This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help on refurbishing plastic

Hey guys, i just got a hold of a VW Gol G4 Rallye central bumper plastic part that is not in the best condition, but can be saved.

Here's a reference, not my car:

The thing is, here in Brazil some parts can cost a lot this one for example costs around $200 at the dealership.

It has some scratches

Should i sandpaper it? What would you do?
    It has a silver paint, looks metallic with some flake. I can order it.
    Thanks!

From Brazil with Love

Only thing I have to offer is don't use an extreme harsh grit saning paper. Nor would I use a power tool to sand this. One should use a light sanding mixed with wet sanding.. Grit should not be any lower than 600. Stay within the 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 3000 range.

There appears to be a few cracks or dimple.. these may reacquire a but more sanding an epoxy/bondo or body filler type additive. Just in those small area. You don't want to build this up, cause it would bulge and be hard leveling out.. You're just creating a smooth sandable surface that would accept paint there after. Of course one would need to prime this afterward. When priming.. this would give you a better idea as to how the surface will take paint and reveal any imperfections and you have to sand again.

As for the repainting and if you're looking to achieve the same finish (factory finish) Research what color that is and if it's a factory option or an after market option for your vehicle. I have a feeling you'll have to find a best match or alter the color slightly. Some us a plastic spray like Krylon fusion paint.. which is suppose to adhere to plastic parts etc.

The color.. Dupli-color has some of the best matching colors out there. Check out their chart for something close enough to that color. You could add a base coat, then a clear coat which has the metal flakes added.. then a clear or top coat just to add a bit more protection.
    Last edited by ToasterVan; 07-01-2015, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Thanks man, i'll keep all that in mind when working on this. Very good advice.

From Brazil with Love

Comment

YW. Typically something like this, many would simply throw away, coat it with plasti-dip or buy a new (if another one can be found). You and I on the other hand, if it's not too badly damaged and can be salvaged, we would make an effort to save it. You don't need to sand down to the bare plastic.. just make sure you have a very smooth surface to work with afterwards.
        Make a write up about it, I'm sure others would like to see your progress.

Comment

Definetely, it's a 200 dollars' worth piece of plastic for some reason. I have no choice but to save it haha. I'll post the walkthrough here when i get the chance to work on it.

From Brazil with Love

Comment

Working...
          X