No announcement yet.

She Was a Stunner | 19Birel's B5 Audi Revival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice to see someone save a B5, I got to drive one around for a day and it was a fun car to drive with the 1.8T. I hope to see this thing on its face in the somewhat near future

@fackinsteve ; fackin build thread :
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ill-build-E36s

Comment

Originally posted by fackinsteve View Post
      Nice to see someone save a B5, I got to drive one around for a day and it was a fun car to drive with the 1.8T. I hope to see this thing on its face in the somewhat near future
      Thanks man, after winter it'll definitely be getting it closer to the ground as I can't handle all this wheel gap. We'll have to see how low I can get this thing without rubbing with these wide offset wheels, should be fun haha

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
      "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
      SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

good work so far mate. you far away from it running?
        Vw Golf '90 (AHU tdi)

Vw Touran (2.0 tdi SE)

Nissan Skyline (r32 gts-4)

Vw Lupo - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by STU? View Post
          good work so far mate. you far away from it running?
          Thanks man! Currently she runs and drives without issue! It's only been driven around the block a few times as it's not registered and therefore has no plates, but all it needs is a new set of tires an alignment, and state inspection to be road ready. When I get home next month all of that will be taken care of and then I'll drive it back up to school.

Comment

Got tyres ordered today, Nankang Noble Sport NS-20 in size 225/40/R18 Should fit perfectly on the RS6 wheels with no sidewall bulge and hopefully nothing rubs later when I lower it. Anyone run Nankangs before? This will be my first experience with them so not sure what to expect...

Car comes out of paint the 16th, and will be aligned and inspected with new tires by the time I get home on the 24th. I'm going to try and do a photoshoot as well so stay tuned for that!

Also going to try and get the ball rolling on some mods before winter

Comment

Originally posted by 19birel View Post
              Got tyres ordered today, Nankang Noble Sport NS-20 in size 225/40/R18 Should fit perfectly on the RS6 wheels with no sidewall bulge and hopefully nothing rubs later when I lower it. Anyone run Nankangs before? This will be my first experience with them so not sure what to expect...

Car comes out of paint the 16th, and will be aligned and inspected with new tires by the time I get home on the 24th. I'm going to try and do a photoshoot as well so stay tuned for that!

Also going to try and get the ball rolling on some mods before winter
              Love that you're saving this b5! I love my b5, and lowering them is one of the best things you can do for the looks!

As for Nankang's, I ran a set on my a4 when I had 18" Merc wheels on it and they seemed fine to me. Nankang's used to be good for a bit of tyre stretch, but not too sure how they are now as I only have 205's on a wheel that standard takes 235's and they look awesome.
              I am a party pooper. I poop at parties.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                Love that you're saving this b5! I love my b5, and lowering them is one of the best things you can do for the looks!

As for Nankang's, I ran a set on my a4 when I had 18" Merc wheels on it and they seemed fine to me. Nankang's used to be good for a bit of tyre stretch, but not too sure how they are now as I only have 205's on a wheel that standard takes 235's and they look awesome.
                Thanks! I can't wait to lower it! I was going to leave it at stock height when I had the 16" Swings on but it looks like a monster truck now so I gotta kill that wheel gap.

Good to hear the Nankangs are decent, they were pretty cheap so I was a little skeptical. Sounds like your running a lot of stretch! I'll be running a 225 on what I think is a 235 wheel so there may be a tiny bit of stretch but nothing crazy.

Comment

Well things have taken an unexpected dive with this build, painter fell behind schedule, wiring harness to a crap, and car failed inspection because all four front upper control arms and the passenger side sway bar end link all have torn bushings, the passenger side tie rod is worn,and the power steering rack boot is torn, along with the exhaust flex pipe being messed up Oh yeah, and my front brake lines are gone too...I had the shop take care of the wiring harness as I'm away at school still and my dad was able to source a replacement, but I'll be home this coming week so I'll be refreshing the front end of the car, all stock parts but should make for a good update, oh and I'll be upgrading the front brake lines to braided stainless steel units from Stop-Tech, so theres that! stay tuned!

My order from FCP Euro-Much cheaper than I was anticipating!
                  Screen Shot 2015-11-21 at 5.07.04 PM by Ayrton @ Drive19, on Flickr

Advice, questions, and comments always welcome!
                  Last edited by 19birel; 11-23-2015, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Great job saving the car!

Comment

Originally posted by white out View Post
                      Great job saving the car!
                      Thanks man, I really appreciate it! Can't wait to finally start driving it in a few weeks when she's all buttoned up!

Comment

Got a lot of work done on the car while I was home, but in the rush I didn't take a whole lot of pictures[:p] Anyways here's what I have.

The front upper control arms needed replaced and they were a bit of a pain to remove, though if you have a pry bar it would probably be way easier
                        Untitled by Ayrton @ Drive19, on Flickr

Here is one of the old tie rods, the rubber bushing is actually a bladder that holds oil to lubricate the joint. As you can see it tore open and the fluid leaked out

The whole spring and damper assembly has to get removed for this process, and here you can see the new control arms installed. (loosely, tightened once everything else is bolted in on the car)

As you can see my sway bar end links had seen better days[>_<]

Comparison with the new replacements. You may have noticed that they look slightly different, that is because the new ones are a revised version that are designed to reduce noise from the suspension

Also got these upgraded braided stainless steel lines from stop tech installed

Unfortunately one of my metal brake lines got ruined in the removal process so I had to grab one at the pick n'pull. While I was there I picked up a new valve cover (I think mine is warped because no matter what I do it still leaks a little oil from there) and I came across an A6 and picked up a new drivers side mirror as well.

My cracked mirror cap

My ruined lens

The one pulled from the C5

I got lucky and it had blind spot glass!

Just need new glass for the other side now and swap the A6 mirror onto the A4 base! Also, not pictured but I also replaced the tierods.

Also got some OEM center caps (I was only able to get 3, but I'll just use one of the blanks that came with my wheels until I find another)

And this is how I left her! She just needs the section of exhaust by the flex pipe replaced and then she gets reinspected and aligned! Then it's off to the painter again! My car had a lot of body work done prior to me getting it, and it appears the PO had a chimpanzee do it as some of it is pretty horrendous. My painter has had to sand through so many layer so many layers on cracked bondo on the bumpers it's kinda sad...

Oh and I may need to re assess my plans to lower this thing over the summer, she might be sitting a little too wide haha

I should've snapped a pic of the front too, but I've got the suspicion that I'll have rubbing issues if I decide to go with the H&R sport springs I wanted so I'm going to have to take a few measurements to see if it's possible. I'm not too keen on rolling the fenders but we'll see!

I'm back at school for a few more weeks now but when I return the Audi will be out of paint! Until then I get to roll in the Golf I'll throw a few pics of that up at some point haha

Anyways thanks for looking! Questions and Comments always welcome!

Comment

I think if you run smaller tires when it gets lowered you will be fine. I've seen people run a lot more aggressive fitment

@fackinsteve ; fackin build thread :
                          http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ill-build-E36s

Comment

Originally posted by fackinsteve View Post
                            I think if you run smaller tires when it gets lowered you will be fine. I've seen people run a lot more aggressive fitment
                            Yeah, the tires are a little meatier than I was expecting. My dad was trying to tell me to go with a 235 section so I thought I was going narrow with the 225... Guess not.

I'll also look into a couple other spring options and see if I can get something to kill the wheel gap but allow just enough clearance to accommodate the meaty tires.

Comment

The arches were the reason I chose the 205's for a 235 wheel. Face-lift B5 A4's have semi-rolled rear arches as is, but you could probably still get a slight bit of unnoticeable flare from them even just using an arch roller, as for the fronts they will need rolled, and if you want to run the 225's the you will need a bit of flaring of them. If I can, I'll get a photo up of how the stretch for the 205 on a 235 wheel looks. It isn't anything crazy, but made it function-able!
                              I am a party pooper. I poop at parties.

Comment

Nothing wrong with rolling the fenders, and definitely better to have them done BEFORE you get any bodywork/paint done just in case the paint cracks when rolling. Just saying

Also, love seeing people fix up cars like this. I've cleaned up and a lot of little projects and cars in similar condition and everyone always give me hell for "polishing a turd" but for the relatively little work you've done so far the car is already looking great! Keyword there is relatively lol, cause you've definitely put in a good bit of effort

Comment

Working...
                                X