My built, widened and bagged 06 WRX Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wirtz View Post
    Looks good john! I'll have to hit you up on fb today or tomorrow and share where my progress is as well. I'm about at the same spot currently. I have a lot of extra length on the engine harnesses that are inside the cabin now. They are through the firewall he but I need to loom them and seal the hole. I didn't want to shorten the harness so I got creative tucking the wiring inside.

Gotta lengthen an injector wire and the alternator wiring and re ground the main harness and I should be okay. Everything reaches my fuse box location currently
    Hey dude thanks! Just a heads up, I'm very rarely if ever on Facebook, DM on Instagram or e-mail is the best way to reach me! I spent last night getting my engine harness routing figured out, I didn't have to extend anything on that after having it entirely unloomed. I should have it all re-loomed this weekend.

After that I focused on the new fusebox-- built a bracket (using the mounting spots for the washer fluid res on 06/07), and separated the alternator wiring from that crazy junction/cluster of wires just before the fuse box. Next up for me is extending the alternator wires and running the new fusebox-to-battery wire with the rest of the fender harness to the Tee I have mounted up behind the cabin fuse box. Once that is done, I can wrap the fender harness back up and mount the new fuse box enclosure for good. I think I'll just use a single 4awg wire to extend the alternator post wires, what are your plans for that?

Going on a little getaway on Saturday with my Fiancee for her birthday, but hope to get a little bit done maybe tonight and/or Sunday -- I'll snap some pics too!

Comment

Got a little work done this weekend, basically got the fuse box situated. Just need to run a 4AWG from the fuse box main fuse terminal on the bottom of the fuse box out with the rest of the harness running along top of the fender well, then that thing is all set to seal back up. Hoping to get that done tonight!

PS - That wheel is under the car because I have a (hopefully) irrational fear of jack stands failing

Comment

Big fan of your wagon, everything flows so well.

Comment

Originally posted by saturnstance View Post
          Big fan of your wagon, everything flows so well.
          Why thank ya! It's been cold af here in VT, but this week is gonna be super duper warm (we're talkin 30+ degrees here people) so I'm looking forward to spending some time out in the garage and hopefully wrapping up the driver side wiring, then it's onto the passenger side.

I've been a real loser and up to this point have been telling myself not to pull the dash trim, because reasons. That has in turn made any amount of work around the pedals and what not a true pain in the butt, so maybe I'll spend some time doing that.

Working on this project has made me realize a few things:
          1. I enjoy having no time limit on car projects.
          2. I have the attention span of a toddler.
          3. I am a better mechanic when I'm not concerned with getting things done quickly.
          4. I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's part of the fun
          5. I have trouble making up my mind.

More pics soon!

Comment

I can heavily relate to all of them..specifically #2 lol

Comment

Lovely! Looks fantastic. Is that a TWM shift knob you had before the swap?

- Renato
              TWMPerformance.com | TWMShiftKnobs.com | GodSaveTheManuals.com
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by John@BagRiders View Post

Working on this project has made me realize a few things:
                1. I enjoy having no time limit on car projects.
                2. I have the attention span of a toddler.
                3. I am a better mechanic when I'm not concerned with getting things done quickly.
                4. I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's part of the fun
                5. I have trouble making up my mind.

High 21!

its like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

Originally posted by LCG View Post
                  High 21!

its like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.
                  I like this

Originally posted by TWM Performance View Post
                  Lovely! Looks fantastic. Is that a TWM shift knob you had before the swap?

- Renato
                  Thanks for the kind words! Yes it sure was, the Desert Eagle! It's still sitting here on my desk at work, love that thing! I was planning on putting it in another 5spd Subie but ended up buying a LGT specB which has a 6spd Nevertheless, I'm holding onto it for when I get another 5spd!

I can heavily relate to all of them..specifically #2 lol
                  Lulz

Well last night I pulled the turbo and this weekend I'll be meeting up with the buyer, so I'm committing to going bigger! I also removed the cast coolant line to have it blasted and painted black, along with a few other random brackets. I'm going to clean the block and paint it with some high temp black paint, which should give a nice clean look and hopefully look especially nice once everything is back together. I've always loved subtle touches like that when admiring a build, so I figured while I've got it all apart I might as well do it.

Here's how she's lookin now, I think tonight I'll pull the OE power steering lines, that pesky hard line for the turbo oil feed (to replace with a flexible braided line), make some headway on the driver wiring harness and I guess whatever else my wandering attention leads me to lol.

Comment

This build is so clean! Love it, in for more!

Comment

I always start out wanting to work on one thing..end up doing something else and never getting done what I intended lol

Excited to see more progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystic View Post
                        This build is so clean! Love it, in for more!
                        Thank you!

I always start out wanting to work on one thing..end up doing something else and never getting done what I intended lol

Excited to see more progress.
                        Story of my life haha

Alright got some good work done this weekend! I wrapped up the driver side wiring harness, went a little overboard on it but hey better safe than sorry. I loomed the entire thing with Super 88 electrical tape, slightly thicker stuff, then wrapped it again with the OEM nylon sheathing and wrapped that up tight with more electrical tape. The section of harness passing into the fuse box is shielded in a chunk of old radiator hose, then once I had the box closed I made a cone shape out of more radiator hose kinda like the firewall grommets in the engine bay. I sealed everything from the inside with weatherproof door and window silicone, so I'm very confident the fuse box will keep nice and dry. I also coated every terminal and plug (and solder joint for that matter) with dielectric grease.

Here's the finished product, note the electrical tape randomly on the box was just to hold everything in place while the silicone dries, it's not there for waterproofing by any means lol.

After I got that finished up, it was back to the bay. I drilled out all the spot welds for the battery tray and yanked that out, then went at the engine with a wire brush. My intention was to just do the very front parts that are more or less visible, but I kinda went a little bit OCD and just did the entire thing completely disregarding that a lot of it will be covered up by the intake, various hoses, and stuff like that. I planned on painting it black with some high temp engine paint, but I'm really digging the brushed look so maybe I'll leave it like this? Any thoughts on this?

Oh I also did some work on my wheel well brake lines. Since the entire system is empty I figured it would be a good time to finally install some stainless brake hoses. Like everything else I've done recently, I took the opportunity to clean all the crap off the brake line bracket, it's crazy how much gunk builds up on these things. Not this thing those, clean as can be! I also cleaned all the gunk off my calipers. I planned on disassembling them and repainting them, but they look pretty good so I don't think I'll spend any more time on those, got more important stuff to do!

I'm gonna start ordering stuff this week so I can start getting the car back together, horrah!

For anyone interested, here's the list of new goodies for putting it back together:

Blouch Dominator 1.5 XTR 10cm hot side, 3" inlet
                        Killer B 4-1 Holy Header
                        GrimmSpeed EWG Up Pipe
                        Tial 38mm Wastegate
                        IAG Fuel Rails (black)
                        IAG Fuel Line Kit
                        Aeromotive -6 FPR
                        Chase Bays Brake Line Kit for ABS Delete
                        Chase Bays Power Steering Kit
                        Killer B low profile engine coolant tank
                        Mishimoto polished radiator and new hoses

I'm currently debating what I want to do with the intake manifold. My current plan is to shave off all the bungs I don't use then have it mirror polished, sell my port matched TGV's in favor of IAG's machined version (IMO they look better). But, already got a pretty big list of "to-do's" and I don't know if I'll have time to put that much work into the intake manifold... we'll see!
                        Last edited by John@BagRiders; 01-31-2016, 08:58 PM.

Comment

For the engine, I think black would be a nice touch, but I don't think you have much black anywhere else on the car..i'd stay with the brushed look.

or you could paint it orange like I saw someone do lol

Comment

Looks good dude!

Manifold will take some dedication just a heads up. Once you shave the bungs off, you're gonna need to do the whole thing if you have the wrinkle texture to it. Needs to all match. I spent most of last winter here and there taking time on it. I have two more bungs I could do but not for this year. Best bet is to spend the $100 on a spare manifold on eBay and shave that and then flip them later

Comment

For the engine, I think black would be a nice touch, but I don't think you have much black anywhere else on the car..i'd stay with the brushed look.

or you could paint it orange like I saw someone do lol
                              I made it black

Comment

Actually. I take back what I said. That looks awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X