Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie P.O.S. R31 Skyline

Hey guys,
    Like pretty much every new build thread i have being a long time lurker and have just recently being making posts and thought maybe I ought to post my build thread. An I just say I absolutely love a large percentage of the builds and attitudes here. It’s a great space.

Now it will be slow but I’m going to make a real effort to keep motivation with it but I am on a very low income live out of home with my girlfriend who is currently running her own business, which is not making much profit at the moment and we have 4 pets. So money is spread pretty thin before any gets to the skyline.
    That being said I try not to cut corners or be dodgy in general.
    Also I’m not the most fluent at story telling but I’ll try keep it not as monotone as my vice.
    So early this year I bought the 31, I was pretty excited because at the time they were getting more and more expensive and hard to find in manual. Also my work mate (Dave) has built 2, 31 Track cars and still has them and loves them as well as knowing them inside out, which is super handy.
    Anyway the car was pretty cool looking from the ad, so I went and looked at it and when I got there is was night time and absolutely pissing down. I knew it was rough and that’s what I was looking for as a project, I didn’t want anything complete or nearly completed. I need to build it myself.
    I knew it had a little bit of rust and that was fine because they all do in that particular spot.
    But overall it was a cool car, S13 front end suspension and brakes, S13 coil overs, 15X10 -0 Steelies, straight 6, RWD with a mini spool. Pretty much everything I wanted at the time.
    Here are a few Photos from the ad.

So I got it home and did a few laps of the neighbourhood, alignment or something was in the shitta, and she ran a little rough, but apart from that is was a hoot. The old 3.0L straight 6 with a 4:11 locked diff was a bit comical. Well for me it was as this is my first RWD car that wasn’t a Ute.
    Parked her here and hasn’t moved since.

So I did a service, spark plugs, oils, fuel filter, air filter, amf clean adjusted the throttle cable and she ran sweet!
    This was the “fuel” that was in the old fuel filter (might have to flush the tank out when she is moving again?)

So I started taking it apart, I knew I wanted to do timing belt and seals, wrap the exhaust, do some bushes in the front end and fix up the rust I knew would be hiding under the front guards..
    So I started pulling stuff off..

So found this 02 sensor was about 2 threads deep and held in place with a hose clamp ( at this point I was starting to realise the calliper of person who had owned this car before me  )
    I thought it was the wrong 02 sensor because it had being obviously chopped in buy the wanker who I bought it off. So I bought a new one and it didn’t thread in either, so I put that at the back of my mind and carried on (still haven’t fixed it either.) anyway, I cut off the rust with a flap disk and an orbital sander and then painted with a high temp black paint before wrapping in black exhaust wrap for added awesomeness.

Anyway I had a look at the front end and a few things concerned me, 1, the tie rod ends were different between the two sides, 2, was that the wheel studs were welded to the hubs because they must have being slipping, 3, all the ball joints were F*%ked, 4 Bearings were Rooted, there is probably more.
    So I bought new (second hand) hubs to replace the welded ones, admittedly they probably would have worked but I didn’t like it,

I also had to buy a new calliper because a few bolts sheared off in disassembly from being well over tightened.

Got extended studs and a solid alloy steering bush.

Did the bearings on the new hubs.

Ordered HEL braided brake lines and clutch line and new ball joints and the correct tie rods & ends, water pump timing belt and seals,.

And installed them with my mate.

I don’t think I took photos of the wall joints and tie rods but I’m sure you get the idea 

In the mean time I bought some more steelies because the 15x10’s stuck out and inch or two everywhere making it looks like a skateboard which I didn’t particularly mind, but the police in QLD are brutal and I don’t need extra attention to this car haha.
    So I got some 16x8 -0 which were perfect. Didn’t particularly like the wheels and they are heavy as Frigg but would have sat perfect.

Then I swapped the 15x10 steelies for a set of work equip 05’s
    these,

For

Now the 05’s are in bad shape, a buckle in one. Rash, pitting, corrosion, flaky powder coat. The works (Ha), but I love em.
    They are 16X7, I can’t remember the offset at the moment. But I plan on rebuilding them completely. This is turning out a lot harder than I thought.

Two of them I will be just rebuilding, the other two will be getting new, wider lips. As they are the skinnier pair and one lip is buckled ill make those two the rears or something when I have enough money to do that for the moment I am just breaking down 2 of them in prep for the rebuild and refinish.

I have also bought a pair of Advan sa3’s for a grand total of $60, I absolutely love them. I’ll be using them until the 05’s are complete and then ill rebuild these.

So then I sold the 16X8 -0 steelies for about $100 more than I bought them for and that left me steelie free! Wo!
    Not that I don’t love the look of them because I do but they are so damn heavy! That left me with nothing on the back so I bought some crappy crappy crappy shitty awful wheels for the back that are as good as a few laps of the block when the car is all back together then they will be getting sold and buy ANYTHING else.
    Behold the horrid poo.

If you don’t think they look “too” bad in the photo you are wrong and need to see them in person and on the car.
    Let’s get to the fun part, RUST.
    I’m not going to talk you through this, It’s still a little hard to talk about, I’ll just show photos.

Then I bought this, I have a big ass welder but its at my parents block of land about 2 hours from me and it’s a 3 Phase machine so I couldn’t use it at home and I wasn’t moving the car again haha

Its just a little thing and its running flux core… stupidest thing for thin auto body work but I made it work.
    Once I got welding I completely forgot to take photos as I was in a rush against weather.

Then I bought a bunch of sikaflex and seald everything

I’ve still got a bit on the driver’s side to do then its put that back together.

Neighbour got beaten up pretty bad, about 3 cop cars and another ambo came about 2 seconds after this photo. Had no idea anything was going on, I guess that’s the problem with headphones with rattle guns and welding and swearing under my breath, cant hear anything around you .

I was working away up the coast for a week and I had to walk past this thing almost every day, I think it was the hotel managers… P.I.M.P.

I was considering getting these for the rears but I am 98% sure they needed a rebuild before you could safely use them ha

That’s pretty much where im up to, I need to get my arese into gear and finish it upquick smart because I will be moving in about 4 months so I want to be able to drive this heap there without the use of a trailer!
    Last edited by MattHatCat; 06-25-2014, 06:03 PM.
    BULLSHIT BUILD-THREAD

I really like this. Keep up the good work man

rust is the worst.
    sigpic

Owner of a Riced out Porsche

Comment

Originally posted by BMW BRAH View Post
      I really like this. Keep up the good work man

rust is the worst.
      Thanks mate,
      its pretty terrible,
      i was very torn up between scrapping the car or repairing it.
      probably not the best repair ever..
      but I did the best i could with the working conditions but it should last meany more years.
      BULLSHIT BUILD-THREAD

Comment

dat rust

nice project tho
        Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Damn dat rust doe, but other than that good work! Steelies look ace!

Comment

Aussie P.O.S. R31 Skyline

Thanks guys

Yeah I really liked the 15's but they were too wide the previous owner had tech screwed some rubber 'flares' on all the wheel arches to make it legal ... Looked shit and left a bunch of rusty holes for me to fill some time haha

The 05's should sit mint when done
            As I'll have to run 4 to 5 stud adapters which will be an inch wide
            The wheels on it at the moment are just temp for now
            BULLSHIT BUILD-THREAD

Comment

Very cool man, moving in a very good direction.

Comment

Does anyone else think the jack stands might just be as safe as a scissor jack? WOW!
                Love old Skylines! Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by CBURKE View Post
                  Does anyone else think the jack stands might just be as safe as a scissor jack? WOW!

Love old Skylines! Keep up the good work!

Yeah they are pretty dodgy man.
                  I never planned on using them for more than a week or two

Pretty flimsy china crap
                  BULLSHIT BUILD-THREAD

Comment

I love this.

Comment

Yes, winning. Nissan Skyline goodness. Subed.

Comment

This is cool, will be watching.

Good job on the rust repair and such so far, doing things correctly!

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

Nice I love r31. lack of wheels lol

Am I the only one whos not surprised about the rust? Thats a common issue isnt it?
                          Try considering the rust as a natural weight loosing. Then theres no problem to solve. LOL

Comment

good work! Steelies look ace!

Comment

Thanks guys
                              Yeah the rust is a pretty common issue with the aus del r31s not so much on the imports but this one had it pretty bad
                              There is still a bit more rust to remove but I'm getting there

Btw all the steelies are sold
                              I don't know if I made that clear haha
                              All I have now is the set of equip 05's which are stripped apart awaiting re-furb , the pair of advan's and a set of shitty 15's for spirited driving and cheapness haha
                              Thanks for the love guys
                              It will be a slow journey
                              BULLSHIT BUILD-THREAD

Comment

Working...
                              X