Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Infiniti Q45 Flagship Luxury Sedan, Track/Autox/Drift Build!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thebornotaku View Post
    Well considering 90% of this forum is E36s, Benzes, Lexuses or Hondas it's really cool to see somebody taking not only a reall uncommon car but doing something really uncommon for that type of car.

If you had told me that somebody was building a track/autoX car out of a full size Infiniti, I would tell you that they're crazy.

I'm not saying you're not crazy, but it's a good crazy. There's probably a ton better platforms than this but at the end of the day you'll be the only Q45 out on track I reckon.

Also sucks about no longer cancelling, when I had my OMP hub in my old Volvo it still cancelled the blinker but I don't know how the MOMOs are designed.
    I am a mechanic and I work on all the common/popular cars you mentioned. The only advantage is they have a huge aftermarket following. The q45 is basically a big skyline r32. it shares the same suspension and drivetrain components (thank god). I was not at a disadvantage, it was faster than the miata's honda's bmw's, zo6 corvettes and many others at the autox and time attack on track. setup, knowlage and driver are what makes a platform shine. I will post more about this later, but you may be seeing me and my car on national TV in a month or so on MAV TV. I am glad to be called crazy. Normal cars with bolt on parts bore me to death.

I hope this build was entertaining to you and everyone who sees it in the future. I am in dire need of sponsors, I have a hand full of local support, but dont have a popular car so its difficult to get attention. your comments and support are helpful, and you and everyone here has been part of the reason i kept going and "finished" this build and accomplished my goals. I need to recover financially for a while then I will get back to work on this, possibly forced induction or my old nitrous kit.

stay tuned for more pictures of the race livery and upgraded flywheel and custom side exhaust.
    Instagram: @subtledriver
    youtube.com/subtledriver
    FACEBOOK.COM/JustinGoenRacing
    BIG BODY TRACK RACING SEDAN BUILD:
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=73322

Comment

• Originally posted by subtledriver View Post
      I am a mechanic and I work on all the common/popular cars you mentioned. The only advantage is they have a huge aftermarket following. The q45 is basically a big skyline r32. it shares the same suspension and drivetrain components (thank god). I was not at a disadvantage, it was faster than the miata's honda's bmw's, zo6 corvettes and many others at the autox and time attack on track. setup, knowlage and driver are what makes a platform shine. I will post more about this later, but you may be seeing me and my car on national TV in a month or so on MAV TV. I am glad to be called crazy. Normal cars with bolt on parts bore me to death.

I hope this build was entertaining to you and everyone who sees it in the future. I am in dire need of sponsors, I have a hand full of local support, but dont have a popular car so its difficult to get attention. your comments and support are helpful, and you and everyone here has been part of the reason i kept going and "finished" this build and accomplished my goals. I need to recover financially for a while then I will get back to work on this, possibly forced induction or my old nitrous kit.

stay tuned for more pictures of the race livery and upgraded flywheel and custom side exhaust.
      +1 about normal cars with bolt-ons

says the guy who drives a normal ass VW with cheap coilovers

But yeah I feel like a lot of people are drawn to easy bolt-on stuff, I can understand why and have definitely been enjoying it with my VW but at the end of the day, fabbing stuff up isn't insanely difficult, you've just gotta have the balls to actually do it and the understanding of how it works.

AutoX is infinitely more about the driver than anything else. I watched a guy in a boner-stock 87 Accord with an automatic wipe up the floor with dudes in Porsches at my local autoX. Simply because the guy with the Accord was actually a race driver (he's a semipro drifter), with a ton of track time dicking around in his DD versus all the old Porsche guys who were bringing their garage candy out for the weekend and were too scared to drive it like it's meant to be. Hell I was faster than a few of 'em in my old 85 Volvo even, but I think the difference there too is I was driving at 11/10ths and they were at like 3-5/10ths

And yeah, this build was entertaining as hell so far but I hope it's not the end. I can definitely see a lot of coverage in this car's future if you keep going the way you're going. And even if you don't have a big budget, you're getting shit done.
      2009 Volkswagen Rabbit 2.5L "Snowbunny"
      1987 Volvo 244DL M47 "Turd Ferguson"
      1974 Volkswagen SuperBeetle 1303 "Diego"

Comment

+1 about normal cars with bolt-ons

says the guy who drives a normal ass VW with cheap coilovers

But yeah I feel like a lot of people are drawn to easy bolt-on stuff, I can understand why and have definitely been enjoying it with my VW but at the end of the day, fabbing stuff up isn't insanely difficult, you've just gotta have the balls to actually do it and the understanding of how it works.

AutoX is infinitely more about the driver than anything else. I watched a guy in a boner-stock 87 Accord with an automatic wipe up the floor with dudes in Porsches at my local autoX. Simply because the guy with the Accord was actually a race driver (he's a semipro drifter), with a ton of track time dicking around in his DD versus all the old Porsche guys who were bringing their garage candy out for the weekend and were too scared to drive it like it's meant to be. Hell I was faster than a few of 'em in my old 85 Volvo even, but I think the difference there too is I was driving at 11/10ths and they were at like 3-5/10ths

And yeah, this build was entertaining as hell so far but I hope it's not the end. I can definitely see a lot of coverage in this car's future if you keep going the way you're going. And even if you don't have a big budget, you're getting shit done.

I agree with you on driver.
        and coverage usually happens to those with connections and hookups. One of my goals is to get this car in a video game. If anyone here has a connection with NFS or Forza, please let me know!

I also want to get this car in a major publication like Super Street. Again, let me know if you have a connection.
        youtube.com/subtledriver

Comment

• Some pictures of the car after getting the race livery by my friend Ethan Hollander
          EHDmedia.com www.facebook.com/EHDmediacom

instagram: @EHD_Media

He can make your car look official starting around $200-300

They also do wraps, custom decals, t-shirts, business signs, custom projector lights, LED's, etc.

youtube.com/subtledriver

Comment

• Work on Custom side exit exhaust with electric cutout has started:

ps. old flowmaster system for sale. $150 picked up, or i can install it for a fee. Located in San diego.

youtube.com/subtledriver

Comment

I agree with you on driver.
              and coverage usually happens to those with connections and hookups. One of my goals is to get this car in a video game. If anyone here has a connection with NFS or Forza, please let me know!

I also want to get this car in a major publication like Super Street. Again, let me know if you have a connection.
              I feel like trying to get a pre-modded car that's not a big production company or anything in to a videogame is a stretch, though that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

I know a guy whose car they used for Forza 3 or 4, can't remember which. But they chose his because it was the closest thing to the stock representation of that car they were looking for. Really good condition 1982 Volvo 242 Turbo that had been modified to close to Group A spec which is what they wanted.

Publication would be neat though. Sadly I don't know anybody otherwise I would be talking. But I feel like this could be an awesome feature in something like Modified.

Comment

• Replaced the Smaller rb25/vg30 n/a clutch with a larger 32 twin turbo clutch and flywheel. replaced the original pressure plate bolts with some new ones, preventative maintenance.... Side note: it only took me about an hour to pull the transmission and replace the clutch and re-install the whole assy including dropping exhaust and starter. Another plus when you design your own system with "easy to service" in mind.

Also changed the power steering pressure hose because of a small crack in the rubber.

The stage 3 clutch and flywheel combo is in good shape, not overheated, low wear, and it is for sale. $125 obo. contact me on instagram or post here.

Last edited by subtledriver; 10-19-2015, 07:44 PM.
                youtube.com/subtledriver

Comment

• So long story short, I made it to Ultimate Street Car Challenge. Competed in all 5 events over a 2 day period and you may be seeing me and my car on national tv in a month or so. Station is called: "MavTV" I also fared pretty well, Was getting faster lap times than most of the field, including z06 corvettes, and some new z28 Camero's with superchargers and carbon brake rotors. I was definitely the heaviest and lowest powered car in my class, but that didnt stop me from getting 12th out of 30. and I ranked at least in the top half overall including the lightweight class. My goal was to have fun, be different and challenge myself. As well as gain as much media exposure for my sponsors!

The g50 chassis may become suddenly more popular soon. ;-p

When I get a chance, I will edit and post some video footage of my car on the race track.

youtube.com/subtledriver

Comment

• The q45 was pictured and mentioned in this awesome online media article!

Optima's search for the ultimate street car, is a series of events that takes place throughout the U.S with the final event in Las Vegas following the SEMA.
                    youtube.com/subtledriver

Comment

• Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing this on TV, always cool to see a S/W member get some coverage.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
                      @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

• Originally posted by rice4life View Post
                        Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing this on TV, always cool to see a S/W member get some coverage.
                        Thanks man! I hope someone can record it for me, I don't have any cable or dish and can't really afford it because of tires and brakes. haha!
                        youtube.com/subtledriver

Comment

Thanks man! I hope someone can record it for me, I don't have any cable or dish and can't really afford it because of tires and brakes. haha!

all about that race life.

Comment

all about that race life.

re-reading my quote almost brought a tear to my eyes.
                            youtube.com/subtledriver

Comment

re-reading my quote almost brought a tear to my eyes.
                              TV sucks anyways man, get an internet connection and a netflix account and you're golden.

Plus who needs TV when you're too busy building an awesome drift car?

Comment

• This thread makes me all warm and fuzzy inside
                                Awesome build with some nice technical coverage as well! It gives me hope again in building my Volvo 850 estate to an awesome semi-trackcar
                                If shit can happen, shit's bound to happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X