M52 BMW 2002 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M52 BMW 2002 build

I'm starting off with a forest green 1974 BMW 2002 with a 2.0 flat 4 that has been sitting in a field for a few years and repairing the rust, swapping an m52 with an m42 transmission, and creating a stripped street racecar.

The car: I bought it in addition to a 1976 2002 in late December from an older man that owns 2 more.
    The 1974 had a half taken apart engine with no transmission or driveshaft. There is some rust holes on the passenger floor, fenders, hood, and 2 rocker panels, surface rust on the roof and trunk.
    The 1976 was spray painted flat blCk over the oem light blue. It was running (barely) with a string holding the alternator up away from the fan tied to the opened carburetor missing the air filter and with a seized cylinder. It was full of rust around the front and rear windshield which spread into the car under the dash and on the driver rear pillar. The driver and passenger floor were rusted, almost unsalvageable. I stripped it and cut all the salvageable pieces off it (fenders, doors, one rocker panel, trunk , ect.) and brought it to the scrap yard for $35.

The motor: it's from a 528i previously swapped into a 1989 325is with about 180k miles. The e30 was totaled over a year ago and since then has been in a garage fire and has bad smoke damage so it is being parted out.

The driveline: taken out of a 1991 318is I got running a year and a half ago and has been sitting in my backyard since September. I'm using the 4.10 LSD internals in the original 2002 casing. I'm using the m42 transmission for the long gears and enough pull to take off from a stop and moving.

Purchases already: driveline, nardi steering wheel, and z3 bimmerworld short shifter.

Plans: rust free, m52, dynamat floors, shaved trim, 2 recaro racing seats, caged, Catuned coilovers, Condor Speed Shop goodies, Ireland Engineering alpina-style air dam, Ireland Engineering turbo-style fender flares, painted OEM light blue, 16x7.5 16x8.5 ET20 Fifteen52 forged 3-piece snowflakes, custom exhaust, Renown Monaco steering wheel, and Wilwood BBK.

Sounds like an awesome project, put up some pictures!

Comment

I wish this actually came to pass but i went to college and sold the cars and parts. this one still hurts my soul knowing I let it slip out of my hands!

Comment

My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
        http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Comment

Working...
        X