Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project 911 Something, Building The Dream.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soooo I guess I wasn't kidding about this being a long term build but getting my career off the ground and a few other distractions sorted, I actually made some progress this year! Maybe 2021 I can get this thing painted and start on the motor build.

Started fitting up the suspension, brakes and wheels and figuring out what bodywork and cutting will be required to make it fit. 993TT front brakes and an older Brembo GTP rear kit that uses Lotus Esprit calipers on 993TT rear rotors with a bolt on extension for the parking brake. Just a bit bigger then the stock stuff.

The front struts are raised 30mm with 1.5 degrees decambered into them... which is great but a 8.5" rim with a 245 Hoosier barely will fit in a sorta stock front fender with stock struts. To account for the dacamber and have the tires clear the springs, a 10mm spacer is required...... so the fenders need to be stretched a bit.

Comment

Great update man, last pic is boss, top work
      My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
      http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Comment

The fiberglass doors while light, don't fit that well with the pop out windows and present some issues towards putting side windows in. I'm likely to street drive the car and take it to Autocross more than race it these days and the ability to close it up a bit for the odd weekend outing street parking is appealing so I decided to go ahead and fit the steel doors. We will see how porky this thing ends up as I have been choosing strength and reliability over weight because......... I have a history of being a bit abusive to my cars. Because of how bumped out the door bars on the driver side are, I had to use an early pre-impact beam door. These cars being hand built, everything fits a little different.

The approved method of making them fit is to jack up the car by the door and bend it into the right shape. It is fitting better now but there will be a bit more tweaking before it comes apart for paint.

First time seeing the car mostly in one color in YEARS!!!

Scope creep has been a real struggle so out with the built 915 gearbox and in with a g50! The g50 is around 45lb heavier then a magnesium case 915 and 2in longer but will hold 500+ horsepower, you can always find 1st gear from a stop, and the synchros last quite a bit longer. If you race with a 915 box, you are probably replacing 3rd gear syncro every 10 weekends or so. I already broke the original main shaft in the 915 (pre SC 915 have a weak 2nd gear retention boss) and wore out 2nd and 3rd gear synchros auto crossing the car so it seemed like the thing todo "while I'm in there". It also will allow me to use any of the 996/997 GT3 or Turbo clutch and flywheel options as well as their crank trigger arrangement which could prove handy.

But it does mean that I really do have to get after swapping the torque tube to make it fit and be a bolt in affair. You can cut up the stock torque tube to make it fit if running coil overs but then the trans mount become a custom fab job and well....... I am going down the factory style swap route so enter the beast that is the '87-'89 g50 torque tube. The center section is cast steel with tubes slid in and welded almost like a live axle. Should be much stronger then the fabricated sheet metal early car style but it is a bit heavy. I'll have to weigh it agains the original once they are side by side.

To get everything fit up and aligned properly I didn't want to solely rely on measurements so out comes the rear suspension to make a fixture off the original pickup points.

275/35/18 Hoosiers look pretty beefy!!! Doing 2 step launches on these is what sold me on going g50 now while the fresh 915 had some value.

With that out of the way, time to get to fixturing.

A little CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) is always helpful.

My Welding skills sure haven't improved much though. It will work for the fixture but there will be a bit more practice required before I weld anything important or permanent. Depending on how brave I am feeling, I may need to use the phone a friend option once I have finished all the fit up of the new tube.

Last edited by EvanFullerton; 12-30-2020, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Wow glad to see you're still working on this! Definitely going to be keeping an eye on it.
          Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Comment

This is just nuts. I read "cheap fun car after growing tired of having a trailer only race car" in the first post and thought, "yeah, we all say that." Even being cynical, I never would have imagined how far your plan diverged from your stated intent. Looks like it will be fun, but holy smokes...

Comment

Its funny how I skipped this thread a few times because it looked like an obvious spam bump. But boy am I glad I looked anyway. Very curious how this project will progress
              Originally posted by aLaFleur

I've decided the best way to deal with rust is to just embrace it.

Comment

Seriously impressive build.

Comment

Yeah! Progress!
                  Old project: Suzuki Swift mk1 GTi carbs '86
                  New Project: Porsche 944 S '87
                  Follow me: Whiteknuckleride
                  My band on Spotify: Edison Road

Comment

In for more!
                    IG: @sebastienaudeon
                    1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
                    *pats Sebs head*
                    there there.
                    keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

Putting a g50 transmission in the factory way is rather involved. There is no question this build has gotten out of hand but we don't do these things because we are smart and rational about cars.

Marked my cut, what could go wrong!

And out with the old!

All this work for an extra 2 inches. The g50 torque tube is about 7lb heavier with its cast center section but should be much stronger. The trailing arm mounting ears aren't staying though but more on that later.

Some inner sleeves for the joint.

And LOTS of cutting, grinding, measuring, weld thru primmer painting, measuring again, and the g50 torque tube is in and even better the wheel still fits with the same alignment!

Full bump looking SWEET!
                      Last edited by EvanFullerton; 01-30-2021, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Things were going too well getting the new torque tube welded in so I though I would give myself another chance to screw it up by welding in adjustable roll center correction.

Enter Fixture #2

36BE0982-DCFF-42CA-B2F3-368A4B669F2A

Mocking it up

3562A987-F997-4142-911D-FC4BE2DDDF88

No going back now!

816B4ECB-6500-4D5D-ADB1-E53632E1AADB

1 Down, 1 to Go!

BC3265EB-B52A-4B5D-A133-09CBDAB2FC73

Number 2 Done!

9A17BE8C-CBFD-4791-B25E-0342625FF4CF

Then more reinforcement..... because everything else is over kill so why stop now! Still clears at full drop at the lowest setting should I ever put Sefari suspension on this car.

DFCED834-9611-4B7D-ABCC-647EB96E27BC

BC60524D-A42B-4381-9041-403D04ABF604

21AB9E98-AB83-46CE-BCD3-4205B4D4E0B0

Comment

Well done on the progress. Always here for more. Keep it coming.

Audi RS4PRA | VW Golf MKV GT-Y | Audi A1 SportBack

Comment

I needed a radius for rebuilding the back seat area and since we are on a roll with overkill, I just kept going. Added a partial outer sleeve to my torque tube splice...... because I has some tubing that fit. It will make a good jack stand locator.

12819CE1-A8AE-42A0-973B-50C57AFE47E9

Added some landing pads for some additional bracing.

50FFAC54-3CDC-4FDB-B3DB-B8CA6B169849

Deleted the heat tubes to get a tube past there tying the shock tower in to the inner tailing arm pickup point.

A82142B0-4AE7-4155-AB32-E38114CEB774

D7263AB2-3691-4198-8850-9FD88A90ABC5

Lots of fun coping tubes with an angle grinder.

71CEF2F5-DA41-48BD-8F2F-7F03ED32C165

And maximum triangle creation achieved. My welding isn't great but I'm confident at this point nothing is going to fall off. Now if the wheels end up in the right spot in the wheel well, that would be amazing!

1486362F-5026-4D5B-8180-073182488D11

Comment

Working...
                            X