Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed! Removing spiring perch and or locking ring to go lower

What up guys!

Just out of curiosity, if I wanted to go lower in the rears on some coilovers (already maxed out), would removing either the spring perch or locking ring or both to go lower cause any damage or problems? It would give me more room to go lower, just dont know if it would cause any problems or not? I was thinking of just removing the locking ring on the adjusters for now, so the spring would still sit on the spring perch itself, would that hold the spring in place as its supposed to by itself?

Im talking about removing one of the red collars on the adjuster itself as seen below to go lower.

Thanks!

What coilovers are they and for what car?

-Dan

Comment

Their MeisterR coilovers for a Toyota Yaris... The fronts are nice and low, can still go lower, but the rears are maxed out are not low enough for me, got a bit of rake unfortunately.

Comment

I wouldn't remove anything. The spring sits on those adjusters, if you remove one there is a possibility that one could get loose or break and then that would be bad.

-Dan

Comment

The rears on the Yaris are independent from the shocks like in the pic below... The springs are on a separate adjuster and Ive heard that some people have removed the adjuster completely or only removed the bottom silver colored collar from the adjuster so there is only the top spring collar holding the spring?

Comment

Ohhh I thought they were true coilovers in the rear. In that case, yeah, you can remove them. I removed the whole adjuster and everything on my e36 so its just the spring in there.

-Dan

Comment

Thanks for the info! But if I only remove the bottom collar from the adjuster and leave the other one in place holding the spring, would that be fine? Also, a friend of mine said that if I remove the adjuster completely like in your case, the spring might fall out easily from its place because its short, has this ever happened to you or what should I look out for?

Comment

you can remove them. That cup for the spring is a bit weird, how was the stock spring secured? Reason i ask is because the way it is now, i wouldnt feel safe removing the threaded perch itself as it appears that it is the only thing holding the spring in place. The rings look like they can be removed though. I would maybe wrap the spring in electrical tape to prevent any clunking noises.

Removing just the lower adjuster is fine, since the adjuster is all the way down it wont move anyway. My rear coil overs have a similar design and they don't have a locking ring and they never moved on me. I've heard rumors of the spring falling out too, but i currently have no adjuster or perch, its just the spring in the cup and i havent had any issues, been that way for about 15K miles. The only way it would be possible is if the range of the shock exceeds the length of the spring when its completely out. My shock doesn't go that far and so the spring will never fall out.
                Last edited by Tuck&Poke; 04-27-2010, 03:45 PM.

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

Originally posted by ToTo View Post
                  Thanks for the info! But if I only remove the bottom collar from the adjuster and leave the other one in place holding the spring, would that be fine? Also, a friend of mine said that if I remove the adjuster completely like in your case, the spring might fall out easily from its place because its short, has this ever happened to you or what should I look out for?
                  My spring is in a cup like design at the bottom. The spring is moveable when the car is jacked up, but it could never leave the cup. There is a possibility of the spring falling out because its so short, but that would take me going airborne atleast 3 feet, the spring somehow getting over the cup lip, and then all of this happening within seconds before coming to the ground.

I drove like this for a good 5000mi without any problem at all, but I put the adjuster back in with just the collar, just to be safe

-Dan

Comment

The stock spring sits in the cup fine, there is a small part in the middle of the cup on which the spring snuggles against. The D2 spring in the picture is a lot shorter than the stock spring, which sat fine in its place because it was a lot longer.

What do you mean by if the range of the shock exceeds the length of the spring when its completely out? While lowering with this setup, I can adjust my shocks to either make them shorter or longer, while still maintaining shock travel.

So basically with only the spring in place, it will only become loose a bit and can be moved when the car is jacked up, but will not really fall out during driving, or can it also simply fall out when jacking up the car?

Comment

Originally posted by ToTo View Post
                      So basically with only the spring in place, it will only become loose a bit and can be moved when the car is jacked up, but will not really fall out during driving, or can it also simply fall out when jacking up the car?
                      Yes. If you can wiggle the spring while the car is on the ground, that is bad.

-Dan

Comment

you can take the whole adjuster out bro , i did it before i bought full coilovers !

Comment

The weight of the car is on the springs so they shouldn't move even without a locking perch in there. Just don't go driving around trying to get the car airborne and you should be okay lol

Flickr

Originally posted by Kielan
                          Oh FUCK YES, 6-10 inches for me this weekend. FUCK YES!

Comment

Thanks guys for your help!

Comment

Since this is a dual perch coilover design, the shock travel does not change when lowering the height. So if I take the adjusters out completely from the rears and only leave the springs in, will this put more stress on the shocks and can it cause them to wear, leak or malfunction a lot sooner than leaving the adjusters in?
                              Last edited by ToTo; 05-07-2010, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X