Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coilover seized, stuck, need help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coilover seized, stuck, need help please!

Hey guys!

I need some help please! I have a Toyota Yaris which is dropped on some MeisterR dual perch coilovers ----> http://www.meisterr.com
    and I went to lower the fronts about another inch. The drivers side was fine even though the bottom collar was a bit hard and difficult to move, after a while it went fine, also soaked them in wd40 and grease.

Now the passengers side is where Ive got a big issue. The bottom collar was pretty stuck, I got a screwdriver and a hammer and hit it a few times after soaking it with wd40 and after a while it moved and I was able to loosen it. Of course after cleaning the threads, then next thing was to move the shock body into the shock case via the spring perches to lower the car as with any dual perch coilover. I was able to move it about 2 turns, then the thing got completely stuck, the threads going into the shock body itself, now Im unable to turn them either way and dont know what ot do. Im afraid that the threads which have gone into the shock case are damaged and I wont be able to turn them out? Im also afraid to do basically anything before asking you guys, because either way I turn or try forcefully to turn via the perches, might destroy the threads and then Im done even though their 100% steel.

Does anybody have some suggestions for me please? Id really appreciate it!
    Thanks!

try going back the other way (the way it came from) and take a metal file to the threads to make sure that they have nothing that would cause this so they can move smoothly again- be careful. if that's too aggressive for you, whip out a brillo pad and some water or lube and see if you can get the buildup from the elements off it. i'd also put some heat on the collar (if you can) so you can try to get a little wiggle room from it expanding. other than that, i don't really know what to tell you as mine don't see crappy days much.
    Last edited by chev_chelios; 05-16-2010, 08:58 AM.

vagina, it's what's for dinner.

Comment

Thanks dude for the help! The only thing is that its completely stuck, cannot move the shock into the shock case at all either way to lower the car more. I dont have access to a torch or anything to put heat on the collars. Should I just go ahead and start smacking it real hard with a hammer and screwdriver? Im just worried about torally destroying it with so much force...

Comment

pull it off the car

put a rag around it, then put the SHOCK BODY in the vice leaving hte bottom bracket hanging out.
        not sure how your lower mount bolts on, but find a wayto put a screwdriver through the hole, or adjustable spanning the bracket or something, and put a pipe on the end of it and pull.
        leverage is your friend
        Disclaimer:
        I am rude, opinionated, and sometimes come off as a dick. I am just speaking my mind. If it offends you, PM me. Don't go whine to someone else. I am civil, talk to me, just dont be stupid.

and USE THE SEARCH BUTTON

Comment

Thanks! Yeah, the only thing which came to mind is really pulling it off the car or something. But if I give it a lot of force and strength, wont that damage the threads where the problem is, perhaps if some dirt or tiny rocks are stuck in that area and I force my way through?

Comment

you dont really have a choice
            just gotta wrench it off.
            when you thread it back on it will work
            dirt and grit just have it seized
            Disclaimer:
            I am rude, opinionated, and sometimes come off as a dick. I am just speaking my mind. If it offends you, PM me. Don't go whine to someone else. I am civil, talk to me, just dont be stupid.

Comment

WD40 sucks at everything btw.

PB Blaster or other penetrating lube, let it soak, use lots of it. Use a tooth brush to clean the threads meticulously with penetrating lube so that once it breaks free, the rest is clean for it to spin off easily.

As far as for actually loosening the bottom bracket, Fresh's advice is the best. Once you have it broken free- same as anything else in life: don't rush, use lots of lube.

Comment

i like to dive in balls deep, so i cant heed the advice you give
                Disclaimer:

Comment

i have Tein basic coilovers and my passenger front happened. the guys at this custom hydraulic/airbag shop (who do custom work for years) said they tried everything to free the ring. i pulled my wheel off, sprayed Liquid Wrench, then put the wrench on it and smacked it hard with a metal pole. it eventually came loose.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys, will try it soon!

Comment

Working...
                    X