No announcement yet.

brads 1963 mk1 850 - roll cage complete, got a weber & ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super cool project, can't wait for updates!

Comment

Originally posted by gearheaded View Post
      Super cool project, can't wait for updates!
      Thanks mate, i cant wait either! Slow progress... frustrating!

1963 850 - 1408cc, 45DCOE, 'S' 7.5" brakes, 6-point cage, blasted, Velo GPT-2's, rear beam

Comment

Beam looks nice and sturdy! Does the 4mm not really matter if they're not going to re-make it?

Comment

Originally posted by anth View Post
          Beam looks nice and sturdy! Does the 4mm not really matter if they're not going to re-make it?
          Oh its sturdy! Its 5mm channel (100x50) so it has no flex and will be bolted at the ends and then also where the inside of the trailing arms mount. Those inner bolts will go through the vertical to beneath the horizontal seat base. We can run shims on the inside of the channel to add positive or negative toe.

The 4mm in overall length doesnt matter but the holes needed to be 4mm further out. I dropped the beam back off and they'll weld the existing holes up and re-drill both pairs 2mm closer to their respective ends to get that 4mm. The holes will also be 9mm this time, 8mm was just too tight.

Picking it up at lunch or this afternoon depending on where im working (im 5 minutes away atm)

1963 850 - 1408cc, 45DCOE, 'S' 7.5" brakes, 6-point cage, blasted, Velo GPT-2's, rear beam

Comment

so the beam now fits very well

cant see it that well, but there's only 2mm of extra space left to the side of the beam. It's the same on the other side. If need be we can make it again and add the extra width, in case we're worried there isn't enough "meat" with the hole so close to the edge

I also got the delivery from Velo of seat mounts and one seat slide. I'm confused as how the slides meant to go together properly, but im sure it can be figured out without growing grey hairs

rail setup 1

rail setup2

seat with bracket, it now doesnt rock!

Comment

Ordered my new wheels today. The following with black centres and polished outers.

10x7", with 3.5" inner and outer rims

Comment

Awesome build so far! You can't beat a track ready mk1 mini
                My '88 Golf GTI - http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59460

lowered, because it makes the boobies bounce

Comment

Great to see you persisting with the build mate. I have a real soft spot for Minis after owning one of the last ones made in the original body style from Japan.

I'm in Sydney too. My mechanic is right into his Minis as well. Owns a few NB class cars so if you need anything shoot me a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg|H View Post
                    Awesome build so far! You can't beat a track ready mk1 mini
                    Thanks mate! I think any old car made track ready is sweet

Originally posted by unusual View Post
                    Great to see you persisting with the build mate. I have a real soft spot for Minis after owning one of the last ones made in the original body style from Japan.

I'm in Sydney too. My mechanic is right into his Minis as well. Owns a few NB class cars so if you need anything shoot me a PM.
                    Thanks bud, i will send you a PM about your mechanic

So i figured as the car will be 95% on-road i need some of this

Probably way too much material for a mini, but it was 40% off

Comment

I forgot to say that the engineer came over on wednesday afternoon. We went through everything we could think of. The engineer was super helpful, and gave us some great additions.

We have a revised design for the rear end beam (will now pick up the original rear most subframe mounts), but we can have a higher/flat floor, move the battery into the cab behind the passenger seat, create new seatbelt mounts for lapsash when we tie the main roll cage hoop into the b-pillar, have a turret brace in the rear, run a fuel cell with a swirl pot (for future EFI), have a type of side intrusion system in the doors, we have a design for the seat mounts thats solid and works, should be able to legally run 10x7 wheels, braided brake lines, dual circuit brake system with lines in the cab, run an AFR guage, and a weber bulkhead box...

All completely legal and road registered/insured

Comment

No updates, but i have found a new temporary home for mini so it doesnt have to go outside
                        plenty of space!

This is why minis are sick

Comment

A mate and I have ordered some semi-slick style road legal tyres -->CLICK ME for 165/70R10 FORMULA-R D93J

Just also, seriously lacking motivation for this car. I have done bugger all to it for ages, and im struggling getting into gear. I know i have bought stuff, which is exciting, but getting my hands dirty hasnt happened in ages. I just grabbed a foldable seat and sat down to stare at it this evening for 40 minutes.

Comment

I end up just sitting in the car when I don't have the motivation, usually works after making engine noises for a few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by scotto View Post
                              I end up just sitting in the car when I don't have the motivation, usually works after making engine noises for a few minutes.
                              I might give that a whirl. Should buy a steering wheel to make it feel more authentic

Comment

Carl at Force Racing posted this pic of a wheel on their Facebook page overnight. Its exactly like what mine should be, and he mentioned they're for a far away land (australias pretty far from the UK!)

Even if not, my wheels are exactly this. Same offset, inner/outer dimensions, colour and style.
                                I have sent an email to confirm, but being from pommieland i could get a reply anytime up to about 2am (6pm UK time)

In other news im going to drop my weber and 12g940 head off to my mechanic John Leffler. He has finished my hubs with new bearings and CV joints, ball joints, brake lines, new brake switch etc; but wants the driveshafts so he can put the CVs and everything together. IF i have driveshafts then i'll drop the head and weber off together. Otherwise Leffler will order them in

I have also heard of a new 200+hp supercharged lightweight mini coming up. Cant say anything more, but it should be special. It has the right people involved!

Comment

Working...
                                X