X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turko's 540 sport

Hi All,

Thought I'd share my build blog for my e39 540 sport.

Bought the car in November 14 and had already done the following.

New Tyres all round
    New discs and pads all round
    New Radiator, pump, thermostat, aux fan
    Upgraded to the later Mk4 Nav
    PB Coilovers

Ever since I bought the 5, I’ve been resisting the urge to go to town with it. This is meant to be my daily, I should be investing my time and money into my project car (e36 M3).

But with summer here, and an impatience to have some sort fun with cars – I ended up searching for a set of wheels to run over summer for a few shows. I missed having something a bit individual like I did with my 330 dropped on OZ’s. Plus I already had the coilovers on the car – I continually convince myself that things will be easy.

On the off chance I dropped a message to a mate to see if I could persuade him to part with any of his wheel collection. Being the wheel whore that he is, I knew he’d have something of interest. My luck was in. He had a custom set of Alpina’s supplied by Rimart.pl – Alpina faces, with brand new lips and barrels. So new, that they had not even been built up yet, let alone been on a car.

I never expected Ben to part with these. To be honest, I wasn’t looking for something this extravagant. But as soon as I saw them, I knew nothing else would compare. A deal was struck and before I knew it, I was round there loading them into the back of my car.

Things kind of spiralled on from there. A month or two later, a 528 popped up for sale locally with a recently installed full airlift kit. Impulsively, I asked the seller if he would split, to which he agreed! I could not have asked for a better seller, I was given a test drive/demo, plus untold amounts of help and advice in installing and set up.

I installed it all myself two weekends ago. I’d allowed myself a day, but it took the full weekend, two days from 8am to 9pm. However, I did put the effort in to do it right….. running the lines through the inside of the car rather than cheating and running underneath. I thought the e46 was well put together vs the e36. The e39 is a different league – so many clips and screws for every trim piece. It’s definitely not something I’d want to do again (not without an extra set of hands anyway). Annoyingly, because I was intent on getting the job done I forgot to take any photos.

Fresh from having the airlift kit on the car, last week I roped Joey into building the wheels for me – having not built up a set of split rims before I was nervous about stuffing them up. Great to be able to call upon his knowledge, and his willingness to get involved. :thumb:

Nearing towards the finish line, Saturday felt like a hectic rush – I wanted to see what they looked like on the car. Wheels were carted to Southall Tyres (the other side of London), tyres fitted, then back to Joey’s for a test fit, wash the car and get some pictures.

I am over the moon with the results. I still have to get to grips with the airlift kit and decide on what presets to set, but nothing a little fettling cannot sort out.

Pictures:

Wheels being built up:

The moment of truth…

Finally..... On the car:

Looks awesome such a nice set up
    Live,Breathe,Build,Believe,BMW!

Comment

Had a look at this when I was with Dips last week!

Those wheels are something special!
      Last edited by NeilP; 09-21-2015, 12:05 PM.

Comment

WOW, those wheels!

Comment

jawdropping

here's a pic somebody took on rollhard (not me)

Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Thanks.....

August saw me attend 'Rollhard - The Belgian Chapter 3.0'

Excellent show, great location, and got to take in some brilliant sights where we stayed. Having only met 2 or 3 people attending before, I was a little apprehensive about going, but having now been I'm glad I made the effort.

The following are a selection of pics I found of the 540 online :thumb:

Comment

The color alone already makes me smile, love the wheels and setup!

Comment

10/10
                Static Bora Thread

Comment

Working...
                X