No announcement yet.

They told me E30s were played out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, they were quick to blame the issue on the rockers, where half the world has been using the IE HD ones long enough. And the german guy sent his along with his camshaft to Schirck, when he first reported this issue to them - Schrick said the rockers are in par and it was their product's fault and corrected it.
    Anyway, water under the bridge. It's not the last money I loose on this car.

Bottom line is: don't buy dbilas stuff!

On a more exciting note, just passed technical inspection:

The letters say GOD

Dyno session is next!
    "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
    Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

• Yesterday was dyno day!

We used a different dyno, but it was callibrated exactly as the one we used before, verified by strapping on different cars that were initially tuned on the original dyno, then showed same results on this one.
      Here's what we were interested in:

Schrick 288 with air filter.

Dbilas 292 WITHOUT the air filter. (before failure)

When I removed the air filter this time, with the Schrick 288, whp bumped up to 213, torque remained almost the same. No pic though, si it didn't happen, right?

Schrick 288 has more torque at revlimiter, torque comes just a tad later than with the dbilas 292, but we need to keep in mind the cam wheel is now 4 degrees retarded.

All in all, both cams appear to be very similar, however on the road the Schrick 288 makes all the difference. No jolting while cruising with light trottle around 1500 rpm, power is delivered smoother and I can't explain why, but that dip at 2900 rpm is not that noticable while driving/accelerating. It's still there but not that noticable and not annoying. Car feels somewhat quicker than with the 292 dbilas. Idle is also better.
      One thing to note is that now the vacuum is significantly less at idle, maybe the lobe separation is not exactly as advertised on the dbilas 292 (it's bigger in reality) and hence the difference.

So, there you have it - don't buy dbilas, buy Schrick. You'll have a better driving feel and you won't have oil starvation.

Pic on dyno

Comment

• Hey guys

Swapped the diff to a shorter gearing ratio, from 2.79 (original one) to a 3.25 and what a difference it made.
        Gave it a good drive around town and took some pics. Ignore it being dirty, it was a damp day.

Now onto some cosmetics and throwing in an LSD case into that 3.25.

Comment

• Oh look it's a car!

It's awesome, love it, now it's finally time to enjoy it

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

• ​I realized I never shared how the 3d printed piece for the oil pressure gauge sat.

Back in May, my brother and I took the car to the track again.

My brother next to it

Unfortunately, the car developed yet another issue on the track, that took me some time to resolve. From 4000 RPM and upwards, the power went down instead of up, it felt just as fuel starvation. I spent about a month chasing that around, replaced the fuel pressure regulator, removed both stock fuel pumps and put in an AEM one with 270 litres per hour. Nothing helped, took it to the tuner and he said the knock sensor is registering the increased engine noise as pings. Not sure what caused the engine to be noisier, we increased the threshold for the knocksensor and everything went back to normal. Apart from my O2 sensor controller - it went whack, showing either too rich or too lean with a full unit off, when the car had the ratio just fine. So we switched off the correction and now I need to change the O2 sensor and controller and make use of the one built into the ECU master.

A buddy and I decided to use the opportunity and while both our cars are running, take some photos of them together.

And finally, my attempt at a picture with a fancy filter.

Things to do on the list:

- switch O2 sensors and remove O2 controller in favor of the built in one.
            - put back stock fuel pump setup, as the AEM fuel pump is super loud.
            - figure out how to mount crooked mtech 1 skirts​

Currently working on my other project 325e, so that may take a while to complete.

Until then!

Comment

• Yoo, this was a great read. So much work gone into this, I admire your perseverance! All the aesthetics and wheels is spot on, definitely something timeless about the E30s.

Comment

• Thank you! It really was a lot of work. I really need to get my ass into gear and figure out a way to install the mtech1 skirts, these should complete the looks. Sadly, a bronze front windshield is no longer available, so I'm stuck with a green one, which ruins it for me big time. Maybe I'll get a clear one, if this one gets chipped or something.

Comment

Working...
                X