R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

Originally posted by 244Brick View Post
      Im in love
      Thanks bud

Originally posted by efficient
      sick build
      Thank you!

So, a few small updates. I just finished the last of my midterms and spring break is starting. Hopefully I'll make some decent progress now

To start, I finally ordered some seat brackets for the Cobras. I went with Kirkey universal ones. Looks like I'll need to extend them about 1"

My next project involved me destroying something that worked to try to make it better. The aluminum radiator I got was for a late model e30. However, after trying to run the metal coolant hose I realized that I did not have enough room to fit it between the radiator/waterpump. Faced with this problem, I figured I could just run a long aluminum pipe across the top of the motor instead of in front of it like a late model. But then I'd have a 3' coolant hose :???: So instead...... I decided to chop it up and convert it to an early model radiator. This consequently reduced the length of my coolant hoses quite a bit.

Here's pics of chopping the existing inlet/outlets off the radiator

Next I cut new holes into the end tanks of the radiator to relocate the inlet/outlet. After that I test fitted the pieces of tubing I was going to use

Then last night after dropping it off at Wot-Tech to get welded, I was able to pick it up. I'm happy with how it came out!

[

Next I test fitted the radiator hoses. Everything fits much better than before and I have a lot more room! I'll end up using some scrap pieces of tubing so I can shorten the hoses a couple inches in the middle. Other than that, the coolant system is done.

For this one I'll need to get a little creative, but it's so much better than before.

Check out my m20 turbo'd 2002 build thread

Comment

' have the fan wired by a SPST switch for now, and then I'll wire it to a temp switch after I see the rang of temps the motor experiences.

So I tackled the rest of the cooling system today. I ran the hoses to the radiator

Then I tried a different hose I liked better for the upper hose

The with the coolant hoses officially made I decided it was time to mount the electric fan. I'll be making the fan shroud later for it

Comment

This is so radical. Seriously awesome work man. Can't wait to see it rippin burnouts soon.

INSTAWHAT

Tumblr

Flickr

Comment

u suck @ build threads fgt

Instagram: ian_ballzz

e30 build thread

Comment

How the fuck have I missed this? Damn. Loved the e30 so much and this is even better. You're rad. Be my friend?
              IG: ashtonlafleur

Comment

I managed to get the radiator installed, coolant system bled, fan wired up, and a few other misc things allowing me to take it for a legit test drive! Here's a pic of me making it to a 7-11 near by.

The ride there was super hectic. There was lots of tire squealing, flames, and screams, and cries of joy. But let's not mess around, we know that pictures cant substitute an actual video of the ride!

[YOUTUBE]DQtxF2AOWC0&feature[/YOUTUBE]

So besides tackling that animal, I also began wrapping up the transmission tunnel. This weekend a good friend of mine came into town and brought some sheet metal so we could begin to fab up a tunnel.

I had a "little" hole I had to patch up :

So we started off by measuring the length of the tunnel, and width at the beginning and end. After trimming the sheet up a bit we were left with this

Next the end was folded and boxed in to close the tunnel

And here's a pic of it mocked up on top of the tunnel

To top it off, my e30 diff --> 2002 trailing arm chromoly axles came in today!
                I'll have to post pics of those later

Comment

I sealed the RS's & drilled holes for valvestems/installed them

Then an attempt to mount the tire was made

Then it was test fitted on the car. Looks like with a few degrees of camber in the front they'll fit great :p

But sadly, I can't run that tire. When the tire shop tried to mount it, they ripped the bead without realizing. So when they filled it with air, it popped the sidewall. This is because I have a very small drop center with the wheel. The pic below helps explain how the drop center was moved further inwards compared to where a 3" lip places it. Because I used a barrel as a lip, it pushed the drop center very far inwards. I'm not giving up on these, mounting tires will just be........interesting :wink:

Then I picked up a pair of Simpson harnesses from a friend. They match the seats nicely

The seat brackets I used were Kirkeys, that I had lengthened by Wottech. Thanks again John :

Then I didnt really take any pics of how I mounted it to the stock seat sliders or how they look installed in the car :doh: I will next time I upload some pics

The slap window is progressing nicely.........

Some random pics of it I have on my phone

Then yesterday I drove it to school. Still no hood/trans tunnel lol. It was a good simulation of what I'll experience driving. 20 miles each way, and some standstill traffic. The car runs a little too hot for my liking, I am planning on adding a second fan in front of the intercooler seeing as how the car only starts to overheat when it is stopped. Too bad I can't fit a bigger fan behind the radiator :

Then I got some lunch with a friend

Earlier today I brought the car to John to see if we could make a harness bar. I walked away wanting a half cage 1: I mean, I have to reinforce the rear shock towers anyways........

Comment

Had a banner made for the car. I've since then cleaned up the garage lol

I've been driving the 02 around lately, testing it out and seeing what needs work. My main issue by far has been keeping the coolant temps down

I hung out with a few friends at Ikea

And I struggled getting these to fit......until I got a fender roller and pulled the fenders :p

Then I swapped the large stock wheel out for a smaller one

I took off the bumperettes and the rear reflectors. That cleaned the rear end up a lot

But here's what everyone wants to see :eeek:

Then, the inner adult in me came out, and I ordered a programable fuel gauge. This way I'd know when I'm running out of gas, instead of carrying around a jerry can

My friend Niko, with the black e36 on super advans above, gave me his old pair of ksports. Coincidentally they take the same size bolt for the eyelet on the bottom, and would work perfectly to make a true rear coilover setup. I have my parts list created to make a set of front coils, hopefully I can throw together a set within the month

Then a couple days ago I made a fan shroud for the radiator. It worked great, sadly I can'y space the fan very far off of the radiator due to size constraints in the engine bay

I'm literally splitting hairs with the current setup. Thank god for solid mounts 1:

Comment

So I've been keeping busy over the past couple weeks. I pulled a set of Volvo calipers at the junkyard to use on the front struts. This allows you to upgrade from a solid rotor to a vented rotor.

IMG-20150404-WA0003 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

Next my friend found me his old set of vw mk4 calipers. These will be used in the rear to convert from drums to disks!

IMG-20150404-WA0006 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

IMG-20150405-WA0028 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

IMG-20150405-WA0029 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

Next I ordered a brake biasing valve

CAM01617 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

CAM01618 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

Next I began the process of finding/making coilovers for the car. Most of the options on the market will cost you well over $1000. I managed to do the following for quite less.

To start, the rears were converted to a true coilover. The stock springs needed to be removed after setting the car up on jack stands.

CAM01611 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

Here's a pic comparing the stock 2002 rear shock mount to the new ones I'll be using.

CAM01605 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

CAM01609 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

After a quick test fit I saw that I will be reducing my droop considerably with these. They're shock height adj, spring height adj, and dampening adj. Not bad :dontknow:

CAM01607 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

CAM01608 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

CAM01610 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

This is full droop with the shock adjusted all the way down. Looks like I found a good match

CAM01613 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

So after wrapping up the rear coils I moved onto the front. Springs and perches
                      IMG-20150410-WA0009 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

I decided to use a coilover sleeve/perch for an e30 with a 2.5" spring. Struts were switched out from stock to a vw mk1 rabbit strut & the housings were shortened.

CAM01620 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

CAM01621 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

Next I had to shave the brake line brackets off

IMG-20150418-WA0012 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

IMG-20150418-WA0014 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

To align the two tubes, an easy thing to do is use a section of a stock e30 strut housing. Nobody seems to have mentioned/done this before, but the ID of the e30 strut tube is the OD of the 02 strut tube. And coincidentially the coilover perches that everyone says to use(on 2002faq) fit e30s. So the OD of our e30 strut tube works with the sleeves and such.

IMG-20150418-WA0016 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

IMG-20150418-WA0015 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

IMG-20150418-WA0013 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

So here's the finished product. One thing that I didn't mention is that when you section the 02 housings you'll also add a spacer underneath the shock. This is so the gland nut can properly tighten the shock down down.

CAM01626 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

Here they are with the volvo BBK on

CAM01638 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

CAM01637 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

So now I was able to begin to install the front coilovers. First comes the removal of the stock strut assembly. But while I was in there, I replaced the ball joints & did the whole Condor Speed Shop front end bushing kit. I previously saw that someone installed poly swaybar links and that the tie tods were in great shape.

CAM01644 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

Here's a pic comparing stock to not

CAM01646 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

New ball joints were installed and then greased for easy removal in the future

CAM01643 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

CAM01647 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

Brought the control arms to the shop to press out the old bushings in preparation for the Condor ones!

CAM01648 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

Next I saw that I needed spring hats but forgot to order a pair. So to reduce my cost more, I just worked with what I had. I drilled out the spot welds on the stock top hat to get rid of that inner dome.

CAM01649 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

CAM01650 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

CAM01651 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

Next I cleaned and greased the top hat bearings. With everything assembled after that I began the install

CAM01645 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

CAM01656 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

This is the front droop

CAM01652 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

With all the Condor bushings installed, the wheel bearings torqued, and the coils installed, it was time to put the car back on the ground!

IMG-20150425-WA0001 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

IMG-20150425-WA0000 by jasonbelina, on Flickr

Okay, now I officially mananed to catch you guys up lol! Sorry about that

Originally posted by Pseudonyms View Post
                      This is so radical. Seriously awesome work man. Can't wait to see it rippin burnouts soon.
                      Thanks Miller!

Originally posted by eethirty View Post
                      u suck @ build threads fgt
                      I know I'm more active on r3v tho

Originally posted by aLaFleur View Post
                      How the fuck have I missed this? Damn. Loved the e30 so much and this is even better. You're rad. Be my friend?
                      Thanks mang!

Last edited by Absorbantnut; 04-26-2015, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Yeeeeeeeees <3

Once I have more stickers made I'll send a care package your way.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGang View Post
                          Yeeeeeeeees <3

Once I have more stickers made I'll send a care package your way.
                          You're the best ( ˘ ³˘)♥

Comment

Originally posted by Absorbantnut View Post

I know I'm more active on r3v tho

Its ok

Instagram: ian_ballzz

e30 build thread

Comment

holy jessus this is gonna be sick. sounds awesome too

Comment

how all 2002s should be

just awesome
                                Sugar Mama Build - http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=73298

Comment

Working...
                                X