Woodward Designs 2001 Audi TT 225 Roadster project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

The lower central honeycomb grille from my original bumper has been fitted to the V6 bumper with tabs to mount it securely in place.

After listing out the body panels with bad clear and talking timeframe, I decided straight black would be my best bet as far as being able to do the paintwork in stages (underhood/door jambs before full exterior.

Access to the paint booth is sporadic until summer time, so this will help get it done sooner. Thanks to a knowledgeable body and paint man (works on concept cars and high profile Shelby replica builds) I'll be shaving the spoiler, the line that surrounds the grille, the headlamp washer cutouts, the front plate area, and the vertical lines in the rear bumper under the taillights.

This inspiration should give an idea of the look post-paint (though I'll have my lowered black roll hoops and dual exhaust exits since this was a 180hp model):

I want to stay away from air for this build as it is my year round daily, but I don't know who makes a a good middle of the road coilover setup for these cars (I want it low, but not ridiculously so, and I'd like some semblance of ride comfort - sacrificing 10/10 performance is fine, there is the Miata for autocross days.)

Any thoughts on suspension setup/wheel color choices that would complement this in black?
      Last edited by silverstonepgt; 02-29-2016, 03:47 AM.

Comment

On the Audi TT verts, the roll bars are there for a reason. They are completely functional and not just there for looks. The vert is as safe as the coupe in a rollover when the roll bars are original and in tact. Good job, you've compromised safety for aesthetics! Oh yeah, by cutting into the hoops and welding them, the original metal is most likely more brittle than it was before if you plan on installing them shortened, if so they will fold over and snap your neck in a hard rear end impact or rollover. If you're lucky you might survive with a broken neck, but some might call that unlucky.

Hope this doesn't happen to you.

I don't mind convertible cars that don't have them installed from the factory, but intentionally removing functional roll bars integral to the safety of the vehicle in a crash seems a bit counter intuitive.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
        @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

Originally posted by rice4life View Post
          I don't mind convertible cars that don't have them installed from the factory, but intentionally removing functional roll bars integral to the safety of the vehicle in a crash seems a bit counter intuitive.

But mah styul

lol safety clearly isn't paramount here with the rep wheels either, but it's all good. Your life, your choice. As long as you're not actively endangering other people on the road (which is debatable with reps anyway), I don't really care

@OP, you should lower it. Not only would it look better, but it would also reduce the change of a rollover. Also, please remove the fake BBS center caps from the fake BBS wheels if you're oging to keep running them. Dont be that guy

Comment

Originally posted by nishy View Post
            But mah styul

lol safety clearly isn't paramount here with the rep wheels either, but it's all good. Your life, your choice. As long as you're not actively endangering other people on the road (which is debatable with reps anyway), I don't really care

@OP, you should lower it. Not only would it look better, but it would also reduce the change of a rollover. Also, please remove the fake BBS center caps from the fake BBS wheels if you're oging to keep running them. Dont be that guy
            I'm not concerned with the reps. I bent one on a terrible pothole and it held up well enough to be repaired by the local aluminum pro without any issues in the ensuing 3 years. I'm also in my thirties and don't drive like an asshat.

I agree the center caps are terrible - we'll be putting logos there instead, these were just the cheapest in the right size.

Originally posted by rice4life View Post
            On the Audi TT verts, the roll bars are there for a reason. They are completely functional and not just there for looks. The vert is as safe as the coupe in a rollover when the roll bars are original and in tact. Good job, you've compromised safety for aesthetics! Oh yeah, by cutting into the hoops and welding them, the original metal is most likely more brittle than it was before if you plan on installing them shortened, if so they will fold over and snap your neck in a hard rear end impact or rollover. If you're lucky you might survive with a broken neck, but some might call that unlucky.

Hope this doesn't happen to you.

I work in the industry with NHTSA data and crash statistics, and if the likelihood of rolling over a convertible wasn't so ridiculous compared to what most people are willing to drive on a daily basis, I might not have trimmed these.

In all seriousness though, I took 30mm off the hoops, I'm short, and there was no welding involved.... Have you even seen the underlying structure? Because it's still going to be better than these convertibles that don't have them from the factory - the ones that you're fine with. Don't worry, you don't have to ride in it

On another note, I've lost a bit of momentum on this project thanks to a new project... details to come.

Comment

Working...
            X