Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: The United States Of StanceWorks - 2009 Cross-Country Tour

haha, mike, looks like your having fun so far.....

oh yeah.... busted another oil pan today...in kentucky again.... word of advice...stay away from kentucky... haha
    -ben
    ...fake splits for days...

Quote Originally Posted by 87e30 View Post
    Question. Why was the rain SUCH a problem? I mean I get that it's not comfortable but I'm not sure why it was so scary.
    Well, as you know the cars dumped, and when rolling hard you need to see bumps and dips so you don't hit them. Add to that a smashed windshield and having tovroll up the windows on a car with superheat... And when it's pouring rain we can
    't see shit, so that's why it's scary.

Quote Originally Posted by DuWerk View Post
    That's funny, I flew to mikes from Baltimore ( was visiting my brother) and I live in Boston
    I am going home in 3 weeks. Maybe we can meet up in one of the two locations.

Well, as you know the cars dumped, and when rolling hard you need to see bumps and dips so you don't hit them. Add to that a smashed windshield and having tovroll up the windows on a car with superheat... And when it's pouring rain we can
    damn lol

Rain-X is your friend. And how in the hell are you guys only getting 12 mpg? I did a similar run in Ratty and got like...19...

How many dead hookers do you guys have in that trunk?
    Ol Dirty Bastard - RIP

Photo by Alex Dooley
    2016 Ducati Scrambler, 2015 Subaru Impreza

Quote Originally Posted by theseeker411 View Post
    Rain-X is your friend. And how in the hell are you guys only getting 12 mpg? I did a similar run in Ratty and got like...19...

the trailer may have something to do with it....

Quote Originally Posted by theseeker411 View Post

Trailer and a cam, and mikes lead foot. Not sure Rain-X works well on shattered glass .

on your trip home -- if ya`ll want to detour through St Louis I offer couches, home cooking ( from the wife ) full shop access if needed, and brew time fun.

Our roads are mucho better.

Quote Originally Posted by 87e30 View Post
    Question. Why was the rain SUCH a problem? I mean I get that it's not comfortable but I'm not sure why it was so scary.
    Dumped Cars+ Pouring Rain= Aw Fuck.

Ahhh. Gotcha. Good luck with that...

Loving these updates and pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by c-ron View Post
    Dumped Cars+ Pouring Rain= Aw Fuck.
    tell me about it... I didn't think it was a big deal either, but years ago I was driving my car just after dark and rain started coming down so badly. It was all I could do to stay focused on everything around me. I either hit a pothole or something big in the road. It sounded like my wheel fell off. I wound up damaging the sidewall of the tire.

Contact from M Burroughs through text message:

6:37 MST:
    MBurroughs: "We had to stop and put the exhaust back on."

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

wow, im loving this!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNeek View Post

Contact from M Burroughs through text message:

6:37 MST:
    MBurroughs: "We had to stop and put the exhaust back on."

I am guessing that they are still in Texas. If they are trying to go through El Paso that is one hell of a long haul.

Anyone else care to make a guess.

Best of luck to "Trusty Rusty", Mike and DuWerk.

Quote Originally Posted by grippymonkey View Post
    tell me about it... I didn't think it was a big deal either, but years ago I was driving my car just after dark and rain started coming down so badly. It was all I could do to stay focused on everything around me. I either hit a pothole or something big in the road. It sounded like my wheel fell off. I wound up damaging the sidewall of the tire.
    I had to drive home in the dark with HEAVY rain, stiff as fuck E30 M3, semi worn out Toyo R888, 75% LSD after a trackday. Potholes wasn't my main concern tho. Having the car lose traction in 5th gear ALL THE TIME was the bigger issue.
    Last edited by Schieldrop; 08-01-2009 at 10:18 PM.
    |Proper stance and stretch = An acquired taste|

Quote Originally Posted by Schieldrop View Post
    I had to drive home in the dark with HEAVY rain, stiff as fuck E30 M3, semi worn out Toyo R888, 75% LSD after a trackday. Potholes wasn't my main concern tho. Having the car lose traction in 5th gear ALL THE TIME was the bigger issue.
    Damn, sounds rough. Sounds like the general consensus is that modified cars don't like rain haha. Looking forward to more pictars!
    Quote Originally Posted by da3bous View Post
    I want you to photoshop a giant penis down the side of my car

We called it quits here in Odessa, TX. Gonna make the haul to El Paso and straight through to Tucson in the AM. Waking up at 2am, Pacific time.

Chapter two coming in a bit.

when i was headed over to IA09 i thought that arkansas roads where better than TN i was draggin exhaust all over memphis. seems like a super badass trip. what u going to cali for anyway? especially with your car over heating i would have turned around and fix that shit

This is still the worst fun I've ever had. Sooooo tired right now, can't wait to sleep, I'll upload my pictures in a second.

zomg watta trip hope you guys make it there in one peice, this does look like one great classic roadtrip though

stay safe guys -webb

oh and +1 on the rain x, she is my best friend

Chapter Two: Don't Ever, Under Any Circumstance, Mess With Texas

So basically Texas is trying to kill us.

Well, we got a semi-late start today... we got on the road about 10:30. We began two hours east of Dallas, just in to texas pretty much.
    It wasn't 20 minutes in before the ominous clouds decided to let loose.

So we had to deal with rain right away, which we already explained sucks to a rather large extent.

Shortly after the rain went away, the car overheated, so we once again threw the hood on the roof which cured the problem for the day. While throwing the hood on the roof, we realized the trailer was missing a fender, which means one is off somewhere in the middle of texas. Neither of us heard or felt it come off. Fortunately there were no cars around us... Could have been bad. I'm sure there's a lecture coming from someone on BF.c or something, however, the welds were good, it somehow decided to break off.

So we pulled the other fender off to match.

And then of course, more insane rain. We got soaked putting the hood back on the car. We look retarded, I know.

So we rolled on after waiting for a bit. Eventually we cleared the rain, and a few more towns. We came to a truck stop, and after checkin' the e28, we got the guy to take a photo... of course he was wearing the perfect shirt.

More driving.

And again, Texas took its anger out on us. The exhaust came off. Hanging from the headers, we were straight draggin' it.

After a ghetto fix, we were back at it once again.

We drove some more, and the sun went down.

We decided to call it a night, and got a Hotel here in Odessa... We covered about 500 miles today. Not much, but considering the car we're driving and what we're accomplishing, I think its just fine. I challenge anyone else to do it better!

So now we're at the hotel. More Texas payback- we have a hole in one of my hydraulic lines (Power Steering and Brake Assist.. sortof a big deal considering I need to brake for the car and a trailer.)... Its absolutely pissing fluid... gonna have to come up with a fix in the AM. Hopefully I can get it to slow down.
    The trailer floor came loose in a spot as well, but that's not too big of a deal. Just have to fix 'er in the AM. Easy.

Anyway, we'll make it to Tucson tomorrow around 10am-12pm assuming TX doesn't actually kill us.

Let's hope.

Last edited by M.Burroughs; 08-01-2009 at 11:50 PM.

Ahhhh sittn at home is looking better and better

Damn it I wish I went with ya. This is like a dakar rally mixed with the cannon ball.

Sounds like the three of you had a full day.

I just replaced all the low pressure lines on my car a month ago. I was filling that reservoir up every morning. Sucks Donkey Nuts!

Good luck with the fix and keep us posted.