Raising engine? E36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising engine? E36

Ladies and gentlemen, does anyone know the maximum lift I can do on my e36 (m52 fitted to 318is) without causing issues with the prop angle etc? Has anyone done it? I've had people say from 20mm -25mm..

I've made some risers up @25mm that I can shorten if needs be, just trying to find some info before I fit them!

I'm trying to avoid this again..

My E36 build thread

Anyone?

My E36 build thread

Comment

How are your motor mounts? The pan should be higher than the subframe and out of the way with good condition mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Byron View Post
        How are your motor mounts? The pan should be higher than the subframe and out of the way with good condition mounts.

They look fine. The sump is just visable lookin under from the front of the car, probs a few mm's. Enough to be a pain though. I don't want to change it again!!

My E36 build thread

Comment

They're sagged then, and softer due to age. Get new ones and throw a washer or 2 on top for peace of mind and you should never have a problem again

Comment

Originally posted by Byron View Post
            They're sagged then, and softer due to age. Get new ones and throw a washer or 2 on top for peace of mind and you should never have a problem again

Righto. I still want to raise it as much as I can though, get it as high as possible. Uk roads are shit..

My E36 build thread

Comment

SS Autoworks make engine raiser kits. They're UK based, might be worth looking into

Comment

Originally posted by Minuki View Post
                SS Autoworks make engine raiser kits. They're UK based, might be worth looking into

I've seen pics of them. I've made the same sort of thing..

I can't find out how much it can be raised without compromising the driveline (prop/diff etc) and don't want it to vibrate like a dildo!
                I've made mine at 25mm but don't know if it's too much, some say 20, some say 25mm. I might just chop 5mm off each and go from there.

My E36 build thread

Comment

im good friends with the guys at ss, can vouch for their stuff.

for my friends 36 we ditched the stock mounts and used hockey pucks. like 4 iirc. engine was pretty much as high as it could go before it started fouling on stuff. obviously the pucks were alot harding and it was like running poly mounts so vibration at idle was increased, but it allowed him to run crazy low static. heres a video

Comment

Just get an x-brace. Acts like a skidplate

Comment

Originally posted by groundpilots View Post
                      Just get an x-brace. Acts like a skidplate
                      Acts like a skidplate until it eventually pushes into the sump and obliterates it. I ran one for 3 days and it sucked.

Comment

Originally posted by Minuki View Post
                        Acts like a skidplate until it eventually pushes into the sump and obliterates it. I ran one for 3 days and it sucked.
                        ^^^

Comment

I made some in the end. 25mm on original mounts. As high as it can go now. Very slight vibration at idle but none on the move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My E36 build thread

Comment

I currently run a x brace on my 36 and it catches crowns in the road that ordinarily it wouldn't have caught due to that brace now being the lowest point on the car (about 5cm ground clearance), it makes a disgusting noise when it hits tarmac too!

Be interesting to see what you come up with on this as i'm contemplating removing my x brace..

Comment

bump for updates?

Anyone else with a raised e36 engine?

I'm considering the condor engine risers (20mm)

Comment

Working...
                              X