Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coilovers hitting CV boot

What's up guys,

Was hoping you guys could help me. I have some D2 coilovers in my front and have lowered to where the bottom of the shock body is sitting just above my cv boot but would like to lower it more.

I have read a couple threads that say I can remove some lock collars or spring perch but don't know for sure which to remove. Here's a pic of my coilovers, the top two, could someone tell me the collars to remove?

I've also heard I can lower the spring collar down a bunch to where the spring sits loosely but I don't think that's safe. Here's a example...

Any info would be greatly appreciated! This is my first coilover setup so I'm new to this and want to make I don't wreck them. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

So I believe that the second picture with the lowered spring collared is called droop and that will lower my car? I believe it also shortens the life of the shock as well.

Anyone want to confirm it for me?

Comment

The lower mount is adjustable, spin the shock up, and the spring down.
      This may cause the shock to bottom out, then you need shorter shocks.
      If you have enough travel you need shorter springs.

Do not spin the collars down so the spring dangling around freely, if you
      have to do this you'll need helper springs, these help the actual
      spring to stay under tension when the cars suspension is e.g. on a lift.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeBlue View Post
        The lower mount is adjustable, spin the shock up, and the spring down.
        This may cause the shock to bottom out, then you need shorter shocks.
        If you have enough travel you need shorter springs.

Do not spin the collars down so the spring dangling around freely, if you
        have to do this you'll need helper springs, these help the actual
        spring to stay under tension when the cars suspension is e.g. on a lift.

So I have to spin down the bottom spring collar, then slide down the spring and then spin down the top spring collar to where it rests on the spring so it doesn't move, so I just moved the spring assembly down the strut? After I raised it up as you first mentioned.

Comment

You have to spin down the lower mount were the shock mounts to the knuckle...

Your car will be higher afterwards, so you need to spin down the Spring...

If the Spring is to short for the hight you want to ride your car, you'll need eighter
          helper springs or longer springs

tl:dr:
          I'm bad at explaining stuff...

Look at 4:15 and 7:10

Comment

Working...
          X