Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daily 190E

Default Daily 190E

Some of you might remember my old ride:

Well, I sold it 2 weeks ago. I lost motivation in this project, I felt like I reached a dead end with it. The new owner seems cool, hopefully he'll have fun with it.

The next day I started hunting for a new ride. Since I moved to the city, I wanted something with a little more refinement, a sunroof and an automatic (never thought I'd say that of my life lol). I went looking at car with that thing on the hood

I ended up with this thing. 1992, 2.3 litres, broken odo at 242k kms (PO swears it broke during the test drive)...

It's fairly clean for a car of this vintage, it's got a sunroof and an automatic, and more refinement than the Jetta. So it checks all the boxes

I didn't really have time to work on it other than giving a good clean to the interior. First mod was fixing those sagging seat nets:

The plan is to drop it, put wheels on it and make it reliable enough to cruise the US 66 next spring when I finish school. And replace that horrid steering wheel!
    Last edited by Rocambolesque; 06-04-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Looks pretty clean planning on bagging it?

Nah, I'll probably do it the ghetto way, aka cutting 300/400E springs with E36 Raceland front shocks and Saab 900 rear shocks.

...Or maybe I won't be a hack and I'll buy YSR coils. Maybe.

Thread resurrection! Hell yeah!!

This week I ran to the american border and went to pick up Bilsteins and Eibachs. Look!

...then I got searched like a criminal when I crossed back in Canada. A Young guy with a Benz, probably a drug dealer...

The springs were kinda beat up and rusty. But upon cleaning them, they weren't so bad after all. Apparently they are older than the car, as they are stamped February 1991. Doesn't matter, they'll get cut anyways.

Tomorrow I'll install those. I also have to change a bunch of parts you probably don't care about, like engine mounts, ball joints, fuel filter, etc...
    Last edited by Rocambolesque; 09-06-2014 at 08:51 PM.

Very nice ! Is it a lot of work replacing shocks on a w123? 2 hours ?

Dude, I just did it today. I tought it would be pretty straighforward since I bought the right spring compressor to do the job. Every single bolt gave me hell. It was either torqued to 100000 Nm with Loctite, or rusted, or stripped, or difficult to access. I started at noon and finished around 8 PM. My whole body hurts right now.

But at least I have a cool suspension. Its not slammed (waiting for wheels to adjust final height), but the handling is very nice.

look forward to seeing this..

Nice job! J'aime

if u get a left rear view mirror from england you have two identical ones

that's what i did with mine

looks real clean

Quote Originally Posted by P78 View Post
    if u get a left rear view mirror from england you have two identical ones

that's what i did with mine

looks real clean
    I might do just that, the rubber things are all dryed out and cracked. For some reason I can only find complete mirrors...

Now here's the moment where you will get disappointed. This is after 2 weeks on the Bilstein/Eibach combo:

If you compare with the photo in my first post, you'll see that the car has been dropped about 1" all around. Not very low at all I think I'll leave it like that for the winter and I'll get cutting after getting new wheels when spring comes around.

Here's what I did today. The car's rear parcel shelf was looking like this since I bought the car. The black material faded to purple and the PO installed (or had installed) aftermarket speakers and junked the clean looking OEM grilles. He probably thought the spaceship look of almost all aftermarket speakers was cool. It's not.

So I took the thing out and sprayed it with Duplicolor fabric paint. Results were good.

One thing I noticed with Mercedes is that the odd bits and pieces are somewhat hard to find, and if you manage to find them, the guy will probably ask an arm and a leg. Plus, junkyards aren't filled with old Mercs. All of this to say that I couldn't find a set of OEM speaker grilles. I thought about doing something else. I trimmed the mounting tabs on the speakers to get them to sit lower than the shelf. Then I asked my sister to cut me 2 pieces of fabric with the same shape as the OEM grilles and sew the edges. I secured them with black thub tacks. There you go, refurbished rear shelf:

The rear muffler broke last week. It doesn't make much more noise. A Bosal muffler is about 250$. I cut the bracket and the turndown tip off the old muffler and welded them to a piece of pipe. All painted with VHT flameproof paint:

Installed (there's still mud stuck in my bumper!):

It's completely hidden like the original muffler, you don't see it from behind the car. You just hear a slightly deeper exhaust note.

I also couldn't find the spark plug wire holder thing for under 40$, so I decided to make my own with zipties. Now the wired don't touch the hot metal:

And finally plugged the hole left from the licence plate frame with a metal plug I found at a hardware store:

You know that hole is there for your outside air temperature, do you?
    Lucas
    Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by LCG View Post
    High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

^rekt

Quote Originally Posted by loekaaz View Post
    You know that hole is there for your outside air temperature, do you?
    I know, I put it somewhere else.

Any updates ?

This was beginning to be interesting !

After a long and snowy winter of drifting just about every street corner, getting stuck on ice multiple times and swearing at my worn-out, 80$ dollar tires, it's time to take care of the car and get ready for summer. Fortunately, nothing broke during the winter, and I gotta say that I'm surprised by the fact that the car started every single time, even in -25 celcius weather. CIS is better than I expected...

When mid-May comes around, I'll be leaving on a 4-week solo road trip with this car. I'll be going to Chicago first, where I'll take the old Route 66 all the way to L.A. Then I'll take the PCH up to SF, where I'll head east through Yosemite Park, up to the Bonneville Salt Flats, then east again through Wyoming and Iowa before heading back home.

Sounds totally awesome doesn't it!?

Now if some of you live along the way and wanna shoot the shizznit, drink beers and talk cars, PM me! I want to see how the car culture is away from home!

That means I need to get work done! And don't worry, I won't disappoint all of you by doing this trip with the car this high up in the air. The stock wheels (had to choose between wheels or motels during roadtrip) will get re-wrapped with 195/50's and springs will get cut.

Its still cold out here, but today it was warm enough for me to refinish the cluster. The 7 needles each had their own hue of orange:

Got some acrylic paint and a brush from the local art store and worked my magic. I also ordered W124 gauge trim rings. W201 ones were like 40$ instead of 15$, and I figured both clusters were the same by looking at pictures. Wrong! I ended up cutting the W124 ones apart to fit them:

And a night shot:

And to finish, here's a shot from last fall:

This week I went through old boxes of parts with my boss at work. Then, we encountered those 2 items:

Its an Audi turbo i5 wastegate and a NOS TCI line-lock. My boss said "here, you can have them". Hey, this is just how the turbo Jetta project began... The turbo will have to wait after my USA roadtrip, but the line-lock can go in before!

Also, I just ordered 4 new Kumho 195/50/15 tires. I'm gonna repaint those wheels and do spacers, probably 20mm in the back and 10mm in the front. Gotta work with what I have!

Love the build! Can't wait to see more progress

- Renato
    TWMPerformance.com | TWMShiftKnobs.com | GodSaveTheManuals.com

very nice car

you don't me asking, how do you hook up the line lock?

Subscribed for more. I love 190Es...

Moar lows coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Motoman325 View Post
    very nice car

you don't me asking, how do you hook up the line lock?
    The line lock is a very simple device. Its just a valve that blocks one of your brake lines. You put that on the brake line that goes to the front wheels. You cut the line, put fittings and flare it. Then you put the button somewhere handy inside the car. To operate, you brake, press the button and hold, release the brake and stomp the loud pedal! Once you release the button, it releases the brakes. I don't know if I'll have time to hook it up before leaving though, and I'm not sure I want to touch the lines on the car haha!

Roadtrip preparation has officially started. I quit my job and I only work on the car for the next 2 weeks, then after that I'm leaving!

I quickly found out that winter has taken its toll on the poor car. I swear this wasn't there last fall!

But that got dealth with quickly (along with a few other spots under the car)

I was hesitant about painting the wheels. With such a large flat surface and rattle cans skills that need improvement, I was worried about a blotchy finish. Decided to go for it anyways, turned out better than expected Got the tires mounted after, and gave the wheels a good wax

Took the single wiper out of the car. Those like to fail after all those years because the grease inside dries up and the half moon gear gets stripped. Mine was starting to slow down and get stuck on the middle of the windshield. Look inside, its cool engineering:

I had some red vinyl layin around, so I did some parts of the backup lights. This way you only see the white part when you're behind the car with your eyes at the level of the lights. I thought about doing the amber part, but I think it looks good as is.

I also did things like the fuel filter and voltage regulator, but I didn't take pictures... Tomorrow I'm going to my parts supplier to pick up about 500$ worth of parts. I'll return soon with more updates!

Diggin it. I'm in.

By the way, let me know if you want to sell those front seats. I have a need for some 190 seats.

Last fall I wanted to change all 3 engine mounts but couldn't figure out how to access the top bolt of the driver's side one, so I changed 2 and left the others like that. Now I gt it figured out, you had to remove the fuel distributor The metering plate was sticking a bit, so I cleaned it.

This car never had a working handbrake. The cables were cut under the car. I removed the rear discs and found this:

It was seized open, the linings overheated and exploded. After many hours spent un-seizing everything I got all 4 corners done with new brakes.

I also tried de-badging the rear, but some parts of the clearcoat came off with the old glue. I stuck the badges back on.

The engine was drinking a lot of oil. These old Merc motors are know to have the valve seals go bad. So I got myself a spring compressor and went to town.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the compressor on the exhaust valve of the 4th cylinder because the firewall is in the way. Still got 7 out of 8, I'll just burn 1/8th of what I was doing before.

This got stripped down and painted. I'll install it tomorrow.

Finally got the car back on the ground with the new tires. Holy wheelgap!

Belly pan clearance is adequate for a 10000 km trip on a mostly abandoned road, so I guess I'll only cut chop some springs when I get back. Sorry to disappoint haha

Finally got to replace those shitty faded plastic DOT lights with euro ones

How I left it tonight

Tomorrow I button up the engine and finish the interior, Tuesday I'm getting an alignment and Wedneday I'm hitting the road towards Chicago!

BONUS: my old Jetta now sits on BBS RM's (+repainted most of the car)! Always wanted some, could never afford/find a good deal. The new owner really did a great job on it!
    Last edited by Rocambolesque; 05-17-2015 at 09:46 PM.

I came back from my route 66 trip. The car did 13000 km in 27 days without any major issues. It has all my respect now haha. This trip was probably the best thing I did in my life since a while. Basically I drove to Chicago, then I took the 66 to LA, south to San Diego (went to Tijuana for a night too, by foot), back up the PCH, then back to Chicago via I-80 and finally back home in Montreal.

Here's the car before the trip, fully compounded and waxed. Major improvement in the looks department.

Look at that reflection hehe

And a few cool pictures from the trip:
    Boots Court, Carthage, MO

66 Drive-In in Carthage

Galena, KS

My motel in Chandler, OK

Bridgeport, OK

Route 66 is so calm, no traffic, no cops, almost no speed limits at some points. Very therapeutic to drive.

Cadillac Ranch

Glenrio, TX

Cool place with a cool owner near Tucumcari, NM

Near Albuquerque

Somewhere in NM

Grand Canyon

Sitgreaves Pass, AZ (almost overheated there!)

Roy's in Amboy, CA

Santa Monica, CA

Cool Ford in San Diego

PCH

Yosemite

Elko, NV

Bonneville Flats!

Wyoming

Now some of you may have heard that the cops here in Quebec are cracking down real hard on anything that's lowered... That means this car will head into a new direction. The thing will get lowered a bit more just to close the wheelgap and then I'll get spacers. It will still look kinda OEM to the untrained eye, so maybe I'll be under the radar. The little 4-banger had absolutely zero power in the high-altitude regions of the western USA. This needs to get adressed soon...

The engine's been leaking and burning more and more oil these days, even with the 7 new valve seals. One day I found oil in the coolant so it was time to order parts to do the headgasket.

I took one last drive and one last picture haha:

Then I started the job by removing everything

After a lot of work and swearing I finally got the head out

Looking inside, I found an insane amount of carbon buildup, probably because of all that oil that has been burning. It was so thick that at first glance I thought the pistons were flat, but after cleaning one of them I found out they were slightly domed with recesses cut for the valves! Cylinder wall still had crosshatching on them, so that's good

I sent the head to the machine shop, they had to weld it because there was damage to #4's chamber. Here it is all cleaned up, welded and milled.

Since the head was out, I decided to design a basic turbo manifold. I've been pondering with the idea for a while, and with that done I think it would be easy and cheap. I thought about putting a cam to wake up the motor a bit, but I could probably turbo it for 1000$ and get 30-40 extra horses and much more torque, which is really what this little motor needs. This design uses regular weld-els and a T2 flange. I could get a T25 with internal wastegate for quick spoolup, limit boost to 5-6 psi, no intercooler and handle fuel with one or 2 of these 30# injectors plumbed right in the charge pipe with an AIC controlling them...

I finally slapped the rebuilt head back on it and it ran perfectly for like 5 minutes. Then a lifter collapsed. I eventually replaced it and after that it was all good. It even felt like it picked up a bit of power!
    Last edited by Rocambolesque; 03-20-2016 at 10:32 PM.