The Tale of a Young Man and a Money Pit ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tale of a Young Man and a Money Pit ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

So I usually spend my time on here looking at everyone else's build threads, but I guess Im gonna give this a whirl

So I;m not going to go into major detail, but basically I acquired this car from an old man in my area who wanted to sell it because he had no more use for it since his wife ***** it and he never drove it. Good enough for me. I had never owned a rotary or even a car with more than 90 HP and this is the first car I ever bought with intentions of modifying. So here is what it looked like when I bought it.

[IMG][/IMG]

I was 17 when I got the car and I;m going to be straight up, I had really terrible taste in modified cars.. Luckily I grew out of that and got the japanese and shakotan style bug. so quickly, (but still on a budget) I started doing things that I knew I wanted to do to the car. First came wheels (mistake). Anyways I ended up going with ESM 002 (BBS RS reps) for my first wheels and I was pretty pumped. I'm not even going to post a picture of what the car looked like with the wheels on without the coilovers...

Basically, even though I was happy about the way the car was going, I decided that I really enjoyed this car, and it was in fantastic shape when I bought it (73,xxx original miles) and I was going to keep this car for a good while so I wanted to do everything right the first time. So my next purchase was the Powered by Max coilovers.. GOOD LORD WAS I EXCITED.

This is with the ESM and the coilovers plus a Shine Auto Project lip that I was too lazy to paint, (even though in retrospect I'm glad it stayed black). Man was I low

[IMG] photo _MG_5016_zps62f1b882.jpg[/IMG]

Anyways a couple years later and I added some more stuff and finally got big boy wheels...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

So yeah.. the car pretty much looks like that last picture as of now.. But that's not going to last long either.. I plan on staying updated with this thread and taking all constructive criticism. Thanks for readin guys. Updates will follow probably once or twice a week. ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

super clean car man!

Originally posted by BozoBubble
    Stance bug bites hard, man, you ain't gonna shake it.

Truck Build

Instagram: somestancekid

Comment

Gotta love a red FC

LOL at the esm's. What are the new wheels?
      Sugar Mama Build - http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=73298

Comment

Not sure if I mentioned this in the above pose but I recently de-beaded a tire on the interstate and it damaged the rim (inner barrel) a little. Nothing major. So this is how the car will sit as of now. I am actually going to take this time to do some stupid little stuff like replace a sway bar link that has been broken for about half a year now, get some new aero and some new interior pieces and really just start to make my new vision for the car become reality. With this being said, that means the Cerberus will be for sale once I have the damage repaired. I plan on completely tearing them down and having the barrels powdercoated black and the lips polished before I try to trade or sell them. Also the aero and mt Corbeaus will be for sale along with the grip royal wheel.

Future plans are some top secret aero, key!s racing wheel, some jdmaf seat and a few other things I don't want to give away just yet

Hopefully this heap still makes it to H2oi this year or maybe even FCF.. who knows, thanks for reading guys Ill keep you posted ´ ▽ ` )ノ

Dat stretch

Sleep tight for now

Comment

dat stretch lol
          Sugar Mama Build - http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=73298

Comment

Ok so no posts recently because I have been saving money up, but Ill try to give you guys a rundown of whats going on. So the Corbeau seats and the Grip Royal are sold. Took that money and put it back for the build. Also decided to order a Powered by Max fender roller so that I can get MAX scene points, its supposed to arrive today so I guess as soon as I find a steering wheel to borrow I will work on the rear fitment some. , (and provide pics of course). Will also be making some money off the fender roller most likely since nobody around my area will do fender rolling anymore..

I planned on running a full authentic BN kit, but when the one I was supposed to purchase arrived in the container, it was in pieces. So i came to the realization that I will be destroying this kit very quickly anyway and I can get the replica kit shipped to my house for a fraction of the cost.... so that is the way I am going to go. I am also in the market for a roof spoiler and possibly some RE mirrors. With all these new pieces coming, and me having a connection with a close friend who does vinyl, I think it is about time to pick a color that I am going to wrap the car. Im not sure what direction I want to go other than I want it to be completely obnoxious. Like alot of sparkle and flake or something.

Anyways I am taking the Cerberus to have the tires removed and the barrels powedercoated in the next week or so. I will most likely keep them simply because they fit so well and they're one of my favorite wheels.

As of now the parts-to-order list is as follows..:

Full BN rep kit

Vertex Racing Wheel

Looking for a single hella-jdm racing seat

Harness for said seat

LED tails from Gnar_factory

And a few other things that I'm not ready to reveal yet (mostly because they are still ideas and not certainties yet)

Moar updates and Pics soon! Thanks for reading!

Comment

When getting kits from japan, sometimes they cut the skirts and bumpers into halves to save $$$ on shipping, or so they have more space in the shipping container. If you glass it properly, and add some glass to the bottom of the kit, it will be more durable than the kit before the cut.

Any engine mods planned?

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
              @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

Originally posted by rice4life View Post
                When getting kits from japan, sometimes they cut the skirts and bumpers into halves to save $$$ on shipping, or so they have more space in the shipping container. If you glass it properly, and add some glass to the bottom of the kit, it will be more durable than the kit before the cut.

Any engine mods planned?
                Yeah that wasn't really the case here. The front clip was between a bunch of Hachi bumpers and the wall of the container and it got flattened. I probably could have still got the kit and repaired it, but it was hard to pass up the rep kit when I live in WV and last time i test fitted that front it was literally sitting on the ground lol..

But as far as engine mods yes.. just not this year. Once i get the car visually where I want it to be, I plan on going 6 port turbo with a streetport. Style over everything! I get a little sliding practice in every now and then, although I am no quite confident enough to take this car on an actual track yet. I wish we had more parking lot events where i could get a really good feel for the car around here. HP goals will be around 350 when I build it.

Comment

keep us updated with pictures
                  Originally posted by s t a y g o l d
                  and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
                  S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by labuffness View Post
                    Yeah that wasn't really the case here. The front clip was between a bunch of Hachi bumpers and the wall of the container and it got flattened. I probably could have still got the kit and repaired it, but it was hard to pass up the rep kit when I live in WV and last time i test fitted that front it was literally sitting on the ground lol..

But as far as engine mods yes.. just not this year. Once i get the car visually where I want it to be, I plan on going 6 port turbo with a streetport. Style over everything! I get a little sliding practice in every now and then, although I am no quite confident enough to take this car on an actual track yet. I wish we had more parking lot events where i could get a really good feel for the car around here. HP goals will be around 350 when I build it.
                    Glad to see that you are going to go with a JDM theme on this. PBM make some really good shit, they are like 20 minutes from my place, and they have a pretty down to earth shop. Have you started premixing yet?

Sounds like a plan mane. Don't eliminate the intake bridge when porting unless you want to balance the eccentric shaft and rotors and shoot for a 10k rpm limit, that much intake port is useless on a street driven car without a huge budger. It's really useless on a street driven car, a mild streetport on 1-2 intake, large streetport on 3-4 exhaust and maybe the largest port allowable without removing the bridge on intake 5-6. My buddy caleb had that setup when we were in high school, it retained it's good manners on the street, and screamed up to 9k. The engine builders said it was good up to 215rwhp all motor NA, and would be a monster to boost even with the higher comp s5 6 port rotors. A cheap alternative to lower the compression if you want a bit safer time boosting, look into the NA s4 rotors, and swap on some good seals. Hope that helps a bit. Oh yeah, most of the TII stuff is a bolt on affair except the IM, but if you go FMIC and standalone, or good piggyback it shouldn't be a problem. In all if you get it all done at a good shop with you helping out a setup that can hold 400 at the crank should be sub $4000 including a cooling system overhaul and supporting mods like injectors.

We are the worlds largest rotary enthusiasts website. We have everything you want to know about Rotary Powered Cars!

The World's Largest Community of RX-7 Owners and Enthusiasts

If you have questions, always check these websites. If you think you have a strange problem, those guys have had the same problem 100 times over. Just put on your flame suit when asking questions.

Oh yeah, welcome to the rotard side.
                    Remember to pay once and cry once. Poorly made engine components and a failure to adhere to the strict maintenence requirements of the 7 is the main downfall of the rotary engine.
                    Last edited by rice4life; 07-24-2015, 11:43 PM.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
                    @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

I vote you spray the kit to match the original red, I love red FCs though! It looks clean, interested to see where this goes

Comment

Originally posted by rice4life View Post
                        Glad to see that you are going to go with a JDM theme on this. PBM make some really good shit, they are like 20 minutes from my place, and they have a pretty down to earth shop. Have you started premixing yet?

Sounds like a plan mane. Don't eliminate the intake bridge when porting unless you want to balance the eccentric shaft and rotors and shoot for a 10k rpm limit, that much intake port is useless on a street driven car without a huge budger. It's really useless on a street driven car, a mild streetport on 1-2 intake, large streetport on 3-4 exhaust and maybe the largest port allowable without removing the bridge on intake 5-6. My buddy caleb had that setup when we were in high school, it retained it's good manners on the street, and screamed up to 9k. The engine builders said it was good up to 215rwhp all motor NA, and would be a monster to boost even with the higher comp s5 6 port rotors. A cheap alternative to lower the compression if you want a bit safer time boosting, look into the NA s4 rotors, and swap on some good seals. Hope that helps a bit. Oh yeah, most of the TII stuff is a bolt on affair except the IM, but if you go FMIC and standalone, or good piggyback it shouldn't be a problem. In all if you get it all done at a good shop with you helping out a setup that can hold 400 at the crank should be sub $4000 including a cooling system overhaul and supporting mods like injectors.

We are the worlds largest rotary enthusiasts website. We have everything you want to know about Rotary Powered Cars!

The World's Largest Community of RX-7 Owners and Enthusiasts

If you have questions, always check these websites. If you think you have a strange problem, those guys have had the same problem 100 times over. Just put on your flame suit when asking questions.

Oh yeah, welcome to the rotard side.
                        Remember to pay once and cry once. Poorly made engine components and a failure to adhere to the strict maintenence requirements of the 7 is the main downfall of the rotary engine.
                        Thanks for the love and tips man! Yeah a big part of me really wants to do the actual rebuild and porting myself. Just take my time and really understand the whole thing. But I will def have a shop do the tuning. HP goals isnt much more than 300 cause I dont wanna destroy the NA rear. But yeah im def an active member on rx7club and have a good many of FC homies. Rotary Love

Originally posted by Zach Thomas View Post
                        I vote you spray the kit to match the original red, I love red FCs though! It looks clean, interested to see where this goes
                        I am super up in the air about a final color of the car. I just know one thing for sure, its going to be obnoxious, like alot of flake and or sparkle.

Comment

Updates as of right now. So i got my fender roller in.

Should be using it sometime this week on the RX to give it a little more of a pull in the rear.

I'm supposed to be heading over my buddys shop sometime this week to get quoted to get the barrels of the cerberus powdercoated. Then after they are done ill rebuild them and put the tires back on which means I can drive. maybe..

I still need to fix the problem of the 10's rubbing the coilover in the front. I have a 7mm slip on now, but I think Im gonna slide a 10mm on there and take the 7 off, should do the trick. Then I need to see if the sway bar is bent or if really is just the broken link thats givng me this terrible rubbing and noise.

Once that is all fixed, I just wanna drive it a couple times. Then to the exhaust shop for st8 pipe goodness

Comment

Hooray for picture heavy updates. So I left off with the PBM fender roller. So a couple days went by and I finally got some free time so this happened.

One side done.. and the heat gone blew up...$3 travel hair drier ftw..

Best pic of fitment (still s*****)..

Comment

So now for the most current update. My new job is helping me to make some decent progress on the car so here are more updates.

I believe that I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was going to give the wheels a little freshen up. So I am doing just that. Had the tires removed at my local shop the other day and tore them apart tonight. I am going to drop the inner barrels off to be powdercoated black so they aren't such a PITA to clean.. While I was doing this I figured I might as well clean some of the hardware, and then I ended up cleaning pretty much all of it and cleaning/polishing the wheels faces. Here are some pictures of the progress. Will update again when barrels come back in and I begin to rebuild wheels. Thanks for reading

Sometimes its the little things that do it for me.. idk

And again...

Chrome Weds Hardware

#ChromeToYaDomeTillYouGetGlockJaw

Comment

Working...
                              X