No announcement yet.

1Bad37: C5 Corvette Meets '37 Chevy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad you mad this, because i always saw your sig and thought it was just lowered on wheels. This thread made me appreciate soooooooooooooooo much more! Props

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

Ok guys, sort of an update. Well at least something has happened rather than nothing!
      Pull driveshafts

Diff comes out!

Time to start another pile of parts!
      Like my shaft?

undo some more bolts and this heavy hunk of metal comes out!

I've always ***** the look of this solenoid on the side of the trans... AND it serves absolutely ZERO purpose. It's job is to MAKE you shift from 1st gear to 4th! Thanks Chevy!
      Stupid thing out of there for a small mod! (it had no idea what was coming!

I kinda broke the connector last year stepping on it, But I never had it hooked up anyway since I want a 6 speed not a 4!
      It met the (cough) reaper (cough) I mean grinder.
      Made a weld on that little rod to keep the plunger thing from rattling out and jamming something up in the trans. Sand it up with the DA and done.

Finished install! Looks much cleaner! Looks much better to me and that's all that matters. I can shorten the wiring harness to get rid of the 1-4 solenoid wires and I have a 6 speed again!

More parts for the pile!!!

Shaft is getting longer!

The rest are pretty much random pics of stuff! I may or may not be trying to polish this shiz up. It would look killer but it would be a major PITA so IDK yet...

Why tear it all down?
      Well, 1st gear pops out and grinds pretty much every time I select 1st and use some throttle (apply torque). The weird part is that if I select 1st and hold the shifter in 1st (pushing on the gate) and slowly let out the clutch, it will make a loud clunk. After the cluck it will operate as it should, I can burn the tires or whatever, and shift into 2nd like normal...

Also, when engine braking like when rolling up to a stop sign, I can stick it in 1st and let the clutch out while rolling slow and it will still pop out and make all manner of grinding noise. Again, once I've clunked it into 1st, I can decelerate just fine...

All the other gears work normally, and the clutch works ok as well...

I asked on LS1tech and these pics are recycled from that thread...

1st gear

IMG_7439m by Der E30, on Flickr
      1/2 fork, looks fine to me…

IMG_7435m by Der E30, on Flickr
      3rd

3rd:4th slider by Der E30, on Flickr
      3-4 slider from 3rd side… Most of the sliders look more or less like this, pretty good as far as I know...

3rd slider by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7456m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7457m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7454m by Der E30, on Flickr
      IMG_7453m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7450m by Der E30, on Flickr
      IMG_7449m by Der E30, on Flickr

The more I look at the teeth on 1st gear itself, the more I think that the circled area could be the issue, the teeth all look the same, almost rounded off right on the corner...

IMG_7446m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7459 by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7461m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7460m by Der E30, on Flickr

Gonna build basically a stage 2 trans with bronze fork pads and billet keys, might order a new 1st gear and 1-2 slider as well. Might put it back together with a new short shifter and fluid with the stg2 parts but no gear/slider. A new 1st gear and slider is ~260 bucks so if I can avoid buying those I will...

It throwing the lever out of 1st was the number 1 reason for second gear drifts and burnouts.. It is enormously frustrating to have it pull that crap, especially when you've driven the stupid thing like 600 miles EVER
      Last edited by DER E30; 04-03-2015, 03:47 PM.
      -Christian.

'91 318iS AW2/blk slow garage queen/build...
      '02 ///M3 carbonschwartz 6MT daily beast
      '37 Chevy pickup-garagequeen...

Comment

So I did a thing.

Morimoto MiniD2s projectors
        This also happened.
        Much shiny
        -Christian.

Comment

This is amazing. Love the idea and look of it. Beautiful build man!

Comment

Originally posted by kneums View Post
            This is amazing. Love the idea and look of it. Beautiful build man!
            Thanks man, I'm trying! School and work bury me but I'm slowly working there! Its been almost 10 years in the making! I'm really hoping to get it in gloss black by the GoodGuys show in August. I think I might go paint shop-shopping and just have somebody do it... I'm burned out on sanding stuff... I have some extra commitments the next two weeks but hopefully after that I can get it ready for paint, then drop it off somewhere... Then say "your problem, make it shine!"
            -Christian.

Comment

And now I will blast with many unedited/blurry/crap on the lens and generally BS iPhone pics!:lol: Couldn't find the camera for the new ones and the "in progress" pics I almost always forget the camera and pull out the phone as its ALWAYS in my pocket pumping tunes into my earbuds...:lol:
              Here's the sanding station! I spent too many hours sitting on that stupid yellow bucket!

Putting the mainshaft into the case on my official GM workstation!:lol:

This part is a pain to get right! THis is the actual shift gate/link where shifts happen. THe 5/6 and R forks are on their own linkage that is a pain to make interface with the 1/2/3/4's shift fork. You might pick up that I did the brass fork pads and Viper steel 3/4 fork...

At this point I forgot all about pics and was wrenching. If you ever rebuild one of these, to put the pressed on 5/6 gear back on the mainshaft, heat it up in your oven at 500 degrees and it will fall right on. If you ever take one of these apart you'll know which gear I mean, its a HUGE PITA to take off!!!:lol:
              Trans back in and no leaks! I **** the smell of ATF in the morning:lol:

The seating arrangement in this aircraft, the plain black seats are the ones I've been using. My dad and I reupholstered them several years ago, they're a stock style replacement. I'm gonna have to replace them though as they hurt my tailbone after about an hour of driving...:waah: I hurt pretty bad after driving to the Goodguys show last year, and that's ~1.5-2 hrs away...:waah: I'm leaning toward doing them in a chocolate brown color rather like a king ranch ford truck... Probably stitched somewhat like that E30 seat leaning on the wall next to the truck seat. And no, that seat won't work, trust me, I tried to make it work... Its too wide and stuff...:lol:

This is the trans as it sits currently, the diff cover is freshly polished, I could polish it for months but this is close enough I think...:lol:

What the shop situation looks like now...
              THe diff as it sits about 10 mins ago:lol: NOT looking forward to polishing that. Thoughts on painting the center part gold and polishing both of the side covers??

-Christian.

Comment

So much quality work you put into this. It certainly paid, off, great work

Renato
                Team TWM Performance
                TWMPerformance.com | TWMShiftKnobs.com | GodSaveTheManuals.com
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TWM Performance View Post
                  So much quality work you put into this. It certainly paid, off, great work

Renato
                  Team TWM Performance
                  Thanks man, Not sure its paid off yet though... Still a bit of tunnel left before getting outside!

Should be ordering gauges end of this or beginning of next week. Gonna be patching the unneeded holes in the firewall this week maybe too if I can get and keep my ducks in a row

Still need to test my newly built trans. If I didn't say already the trans is a full stage 2 build now, brass shift fork pads, billet keys, steel Viper 3/4 fork and BRAND NEW Tremec 1st gear and slider. It had better work properly Oh, and I bought a short shifter for it. Maybe I'll get somebody to hold the camera for you guys and make some smoke for (cough) R&D (cough)
                  -Christian.

Comment

I kinda forgot about taking pics, so this is the beginning. You didn't miss much, I spent probably an hour thinking about making this cut and welds

I cut out the entire stock gauge mounting area as one piece. That seemed the most logical and straightforward solution.

What am I cutting the dash for? Dakota Digital VHX, the cluster will glow orange/red with white needles at night.

View from the driver's seat. The protective plastic is still on the gauges, that's why they look weird.
                    Then I put some body filler on...
                    -Christian.

Comment

Didn't get the camera out in the shop till after I'd pulled the nose and spilled the entire contents of the rad on the ground minus 1 gallon...: THe petcock valve dumps on the frame so it goes everywhere and is an enormous mess, need to fix that...
                      IMG_7822m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7825m by Der E30, on Flickr

Suspension shot! Love the heim ends on the steering. Makes it super direct!
                      IMG_7828m by Der E30, on Flickr
                      Snaking the steering around the manifold was a pain...
                      IMG_7835m by Der E30, on Flickr
                      Pulling the cab with handy dandy hoist.
                      IMG_7839m by Der E30, on Flickr
                      IMG_7842m by Der E30, on Flickr
                      No cab now!IMG_7843m by Der E30, on Flickr
                      Dat LSIMG_7844 by Der E30, on Flickr
                      IMG_7846m by Der E30, on Flickr
                      IMG_7849m by Der E30, on Flickr
                      IMG_7850m by Der E30, on FlickrIMG_7845m by Der E30, on Flickr
                      -Christian.

Comment

Woah. How did i miss this thread?! So cool! I saw a Model A w/ a vette motor @ the kirkland classic car show a few years ago. This kinda reminds me of that car

Good work!

Comment

Originally posted by TruTaing View Post
                          Woah. How did i miss this thread?! So cool! I saw a Model A w/ a vette motor @ the kirkland classic car show a few years ago. This kinda reminds me of that car

Good work!
                          Thanks man!
                          So I bought a thing and cut a big hole to fit it... But first, this is what I started with.

New toy that doesn't fit that well under the dash with that big bump in the firewall. I'll move it down to fix this small problem, this will also look better with the engine there also...

Mark a line with chalk-welder's pen thing

Made some noise!

Idea of where I'm going with this!

Didn't have a piece of steel big enough to patch the hole, so this is the end for today...

Until another day! Or tonight...:
                          -Christian.

Comment

So school's out yesterday, time to get back to work!
                            I'm gonna delete all of the weird lines in the frame from the welds that are from when the tube is made, like on this rail.

Pulled the trans again as it was in the way.

No, I'm not done with the filler anywhere here, but I started pulling the fuel tank so I could get to the bars under the back of the torque tube.

Dragged the pallet jack out from behind the shop and put the cab on a pallet and moved it out of the way for something you might guess...

Didn't drop anything expensive!1: The reason its so dark is that I was just turning off the lights, as it was like 1:20 am.

Planning on respraying the frame this week hopefully, going for a slightly darker red.
                            -Christian.

Comment

Little update! I made these gussets because I felt like it needed them, probably pointless but whatever.

#cambergang

No, it doesn't really go that far, note the lugnuts on the ground...
                              Took off the back wheels

This happened.

SOme pics of the frame.

Gonna be cleaning all this stuff up, cause its nasty.
                              Last edited by DER E30; 06-12-2015, 02:03 PM.
                              -Christian.

Comment

I washed the rear arms and suspernsion, as well as took apart the coils for cleaning, then reassembled them without one of the collars... So the coils are ~10mm shorter and the truck should theoretically tuck wheel in the back just a little, full droop should tuck a tiny part of the tire! I already have to park on 2x4s to get a jack under the subframe, so why not a little more lows?

The frame under the bed is getting closer to primer. No, that's before I started sanding most of that.

Little brace here.
                                Last edited by DER E30; 06-14-2015, 01:02 PM.
                                -Christian.

Comment

Working...
                                X