Identity Crisis - My JDM Euro rat rod bomb Volvo 122

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identity Crisis - My JDM Euro rat rod bomb Volvo 122

So had a day off of work and finally decided to throw a thread together. About 15 years ago I was big into the Nissan scene. Built, showed, raced, blew up & crashed about 6 different S13 240's. Then got busy with a new job and got out of the car scene for a while. Fast forward to 2012, moved from Chicago to SoCal, had some extra time on my hands and started on a new project.

Was looking for something older, preferably a Datsun, but ended up picking up a half started project from a buddy in Texas, a 1950 Chevy Styleline Coupe.

After about 15 months of having it… Laying frame nice and bombed out haha

Went from turbo 4 bangers to an all American rat rod NA V8 Muscle bomber haha. Was a bit of a 180 from what I was used to. Had the coupe for about 2 years and you know how it goes... Never satisfied, always looking for the next project and really really missed boost. So in 2013 I came across this cherry Volvo for sale up north that had a lot of the leg work done (which helps, considering I didn’t have a ton of extra time to devote to working on it) and by some weird stroke of luck, happened to be swapped with one of my favorite motors, a notch top S14 Sr20det. Long story short, immediately bought the Volvo, sold the Chevy and so began my never ending vehicle identity crisis...

Needed new wheel bearings. So rented a hub puller from O’Riley’s that didn’t work, and ended up using some of that redneck ingenuity that my pop’s learned me… Worked like a charm.

Then did the typical suspension mods, poly bushings, IPD swap bars, new ball joints, new brake shoes, etc..

Then…. Blew the head gasket haha. So next few months was spent fixing that. New metal head gasket, upgraded the valves (bent a few) and picked up a few new odds and ends to try and make it my own.

Wood grain Nardi deep corn wheel, Nardo evolution shift knob, AEM Truboost and UEGO

The wheels had to go. Was back and forth on dropping a few grand to rebuild some BBS RS’s to a custom offset or doing a cheaper VW bug kinda look with some wider negative offset steelies and Vovlo hubcaps. Decided to go the less expensive route and spend the money I saved on a turbo upgrade, because 10psi just wasn’t cutting it haha.

Sanded off the primer and mounted up with some dope old school Portawall whitewalls.

Rolled, pulled, cut away the rear fenders’

Then picked up some rebuilt front calipers from Eric @ Hi Performance because I know from experience, it’s better to crash at 10 mph than it is at 60mph.

Then started source the turbo upgrade. Picked up a ball bearing BX550 from JP Turbo (similar specs to the Garrett GT3071r), and some 810cc injectors.

Just installed the injectors last weekend and am now in the process of getting it tuned.

That’s where I’m at today. Moving back to Chicago in a month and waiting for a few little surprises in the mail. But overall, super happy with the look, feel and performance of the car so far.

Did pick up a Recaro Profi SPG and threw it in, only to decide that I didn’t really love how it looked. So as of today it’s back to the stock driver seat. (Recaro is for sale if anyone is interested haha)

Looking forward to keeping this one for a few years. I'll keep this thread going with any of the new stuff I end up doing.

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by Sleeper122; 06-22-2015, 06:13 PM.

Damn this thing is rad. Love the chev too. I need a volvo in my life soon
    1958 Chevy Apache shop truck build

Commonwealth

W201/W124 Control arms and bag brackets

http://www.commonwealthmotoring.com/
    Air ride and custom parts
    IG - Commonwealth_mf FB - https://facebook.com/commonwealthmotoring

Comment

This thing is so cool!
      SAAB 900 T16s

Comment

This is beyond awesome
        IG: @OsakaFlocka

Comment

Originally posted by reiernumans View Post
          This thing is so cool!
          ^this
          Sugar Mama Build - http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=73298

Comment

Just insane on so many levels. How much power is it making?
            sigpic1998 Volvo s70 na auto
            kinda low, kinda loud, really slow. check it.
            http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=35112

Comment

Wow I love this. The Crown Vic (?) wheels on it looked really cool too.
              Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Comment

Well, this is sick as fuck. Good job so far man.
                IG: ashtonlafleur

Comment

those steels came out great
                  Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper122 View Post
                    Did pick up a Recaro Profi SPG and threw it in, only to decide that I didn’t really love how it looked. So as of today it’s back to the stock driver seat. (Recaro is for sale if anyone is interested haha)

I've seen people cut the tops off of racing seats in older style cars so they look like the seats without headrests. if you don't care about seat resale that could be an option.

sweet car btw!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay92 View Post
                      Damn this thing is rad. Love the chev too. I need a volvo in my life soon
                      Thanks!

Originally posted by reiernumans View Post
                      This thing is so cool!
                      Appreciate it!

Originally posted by drift55 View Post
                      This is beyond awesome
                      Thanks!

Originally posted by dharker View Post
                      Just insane on so many levels. How much power is it making?
                      Thanks, the turbo can handle 550 and head can probably take 450 safely. I'm hoping to get around 400 to the wheels. In reality, the solid rear axle is going to be my main concern going forward. I'm looking to fab in a S13/S14 rear subframe at some point in the future. Maybe my winter project this year haha.

Originally posted by rightfullrudder View Post
                      Wow I love this. The Crown Vic (?) wheels on it looked really cool too.
                      Yeah I love the mesh wheel look as well. When I win the lotto I'll probably rebuild a set of BBS RS's

Originally posted by aLaFleur View Post
                      Well, this is sick as fuck. Good job so far man.
                      Appreciate it. I LOVE your Benz. I'm looking to add a sedan to the collection soon and the old Benz's just keep popping up everywhere. It's a sign from the universe.

Originally posted by P78 View Post
                      those steels came out great
                      Thanks! Took like 10 hours to get all the primer off and clean them up nice. Now they are just starting to patina a bit which I'm cool with. Think I'm going to let them rot for a while and see if I like it.

Originally posted by 0_0Paulk View Post
                      I've seen people cut the tops off of racing seats in older style cars so they look like the seats without headrests. if you don't care about seat resale that could be an option.

sweet car btw!
                      Hmm interesting, never thought about that. I think what I'd like to do is find a set of 70's/80's Recaro LS or LX fishnets. Just reupholster them to match the tan leather. I JUST missed scooping a pair on eBay a few weeks ago! They ended up going for like $250 more than I budgeted for. If anyone has a pair lying around the house let me know!
                      Last edited by Sleeper122; 06-23-2015, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper122 View Post

Appreciate it. I LOVE your Benz. I'm looking to add a sedan to the collection soon and the old Benz's just keep popping up everywhere. It's a sign from the universe.

Haha thanks a lot man. Be warned, they are cunts to work on.
                        IG: ashtonlafleur

Comment

This is awesome. I feel like volvo amazon's are one of the coolest shaped cars ever! You're def doing it justice w/ all the work you've put in! I agree - the recaro looks funky in there.

Comment

Damn, keep it coming!! This is so clean
                            '82 Volvo 242 build
                            '73 Datsun 240z build

Comment

Originally posted by aLaFleur View Post
                              Haha thanks a lot man. Be warned, they are cunts to work on.
                              I hear ya. All these old cars are a pain in the ass to work on haha. Thats why you just gotta say fuck it, bag it and throw a motor you know in there. I'm no purist hahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X