No announcement yet.

Audi A1 by mgpdoc ••

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In other news we had a roadtrip, this time, three people, luggage, fully loaded, Clima on, car had zero issues with the extra power from the ECU tune

Destination was Thessaloniki, to meet friends, and visit the 1st Detailing Showroom held by Dazzle Showcar promotions

Arrival

White Tower

Exhibition

Yummy

Car did 1500km and here is the state it was afterwards

Time to clean this mess

After

Cheers

more to come

Mike

Audi RS4PRA | VW Golf MKV GT-Y | Audi A1 SportBack

Comment

• Greece is such a beautiful country. I was in Thessaloniki last year in June!

Car looks great!

Comment

• Dude, I try to follow you on instagram, but you need to accept my request.
        Thanks!
        Originally posted by getamongst-it

Lower your expectations, you'll be much happier.
        Oh, and your car too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nagah View Post
          Dude, I try to follow you on instagram, but you need to accept my request.
          Thanks!
          Hey mate, i think i have accepted it. Let me know mate. My pleasure.

Cheers

Mike

Comment

• Hello there. I have some updates to show. Those of you following me on instagram, @mgpdoc , have already seen this.

So, a while back I had bought a cupra lip, which I didnt go ahead to fit when I bought, because it was very much off, and even an attempt to go for it, required serious amounts of time.

There were already scratches at the lower part of the bumper, result of living the low life with this as a daily beater.

So decided to give it a go and see how it goes.

Here is my manual on how to fit it, LoL

And this is what I mean by off

Unlike the A4 that was very similar to the lip shape, this here was a different case

Up it went, and down I went

Slowly but gradually started mounting it

This is how it mostly looked from the underside

And this is the hard part

Decided to go with pie cuts, and heat, to make it shaped the way i want it

Almost done

I really like how it turned out to be honest

What I didnt like is the 4 or 5 hours it took for me to make it happen. Yes, that is correct. So tired. But well worth it. It gives more....volume to the front end. I will now install some more bolts for more secure fit, now that I am sure I like it

Cheers

Mike

Comment

• Some more updates then

Went to the stealership for the 30k km service.
              Yeah, I know, me in the dealership? Weird thing. However I try to go for the scheduled maintenance to keep up with my 5 year warranty.
              I buy all the original parts myself prior to the service, and then I get a good discount me being an old customer and all.

So, pics

They were also informed about my ecu upgrades and all, so they didnt risk my rolling coal to go alive, hahaha

New oil, oil filter, diesel fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter, and sump plug were changed. What is more, we also installed my custom sump plug with the integrated oil temp sensor from Defi, so as to install the Oil Temp meter at last, which I have had inactive for some months now waiting for the forthcoming oil change. More on that later.

In order to install the sensor of the meter, I had to run the wiring from under the dashboard to the oil sump. Wanted to do it neat and hidden like the boost gauge lines. So onto the pics of the process

This is where we will begin our installation from

Taking off wipers

Mark this with tape to now wonder where they were afterwards

Remove them with love, might take some time in older cars

Take your time removing this. It can easily brake when plastic goes old

Remove the two visible bolts that hold the wiper motor, just to give it some room to play

Here is the rubber grommet we will use to run through our wiring. Clean and oem style

While you try to install everything, friends take random photos, instead of helping you

Dont tidy up everything yet, do that after you see how much wiring you will be needing till the sump

Lift the car

Removed the tray and here is the installed plug with the sensor

Tucked everything

And then I sorted everything above

We have oil temp

Difference from petrol oil temp, is not the range of values, but the speed that oil gets up to temp, almost same time with water. Possible reason for that, is the turbo working all the time in diesel cars, I guess

Washed it properly while I was at it

And gave it some extra love

One more thing I'd like to show you is this

There seems to be a gap between the lip and the car's bumper in some places.

You pretty much cant do a lot about it, because you either have to trim the bumper or to shape the cupra lip differently.

However, I thought that I could use some kind of spacer there to make it look better.

These are some biller fuel rail spacers I had in my garage, never used

What if I put them there, and run the screws through them

Let's also paint them black on our custom mobile spray booth, shall we?

All done and installed

Thanks for looking, hope you liked it

Cheers

Mike

Comment

• Received a small, yet heavy and pricey box from USA. However not so costly for the quality i saw afterwards.

Some pics

Let's see them separately

A stud kit for the AUD1ESEL

Set of nuts, ball seat

Also bought another set of cone seat nuts, which I ended up using

Also some Lock nuts, one set for each car

Also bought these things here, can anyone guess what they're for ?

Lost no time, and started installing the kit

Before

Went with these, better fitment

HUGE rear brakes

used just a bit of Loctite in each stud

All done

Lots of thread to use, yet not more than needed

All done

Lock nuts installed as well, and looks OEM

I might go for some lug caps in black, in plastic, OEm ones, or aftermarket ones, Not sure if those can clip over the lock nut. We shall see.

Stay tuned, more to come

Cheers

Mike

Comment

• Some more updates then. This update is posted both on the Golf and AUD1ESEL blog, due to them possibly being used on both cars.

Some time ago I sourced and received these beauties.

Damn some people scratching everything

18Z in front, 6 pot

Rears

The calipers, supposedly came with brake pads. However, what you are about to see, will change your mind as to how much stupidity can exist out there.

Thought I'd give them a good clean while on vacation, so as to see their condition more properly

Notice anything weird?

Wait for it

In all their glory

i guess pads for these calipers were costing a bit more, so why not weldo other friction material on there

Anyhow

Real colour appeared

Secret ingredient when cleaning calipers - Cold Corona

This one, also has some damage

Front calipers were also cleaned

Again annoying pics

came out nice

All of them together

So my thoughts are :

-Use all 4 calipers on the Golf, as fronts and rears.
                  -Use the 6 pots on the Golf as fronts, and leave rears as they are, or install OEM 312 fronts on the rear, and install the 4 pots on the AUD1ESEL as fronts, and likewise, install the A1 fronts on the A1 rear axle.
                  -Use all 4 calipers on Golf, and buy other 6pots for the A1 as fronts - LoL

Either way, golf will be having the 6pots as fronts, so starting with that, I need to source some stuff.

So

1. Mercedes-Benz GL450 discs, 350x32mm discs
                  2. Brake Pads
                  3. 14 to 16 special bolts
                  4. 65 to 67mm rings
                  5. Modify brake lines

So far

1. I have found Zimmerman drilled ones to be the most likely to buy

2. Does anyone have any part numbers handy ? I will search though when time comes. Something for everyday use, not like a Ferodo DS2500/3000 I had in the past. Something quiet and effective.

3. Sourced those bolts from JHM as a kit and here they are

4. Sourced the rings needed as well, and here they are

Stay tuned, more to come.
                  Feel free to send me your suggestions on sourcing parts for this new project, as I am new to brake world, other than my bolt-on 8-pot kit on the blue RS4PRA project.

For faster updates, follow me on instagram, @mgpdoc

Cheers

Mike

Comment

• So when it comes to tyre fitment, i am one of those type of guys that like this style, for many reasons.

However, in my A1, I had to go for stretch fitment to fit the wheels I bought for it. And although I didnt have any problems so far, 31000 kms on the clock, I still wanted to set the car up exactly like I wanted it to, and that is with some meat on the tyres.

So, in numbers, go from 215.35.18 to 225.40.18, which not only will allow for better cornering, easier ride, harder to scratch wheels, but will also allow for a lower cost on new tyres, and it is also a size i have been using for some time on other cars, and allows for play between cars.

Of course, being bigger in diameter, car will be slower with the same hp numbers, and of course, less fuel efficient.

So let's see what i did

Attempt #1

Changed tyres in the height i was running before

Went with Pirelli's I had from my Golf

Sadly car wouldnt do even a spin around the shop, so changed just the rear ones and left the stretched ones in front till i come up with a solution

RWD Drag Setup for the win #not

LoL

Attempt #2

Thought I'd raise the suspension 10mm in the front

It seemed much more doable this time

Had to test the car on the road with two people inside to see if and how badly it would rub. It looked really good

Attempt #3

Went back to the shop for some final adjustments and with the roller fender ready to chime in if need be

The wheels were rubbing mostly on the passenger side

Here I could see where the problem was

And took drastic measures this time

Cut off the little metallic tabs that cause the problem, and afterwards painted them with colour to avoid corrosion or rust

Same at the back

Car was ready

And went up for an alignment

All done

Really happy with its new looks and mostly its new driving characteristics.

Everyone said it couldnt be done, 225.40.18s on a 9,5x18 ET23 (with the spacers added), but hey, I say, it is doable, on a daily basis, and what is more, I load this car for travelling.

Cheers

Mike

Comment

• Looks great man!

I had the 18Zs on my MKV GTI also.

I ran 6 Pot Fronts, and 4 Pot Rears. I ran the xola3que Rear Brackets, coupled with 2-Piece FR/RR Coleman Rotors with the custom xola3que hats.

He doesnt' sell them anymore though. Best of luck to you!

Comment

• Originally posted by becausephilchow View Post
                        Looks great man!

I had the 18Zs on my MKV GTI also.

I ran 6 Pot Fronts, and 4 Pot Rears. I ran the xola3que Rear Brackets, coupled with 2-Piece FR/RR Coleman Rotors with the custom xola3que hats.

He doesnt' sell them anymore though. Best of luck to you!
                        Hello there.
                        Do you have any pics for reference ?
                        I know the rear is gonna be tricky, but not sure if i am gonna put them on the golf front and rear yet. As for the fronts I am almost ready, discs and pads aside.
                        Any recommendations for those ?

Cheers

Mike

Ps: googling for this guy, does not show the best feedback , so not so sad he disappeared

Comment

• Car went up on the dyno, not so much to go for numbers, we pretty much knew were we were, but mostly to fine tune the black smoke a bit

Smoke was like this before

I hope I can find an after video

Car was dynoed with the OEM file and was found out to almost make 115hp, despite it being sold as 105, and then made almost 146 with just the ECU tune. Torque went from 27 to 36kg. Very very happy with the results, on a VERY hot day, with 40oC in Athens.

This car surely makes more than 150hp on the road. I also think it deserves a better IC at some point...hmmmm....

Some more pictures from that day

And the numbers with the ECU tune from E-Tuners. They will also make a presentation of the project on their site

Cheers more to come

Mike

Comment

• Very nice work im interested to see what else is done in the future...

Loving the roof rack also!

Comment

• A lot of things have been going on, but havent had the chance to update this thread, so let's do something about that

Parking sensors were in a bad state

Removed them and drove around like this- LOL

Made some custom OEM colour spray

And some clear coat

Painted them and left them to cure

Installed

Also polished the tips just a bit

They came out great

Now, as for that missing lower trim, it was removed some days ago

To get it painted gloss black to match the rest of the car

Came back like this

Came out great

I also installed something nice and OEM on the 12v lighter plug

Sorry for the crappy pic

Then went for some roadtrip

But more on that adventure, later

Cheers, more to come

Mike

Comment

• Enjoyed all 7 pages of this, great looking wee car, tastefully done bro
                                My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
                                http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Comment

Working...
                                X