do these up and I love the way it feels now that they're nearly done!

Comment

cant wait to see the finished product. nice work.

Comment

sick project

Comment

Originally posted by euro e28 View Post
                        cant wait to see the finished product. nice work.
                        Thanks for the support

Originally posted by the bucky View Post
                        sick project
                        big time didn't know how much time was going to be needed before completion... the arches need to be worked still and I finally have the mgmt system on the way to make this happen!

A shot of the rear and the amazing amount of gap left behind by my CO's:

Comment

fark that looks sick!

Comment

any updates? =D
                            btw can u estimate/measure how much offset is affected by reverse mounting the faces?

Comment

Originally posted by lzybum View Post
                              any updates? =D
                              btw can u estimate/measure how much offset is affected by reverse mounting the faces?
                              sadly... no. Had a lot of set backs with getting my mgmt and suspension all together. According to the tracking number I will receive the "final" bit tomorrow, the rear bags. Installation of the suspension and fabrication of the arches would require the wheels to come on and off several times and it seemed best to leave them unfinished until the final stage.

From what people say and my own estimates, 8-10mm offset change. Machining the face I would guess to be around 1mm.

I will be pretty dam excited to have the car come together over the winter and will be sure to update accordingly!

Comment

Originally posted by shortwave360 View Post
                                From what people say and my own estimates, 8-10mm offset change. Machining the face I would guess to be around 1mm.
                                i've heard people say it changed offset by 12-15mm which seems a bit too much. 8-10mm sounds more like it lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X