Clunking noise coming from front left driver side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aar0n. View Post
    I've had mine loosen a couple of times, the thunking noise is pretty distinct and it's an easy fix at least
    so i think i fgured it out, if you keep adjusting and re-adjusting the coils, it of coarse is going to loosen over time also as shocks wear, that could cause play that would eventually rattle that nut on the hi-lock to loosen over time.

Comment

Originally posted by lowpoke View Post
      so i think i fgured it out, if you keep adjusting and re-adjusting the coils, it of coarse is going to loosen over time also as shocks wear, that could cause play that would eventually rattle that nut on the hi-lock to loosen over time.
      That would make perfect sense now, I adjust mine all the time.
      -Jay

Comment

thank you to this thread!! i just fixed my clunking issue i have been having.. although i am on bags.. looks like my top strut nut got loose and was causing the clunk.. finally no more clunk clunk clunk.

thanks guys!
        Team 16NiSS

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TommyT View Post
          thank you to this thread!! i just fixed my clunking issue i have been having.. although i am on bags.. looks like my top strut nut got loose and was causing the clunk.. finally no more clunk clunk clunk.

thanks guys!
          Glad my problem has helped other people too!
          -Jay

Comment

Originally posted by lowpoke View Post
            its probably the hi-lock is loose on the top of the shock, i just had to pull my coils off and tighten them for the same clunking noise you are talking about.

inspection:
            when you take the coil over out. push down from the top against the coilover in its upright position (the way it sits on the car) if it clunks or moves back and forth at all you need to tighten the hi-lock.

hi-lock:
            where the bump stop attaches to the shock there is a hex head on the top of the shock rod that needs to be tightened all the way down until your about to break the allen key this should eliminate youre clunk.
            Great problem solving guys!

Which is the hi-lock though, I quite dont understand? Does someone have a picture of this perhaps cause I dont get what and where this is... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ToTo View Post
              Great problem solving guys!

Which is the hi-lock though, I quite dont understand? Does someone have a picture of this perhaps cause I dont get what and where this is... Thanks!
              Its the nut on the very top of the strut is the best way to explain it.
              -Jay

Comment

Oh cool, all right, got ya! So basically tighten that very top nut all the way down as much as possible?

Comment

You want an impact gun to do it. Tightening it by hand will not be enough

Flickr

Originally posted by Kielan
                  Oh FUCK YES, 6-10 inches for me this weekend. FUCK YES!

Comment

i cant use an impact wrench, mine has an allen key that has to be inserted while tightening it, kind of like a gimbal bolt. so i can only hand tighten mine with a high-lock set, basically a hollow ratchet the max tq i can put down with it is about 120 ft lbs, but usually some lock tight or hitting it with a piece of solder while keep it from turning and just re-heat the solder when i take it back off.

Comment

Yeap, thats exactly what I did.
                      -Jay

Comment

I have this same problem with my bc coils and for the love of god can't figure out how to fix it. I have done everything this thread says and it still makes a clunk.

Comment

Working...
                        X