Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aussie P.O.S. R31 Skyline

Thumbs down Aussie P.O.S. R31 Skyline

Hey guys,
    Like pretty much every new build thread i have being a long time lurker and have just recently being making posts and thought maybe I ought to post my build thread. An I just say I absolutely love a large percentage of the builds and attitudes here. Itís a great space.

Now it will be slow but Iím going to make a real effort to keep motivation with it but I am on a very low income live out of home with my girlfriend who is currently running her own business, which is not making much profit at the moment and we have 4 pets. So money is spread pretty thin before any gets to the skyline.
    That being said I try not to cut corners or be dodgy in general.
    Also Iím not the most fluent at story telling but Iíll try keep it not as monotone as my vice.
    So early this year I bought the 31, I was pretty excited because at the time they were getting more and more expensive and hard to find in manual. Also my work mate (Dave) has built 2, 31 Track cars and still has them and loves them as well as knowing them inside out, which is super handy.
    Anyway the car was pretty cool looking from the ad, so I went and looked at it and when I got there is was night time and absolutely pissing down. I knew it was rough and thatís what I was looking for as a project, I didnít want anything complete or nearly completed. I need to build it myself.
    I knew it had a little bit of rust and that was fine because they all do in that particular spot.
    But overall it was a cool car, S13 front end suspension and brakes, S13 coil overs, 15X10 -0 Steelies, straight 6, RWD with a mini spool. Pretty much everything I wanted at the time.
    Here are a few Photos from the ad.

So I got it home and did a few laps of the neighbourhood, alignment or something was in the shitta, and she ran a little rough, but apart from that is was a hoot. The old 3.0L straight 6 with a 4:11 locked diff was a bit comical. Well for me it was as this is my first RWD car that wasnít a Ute.
    Parked her here and hasnít moved since.

So I did a service, spark plugs, oils, fuel filter, air filter, amf clean adjusted the throttle cable and she ran sweet!
    This was the ďfuelĒ that was in the old fuel filter (might have to flush the tank out when she is moving again?)

So I started taking it apart, I knew I wanted to do timing belt and seals, wrap the exhaust, do some bushes in the front end and fix up the rust I knew would be hiding under the front guards..
    So I started pulling stuff off..

So found this 02 sensor was about 2 threads deep and held in place with a hose clamp ( at this point I was starting to realise the calliper of person who had owned this car before me  )
    I thought it was the wrong 02 sensor because it had being obviously chopped in buy the wanker who I bought it off. So I bought a new one and it didnít thread in either, so I put that at the back of my mind and carried on (still havenít fixed it either.) anyway, I cut off the rust with a flap disk and an orbital sander and then painted with a high temp black paint before wrapping in black exhaust wrap for added awesomeness.

Anyway I had a look at the front end and a few things concerned me, 1, the tie rod ends were different between the two sides, 2, was that the wheel studs were welded to the hubs because they must have being slipping, 3, all the ball joints were F*%ked, 4 Bearings were Rooted, there is probably more.
    So I bought new (second hand) hubs to replace the welded ones, admittedly they probably would have worked but I didnít like it,

I also had to buy a new calliper because a few bolts sheared off in disassembly from being well over tightened.

Got extended studs and a solid alloy steering bush.

Did the bearings on the new hubs.

Ordered HEL braided brake lines and clutch line and new ball joints and the correct tie rods & ends, water pump timing belt and seals,.

And installed them with my mate.

I donít think I took photos of the wall joints and tie rods but Iím sure you get the idea 

In the mean time I bought some more steelies because the 15x10ís stuck out and inch or two everywhere making it looks like a skateboard which I didnít particularly mind, but the police in QLD are brutal and I donít need extra attention to this car haha.
    So I got some 16x8 -0 which were perfect. Didnít particularly like the wheels and they are heavy as Frigg but would have sat perfect.

Then I swapped the 15x10 steelies for a set of work equip 05ís
    these,

For

Now the 05ís are in bad shape, a buckle in one. Rash, pitting, corrosion, flaky powder coat. The works (Ha), but I love em.
    They are 16X7, I canít remember the offset at the moment. But I plan on rebuilding them completely. This is turning out a lot harder than I thought.

Two of them I will be just rebuilding, the other two will be getting new, wider lips. As they are the skinnier pair and one lip is buckled ill make those two the rears or something when I have enough money to do that for the moment I am just breaking down 2 of them in prep for the rebuild and refinish.

I have also bought a pair of Advan sa3ís for a grand total of $60, I absolutely love them. Iíll be using them until the 05ís are complete and then ill rebuild these.

So then I sold the 16X8 -0 steelies for about $100 more than I bought them for and that left me steelie free! Wo!
    Not that I donít love the look of them because I do but they are so damn heavy! That left me with nothing on the back so I bought some crappy crappy crappy shitty awful wheels for the back that are as good as a few laps of the block when the car is all back together then they will be getting sold and buy ANYTHING else.
    Behold the horrid poo.

If you donít think they look ďtooĒ bad in the photo you are wrong and need to see them in person and on the car.
    Letís get to the fun part, RUST.
    Iím not going to talk you through this, Itís still a little hard to talk about, Iíll just show photos.

Then I bought this, I have a big ass welder but its at my parents block of land about 2 hours from me and itís a 3 Phase machine so I couldnít use it at home and I wasnít moving the car again haha

Its just a little thing and its running flux coreÖ stupidest thing for thin auto body work but I made it work.
    Once I got welding I completely forgot to take photos as I was in a rush against weather.

Then I bought a bunch of sikaflex and seald everything

Iíve still got a bit on the driverís side to do then its put that back together.

Neighbour got beaten up pretty bad, about 3 cop cars and another ambo came about 2 seconds after this photo. Had no idea anything was going on, I guess thatís the problem with headphones with rattle guns and welding and swearing under my breath, cant hear anything around you .

I was working away up the coast for a week and I had to walk past this thing almost every day, I think it was the hotel managersÖ P.I.M.P.

I was considering getting these for the rears but I am 98% sure they needed a rebuild before you could safely use them ha

Thatís pretty much where im up to, I need to get my arese into gear and finish it upquick smart because I will be moving in about 4 months so I want to be able to drive this heap there without the use of a trailer!
    Last edited by MattHatCat; 06-25-2014 at 06:03 PM.

I really like this. Keep up the good work man

rust is the worst.

Owner of a Riced out Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by BMW BRAH View Post
    I really like this. Keep up the good work man

rust is the worst.
    Thanks mate,
    its pretty terrible,
    i was very torn up between scrapping the car or repairing it.
    probably not the best repair ever..
    but I did the best i could with the working conditions but it should last meany more years.

Damn dat rust doe, but other than that good work! Steelies look ace!

Default Aussie P.O.S. R31 Skyline

Thanks guys

Yeah I really liked the 15's but they were too wide the previous owner had tech screwed some rubber 'flares' on all the wheel arches to make it legal ... Looked shit and left a bunch of rusty holes for me to fill some time haha

The 05's should sit mint when done
    As I'll have to run 4 to 5 stud adapters which will be an inch wide
    The wheels on it at the moment are just temp for now

Very cool man, moving in a very good direction.

Does anyone else think the jack stands might just be as safe as a scissor jack? WOW!
    Love old Skylines! Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by CBURKE View Post
    Does anyone else think the jack stands might just be as safe as a scissor jack? WOW!

Love old Skylines! Keep up the good work!

Yeah they are pretty dodgy man.
    I never planned on using them for more than a week or two

Pretty flimsy china crap

I love this.

Yes, winning. Nissan Skyline goodness. Subed.

This is cool, will be watching.

Good job on the rust repair and such so far, doing things correctly!

Nice I love r31. lack of wheels lol

Am I the only one whos not surprised about the rust? Thats a common issue isnt it?
    Try considering the rust as a natural weight loosing. Then theres no problem to solve. LOL

good work! Steelies look ace!

Thanks guys
    Yeah the rust is a pretty common issue with the aus del r31s not so much on the imports but this one had it pretty bad
    There is still a bit more rust to remove but I'm getting there

Btw all the steelies are sold
    I don't know if I made that clear haha
    All I have now is the set of equip 05's which are stripped apart awaiting re-furb , the pair of advan's and a set of shitty 15's for spirited driving and cheapness haha
    Thanks for the love guys
    It will be a slow journey

loving your choice in wheels, i to have equip 05s and advans,

Quote Originally Posted by lazyrs View Post
    loving your choice in wheels, i to have equip 05s and advans,

Good choice man
    I loved the 05's when I first got them and now I think I love the advan's more!
    Idk I can't wait to haven't 05's on though.

need help choosing a wheel clour for the 05's,
    the lips will stay polished, but im thinking maybe a bronze colour. a bit like this...

probably not that dark..
    i dont like dark centers..

show me what you got!

GIVE ME THOSE LIPS PLZZZZZ FUARK!!!

My centres are crinkle coated. They look perdy. But need redoing

I've considered wrinkle! but i think I'd rather powder coat for longevity ?

Post a pic of your wrinkle rim and try convince me !

Awesome that you're taking on this project, man! Subscribed! Love how it's going. Which direction are you taking this in? Drift, or a clean street car?

Quote Originally Posted by TRaNz View Post
    yeee, coz RainbowDash is the bestest. its fun combing its hair and tail isnt it? =P
    Quote Originally Posted by TRaNz View Post
    They had an Accord Euro meet.....had to show face and you know.....win some respect....and gain exp points to unlock a new sector along with tier 3 vinyl and decals. =D

Well I think it will be a bit of everything but mostly a weekend fun thing, you know.
    I mean I don't need it for transportation purposes so I'll just drive it around the mountains and to meets and what not, but I'll definitely try my hand at drifting.it will be my first proper rwd car so I'll probably kill it first go ha!
    Thanks for the love man

Why can't I find wheels that inexpensive around here :/

Awesome work man! Can't wait to see more progress!

Instagram - @choadyhighroller
    Quote Originally Posted by nickskater09 View Post
    I think Jody, along with Ashton, like to push the line between "street legal" and "realistically driveable".

I know I've been on the hunt for wheels every day since I bought the car haha and the wheels I have now are the only bargains I could find haha .
    I wish it was like America or Europe here in relation to cars and car things...

Thanks man
    I think next I'll be getting the drivers side front finished up and all panels re fitted maybe this weekend

proper jdm wheels are to come by here in europe