No announcement yet.

polishing wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

use some aircraft stripper and a coarse steel wool pad. should make it easy. just wear a glove as the stripper burns the skin
    sigpic
    1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
    1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

so just got done hoping that the gel stuff would work but still major fail haha. ill be buying some aircraft stripper tomorrow.

Comment

Wow, that Tal-Stripper or most any stripper in gel form is superior to all my experiences.

I put that on paint, let it sit, maybe scrubbed a bit with a green scotch bright, and then rinsed it off with a hose and it was clean as a whistle bare metal.

You can smear it on thick and put it in a garbage bag. Something about the way it heats up that way. People have said you could use saran wrap also. Never tried that.

Comment

i dont know what im doing wrong haha

Comment

Make sure you gob that stuff on, at least I always do when I use it.
            DeadBuilt

Comment

i am! so i tried the gel stuff on my friends wheels im painting for him and his paint came off. are bmw wheels powdercoated is that why its so hard? i got somewhere today though i just used a scrapper and scraped off some paint haha and got down to some primer.

Comment

You should invest in a soda blaster...It makes it wayyyy easier. You need to use a lot of paint stripper and let it heat up in the sun. Watch your hands because it burns like a bitch...

Get the best deals for soda blaster at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

Comment

can you get nitromors over here?? that stuff shifts paint etc, left over night on wheels wrapped in a bin bag normally does it

Comment

bought some aircraft paint remover and still no results!

Comment

how long are you leaving the aircraft remover on the wheels for? are you really globbing it on? i used the aircraft remover from autozone on my porsche wheels and it sat for a while but the clearcoat/paint finally came off.

also, how bad is the rash? how are you planning to fix it? if you are going to fill it at all with anything that isnt metal (body filler, polyester filler) you wont be able to polish the wheels.

post up a pic, youll probably get more help that way.
                      cammed, slammed, & female driven

Comment

only 1 wheel has rash that ill sand down not to worried about that. i just put a crap load of the stripper and left it in my garage like 2 hours ago did go back to check on it. but hopefully it does something. If not i have no other option to let rotiform polish them for me haha.

Comment

If the wheel is powder coated, you will have one heck of a time removing it with store bought stripper. Your best bet is to let a powder coating and or stripping company strip your wheel with industrial stripper. DO NOT let them sand blast your wheel, if you want to have them polished (or polish them yourself).

Comment

thats what i want to know, are stock 745i wheels powdercoated from the factory?

Comment

Originally posted by gtrefever View Post
                              thats what i want to know, are stock 745i wheels powdercoated from the factory?
                              I am not certain. My guess is yes. But, if they aren't powder coated, they are painted with a very durable paint and primer under coat. However, some companies will powder coat the wheel with a powder primer and paint on top of it. Like someone mentioned before, the primer is going to be really difficult to remove. You will eventually remove it with the aircraft stripper, but it will take a few cans of it and a lot of time. Take a step back and ask yourself how much your time is worth, and then calculate how much the materials cost and how much a company will charge you.

Comment

ive spent about 50 on paint stripper already. like 10% of how much it would cost for a company to polish it. i think ill just get to polished by someone its taking to much of my time to actually do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X