No announcement yet.

Audi A1 by mgpdoc ••

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really like your build, the attention for detail is huge.

Just a quick question, does your username refer to Valentino Rossi (MotoGP the doctor)?

Comment

• I love all of your build threads - great eye for details that most people wouldn't even consider. Top work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay_ View Post
        I love all of your build threads - great eye for details that most people wouldn't even consider. Top work.
        Hello and thank you for the feedback. In the end of the day it's all in the details as they say

Originally posted by Fudge View Post
        just read though the whole build ! this is a very cool little a1, the interior is so nice and i love the chassis set up

NICE WORK
        Thank you mate

Originally posted by Fons View Post
        Really like your build, the attention for detail is huge.

Just a quick question, does your username refer to Valentino Rossi (MotoGP the doctor)?
        Thank you !

Actually I love Valentino Rossi.

However, it also happens that i am a medical doctor in life, a medical oncologist, so that is where my nickname came from

Cheers

Mike

Audi RS4PRA | VW Golf MKV GT-Y | Audi A1 SportBack

Comment

• So, on thing that had been on my mind for quite some time now, is the fact that the car had a difference in high rpms- well high for a diesel anyways, due to the fact that it overheated on the Intake Air Temps. It was more than obvious that the car needed a bigger IC. Not just in summer time, which in Greece, is the rule during the year, but also in colder conditions, in repeatitive pulls. You could feel the car got hot reducing boost, and thus power.
          We also checked that on the dyno.

So, you know what comes next.

Sneak pic

Wow, that is big

Lets see how it will look

Approved !!

As you can see, i went for a bolt-on solution for this car. At least that was the plan. Darkside seem to know their things on TDi engines so I went for product for my CAYC engine. However, when you always go for universan parts and make them fit your car, you know what happens when you choose a bolt-on part for the first time, dont you.

Some close-ups, prior to fitting it

Professional garage lift on the way

Removed the front end

This here, is supposed to be an IC

Lovely out of focus picture for reference

Crash bar removed

And I believe this is where it all started going awfully wrong.
          I noticed how the oem ic was held in place, and then saw the fittings of the Darkside IC. I easily understood there was no way it would fit straight away. None. Yes, it says in their product description that it takes some trimming, and some modification to fit, but it surely does not say that none of the fittings, not even one, fits in the stock points.

Contacted them via email, they replied instantly, however they insisted that it was my fault and that it should fit right away. I am no new to the modding scene, i know when a thing fits and when it doesnt.

Removed the OEM IC after a lot of swelling, just to see who was right and who was wrong

Side by side

Cutting for the piping to go through

Then I understood that it was either game over and car back to stock, OR, try to mount it and make it work, like always

Tom came to the rescue

Two hours later- boom - i was exhausted, but it was ready

Went to hospital like that the next day hehe

Refitted the bumper, that went in with zero modifications

Exactly the look i was hoping for, subtle, yet visible for those who know

I love it. And I also love how it performs. Difference is massive. Car used to pull strong up till 3500rpm and then, make a pause, so you would be better of changing gear to the next one. Now, you can pull till rev limiter and feeling the car pulling still strong. massive difference without a new ecu file as well.

As for Darkside, I am happy to say, that after some emails we exchanged, they accepted their fault, and sent me back half the cost as a partial refund. I support their accepting their fault, and I made a new order, which I will show you in the next update

A teaser pic for now

Cheers

Mike, @mgpdoc over at instagram for faster updates on all of my project cars

Comment

• Damn bud, coming along nicely. What difference has the larger intercooler made?

Comment

• Can'5 get over how clean and well kept this thing is. Love what you've done so far. Looking forward to more! Any plans to have give the recaro's some red stitching to match the rest of the interior?
              1999 SL2 Saturn Build rip
              1998 EK hatch Civic Build

Comment

• Originally posted by Nuts View Post
                Damn bud, coming along nicely. What difference has the larger intercooler made?
                Like I said in the post, massive. I expected it to have some difference, but not that noticeable.
                Expect some more power mods and then a new dyno

Originally posted by Randomofodication View Post
                Can'5 get over how clean and well kept this thing is. Love what you've done so far. Looking forward to more! Any plans to have give the recaro's some red stitching to match the rest of the interior?

thank yo uvery much for the good words
                yes there are some plans, although to be honest, i like it very very much the way it is now. But in my mind i know how to make them even better

Thanks

mike

Comment

• Car saw some time at the track, and also did really really well for what it is, especially since it was also my first time at that track. Gave some MX5's a pretty rough time, especially my friend Tom's that recently bought one, a late NB one

Had some serious issues with Oil Temps, had to push for maximum 2 rounds and then cool off for lik 3-4 laps. It was 40o Celcius, and car did not like that at all.

Almost 4 sec slower than me

I had really missed some track time, so will be revisiting soon enough, with this car, or the golf as well.

Also, I wanted to do something about the back side, where having removed the rear seat bench, there was red exposed metal, which i didnt like

Quick visit to my trim shop

Pics dont do it justice, came out great IRL

Also, got around to fitting my oem rear parking sensors on the S-Line bumper i installed

Removal

Said sensors

Installed

Looking great

When I find some time, i will also retrofit them to make them work as well hehe

Cheers, plenty of more to come

Mike

Comment

• Wow.
                    You put so much love and work into all these little details - amazing!

I think I would have used some velcro to install the rear floor..

Other then that, amazing car!

Comment

• Hello guys. Been some days that i was ready to update my build threads of all the cars, when I logged in to my threads, and saw all my pics gone missing. I thought i had gone overboard with bandwidth, but then I also remembered, that i have a premium account, so that doesnt happen. Long story short, I figured out what PhotoBucket had done.

So, currently, more than 8-9 years of build threads are useless. All that work and effort is lost.
                      And what is more, Photobucket gave us NO warning, nor did they send their thoughts on this change whatsoever

I accept paying for using one's services. I dont accept being bullied into doing it, in such a non-professional way.

I cant tell right now how I will continue blogging my build threads, but i wil definitely WONT be paying photobucket not 400, but not even a single cent.

Cheers

Mike

Comment

• So many many things have happened while Photobucker has been letting us down, and I havent posted updates ever since. But, I decided I must keep this going on, cant afford to lose all this after all these year.

So, first I did a proper engine bay wash

Some befores

Engine bay wash by mgpdoc, on Flickr

And some afters

Washing engine bay by mgpdoc, on Flickr

And here is the location that some things will change.

Dpf by mgpdoc, on Flickr

But all that in the next post.

Cheers for now.

Comment

• Some weeks ago I ordered and received the Dpf delete 2,5 inch Downpipe from Darkside Developments. Quality was great as you will see yourselves in the picture.

Darkside De-Dpf Downpipe by mgpdoc, on Flickr

Also bought some EGR blanks

Adapter for the lambda senson which is the only one that will be re-used

Next posts will be about installing it and much much more to bring you up to date

Cheers

Comment

• Photobucket has really screwed up literally every forum I go to. I'm glad to see you still at it. What type of products did you use to clean the bay? It turned out amazing! It looks better than new. Keep it up
                            http://cdn.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17224

Comment

• Originally posted by 06RawRsx View Post
                              Photobucket has really screwed up literally every forum I go to. I'm glad to see you still at it. What type of products did you use to clean the bay? It turned out amazing! It looks better than new. Keep it up
                              I really dont know what to say to be honest. All this work, all these years, and now i just cant see my build threads again.
                              It is really disappointing. One should have time to go against them to be honest. I am sure something can be done.

Thank you for your support mate.

As for the engine bay, I used some Meg's APC dilluted to begin with, agitated, and scrubbed with various brushes even toothbrushes.
                              Then, wiped everything off. Finished it with Meg's All Season Dressing which is an amazing product.

Cheers

Mike

Comment

• Your cleaning skills are amazing, glad to see you posting again with all the bs that photbucket has pulled. I even got an email about it and I haven't used it in years which I thought was funny. That down pipe looks great.
                                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Working...
                                X