Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1Bad37: C5 Corvette Meets '37 Chevy...

Default 1Bad37: C5 Corvette Meets '37 Chevy...

This is my project... Itís a 1937 Chevrolet 1/2 ton truck, with a 2001 Corvette engine, or LS1, a T56 6 speed trans, and 3.46 rear end. The frame was custom made by myself with help from my father over the last two years to suit the full Corvette independent suspension and disk brakes all the way around. The truck is supported by a set of fully adjustable coil overs. The wheels are stock 2001 wheels 18x9.5+56 rear, 17x8.5+56 with 255s on rear so they donít rub on the already 2inch wider rear fenders. The front end is narrowed 6 inches. The Corvette trans is under the bed connected to the motor by a torque tube. The torque tube was custom extended 6.5 inches. The trans being in the back was the reason I made the bed tilt, so people could see the amount of time and effort that went into the truck.The Corvetteís electronics are all there, slimmed down by myself on cold winter nights. (PITA:lol The Security systems are all there, I just wired it in such a way that everything that wants to talk, does.
    First off some "picking it up pics!" This kid has NO IDEA what he just got himself into!!!

100_3673m by Der E30, on Flickr

100_3678m by Der E30, on Flickr

I remember being super excited the whole ride home! People were giving us thumbs up the whole way!

100_3682m by Der E30, on Flickr

These were two years ago in July í11...

IMG_0560m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_0562m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_0630m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_0570m by Der E30, on Flickr

That was the first time the frame had seen real daylight!

Fast forward to last summer...

[/QUOTE]

[IMG]
    background by Der E30, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    IMG_1302m by Der E30, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG_1329m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1342mm by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1298m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1306m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1347m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1367m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1360m by Der E30, on Flickr

Annnnd some pics of under the hood and bed...
    [IMG]
    IMG_4504 by Der E30, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG_4515 by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_4521 by Der E30, on Flickr

[IMG]
    IMG_4527 by Der E30, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    IMG_4528 by Der E30, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG_4532 by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1298m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1306m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1347m by Der E30, on Flickr

IPhone doesnít pick up light too well but I made due, the real camera was home that day...

IMG_1543m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1536m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1537m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1540m by Der E30, on Flickr

Driverís point of view when cruising...

IMG_1535m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1547m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1551m by Der E30, on Flickr

Driving out of hell!

IMG_1535mm by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1544m by Der E30, on Flickr

A few with my great grandpappyís truck the beast he bought new... The beast is next in line to get worked on...

IMG_1573m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1593mc by Der E30, on Flickr

And to the reason I'm starting a build thread today and not earlier is I was swamped with skool (and working on my DD's little issues) all winter and basically got nothing done all winter is that I'm almost done with skool for the summer and I will be actually making some progress!!!:metal: I'll upload some pics of the parts I picked up last wee. Shaved door kit and some glass related parts... Today I dropped off my glass to get tinted. Pics when its back! Gotta have SOMETHING done before the Arlington Show and SHine on the 14th!
    As she sits currently...

New things I got, besides the power window motor.

Sound deadener I've been doing plus the mock up actuator spot.
    -Christian.

'91 318iS AW2/blk slow garage queen/build...
    '02 ///M3 carbonschwartz 6MT daily beast
    '37 Chevy pickup-garagequeen...

i dont really know what to say other than this is some cool shit dude. how does it handle in the twisties thats what i wanna know.

Damn, that's badass!

I love these restomod trucks.

Thanks guys! It handles quite well in the twisties although I won't push it as I have too much in it so I have more fun with my car... Funny how that works... I have a list that covers a whole sheet of paper to do over the summer, mostly to do with paint...
    Last edited by DER E30; 01-19-2015 at 12:38 PM.
    -Christian.

Amazing truck man, espacially with that enginge
    IG: @blk_A45

Awesome work man! Can't say I'm a fan of the wheels, and the cab and bed need to sit lower on the frame closer to the rocker panels. Or at least paint that part of the frame black.

Keep it up man, I'm sure the vette running gear in that is fun! It was a base vette that it was taken from I'm assuming?
    2010 135i | Alpine White | Coral Red | 6MT | Bagged

Build | Instagram: fifty3bags

such a badass whip. Reminds me of something you'd see on overhaulin..but home grown!
    Like a glove

Quote Originally Posted by Dome View Post
    Amazing truck man, espacially with that enginge
    Quote Originally Posted by fifty3bags View Post
    Awesome work man! Can't say I'm a fan of the wheels, and the cab and bed need to sit lower on the frame closer to the rocker panels. Or at least paint that part of the frame black.

Keep it up man, I'm sure the vette running gear in that is fun! It was a base vette that it was taken from I'm assuming?
    Yeah, I don't have the filler panels in in any of the pics, I have ones that go below the doors and under the bed in front of the back fenders but they need some work to go on. When they're on the frame isn't visible at all from the side... Just need to paint the plate between the front a arms as that is visible from the front...
    Yup base vette that got totaled but still had good suspension and drivetrain...

Quote Originally Posted by danielsahhhn View Post
    such a badass whip. Reminds me of something you'd see on overhaulin..but home grown!
    Thanks its been a long journey to get to here but its been worth it... I think
    -Christian.

This truck is soooo hard. LS1 all the things!

Love your truck man! Any updates recently?

Cheap ain't badass, badass ain't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Semu View Post
    Love your truck man! Any updates recently?
    Uhh, I took the bed all apart and cut my exhaust all up to adjust the tips. Was gonna order a complete vintage air ac/heater kit for it but idk if I will... Thinking about selling to do fun things to my e30 and buy a 46M3...idk maybe it's the January want something different sickness. I probably won't though so it will go further apart and get painted and said vintage air installed...also my trans needs new 1st gear synchro...
    -Christian.

Pics of taking it apart... Dang, didn't realize they were that dark...

Put some sound deadener stuff in over the summer, makes the doors not sound like tin!

Always ***** the way the mufflers could be seen from the side under the fenders...

I WILL FIX!

Actually the second time the exhaust went under the knife, or should I say grinder! I angled the cans up so they can't be seen from the side, it looks 10x better...
    -Christian.

Looking great!

Renato
    Team TWM Performance

Very cool man. I love the hints of vette throughout the truck. But I would change the wheels/ paint the brakes back to black. Love it otherwise!

such a cool build. I dig the mix of old with newer stuff, usually makes for reliable and fun rides

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

I'm glad you mad this, because i always saw your sig and thought it was just lowered on wheels. This thread made me appreciate soooooooooooooooo much more! Props

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Ok guys, sort of an update. Well at least something has happened rather than nothing!
    Pull driveshafts

Diff comes out!

Time to start another pile of parts!
    Like my shaft?

undo some more bolts and this heavy hunk of metal comes out!

I've always ***** the look of this solenoid on the side of the trans... AND it serves absolutely ZERO purpose. It's job is to MAKE you shift from 1st gear to 4th! Thanks Chevy!
    Stupid thing out of there for a small mod! (it had no idea what was coming!

I kinda broke the connector last year stepping on it, But I never had it hooked up anyway since I want a 6 speed not a 4!
    It met the (cough) reaper (cough) I mean grinder.
    Made a weld on that little rod to keep the plunger thing from rattling out and jamming something up in the trans. Sand it up with the DA and done.

Finished install! Looks much cleaner! Looks much better to me and that's all that matters. I can shorten the wiring harness to get rid of the 1-4 solenoid wires and I have a 6 speed again!

More parts for the pile!!!

Shaft is getting longer!

The rest are pretty much random pics of stuff! I may or may not be trying to polish this shiz up. It would look killer but it would be a major PITA so IDK yet...

Why tear it all down?
    Well, 1st gear pops out and grinds pretty much every time I select 1st and use some throttle (apply torque). The weird part is that if I select 1st and hold the shifter in 1st (pushing on the gate) and slowly let out the clutch, it will make a loud clunk. After the cluck it will operate as it should, I can burn the tires or whatever, and shift into 2nd like normal...

Also, when engine braking like when rolling up to a stop sign, I can stick it in 1st and let the clutch out while rolling slow and it will still pop out and make all manner of grinding noise. Again, once I've clunked it into 1st, I can decelerate just fine...

All the other gears work normally, and the clutch works ok as well...

I asked on LS1tech and these pics are recycled from that thread...

1st gear

IMG_7439m by Der E30, on Flickr
    1/2 fork, looks fine to me…

IMG_7435m by Der E30, on Flickr
    3rd

3rd:4th slider by Der E30, on Flickr
    3-4 slider from 3rd side… Most of the sliders look more or less like this, pretty good as far as I know...

3rd slider by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7456m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7457m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7454m by Der E30, on Flickr
    IMG_7453m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7450m by Der E30, on Flickr
    IMG_7449m by Der E30, on Flickr

The more I look at the teeth on 1st gear itself, the more I think that the circled area could be the issue, the teeth all look the same, almost rounded off right on the corner...

IMG_7446m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7459 by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7461m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7460m by Der E30, on Flickr

Gonna build basically a stage 2 trans with bronze fork pads and billet keys, might order a new 1st gear and 1-2 slider as well. Might put it back together with a new short shifter and fluid with the stg2 parts but no gear/slider. A new 1st gear and slider is ~260 bucks so if I can avoid buying those I will...

It throwing the lever out of 1st was the number 1 reason for second gear drifts and burnouts.. It is enormously frustrating to have it pull that crap, especially when you've driven the stupid thing like 600 miles EVER
    Last edited by DER E30; 04-03-2015 at 03:47 PM.
    -Christian.

So I did a thing.

Morimoto MiniD2s projectors
    This also happened.
    Much shiny
    -Christian.

This is amazing. Love the idea and look of it. Beautiful build man!

Quote Originally Posted by kneums View Post
    This is amazing. Love the idea and look of it. Beautiful build man!
    Thanks man, I'm trying! School and work bury me but I'm slowly working there! Its been almost 10 years in the making! I'm really hoping to get it in gloss black by the GoodGuys show in August. I think I might go paint shop-shopping and just have somebody do it... I'm burned out on sanding stuff... I have some extra commitments the next two weeks but hopefully after that I can get it ready for paint, then drop it off somewhere... Then say "your problem, make it shine!"
    -Christian.

And now I will blast with many unedited/blurry/crap on the lens and generally BS iPhone pics!:lol: Couldn't find the camera for the new ones and the "in progress" pics I almost always forget the camera and pull out the phone as its ALWAYS in my pocket pumping tunes into my earbuds...:lol:
    Here's the sanding station! I spent too many hours sitting on that stupid yellow bucket!

Putting the mainshaft into the case on my official GM workstation!:lol:

This part is a pain to get right! THis is the actual shift gate/link where shifts happen. THe 5/6 and R forks are on their own linkage that is a pain to make interface with the 1/2/3/4's shift fork. You might pick up that I did the brass fork pads and Viper steel 3/4 fork...

At this point I forgot all about pics and was wrenching. If you ever rebuild one of these, to put the pressed on 5/6 gear back on the mainshaft, heat it up in your oven at 500 degrees and it will fall right on. If you ever take one of these apart you'll know which gear I mean, its a HUGE PITA to take off!!!:lol:
    Trans back in and no leaks! I **** the smell of ATF in the morning:lol:

The seating arrangement in this aircraft, the plain black seats are the ones I've been using. My dad and I reupholstered them several years ago, they're a stock style replacement. I'm gonna have to replace them though as they hurt my tailbone after about an hour of driving...:waah: I hurt pretty bad after driving to the Goodguys show last year, and that's ~1.5-2 hrs away...:waah: I'm leaning toward doing them in a chocolate brown color rather like a king ranch ford truck... Probably stitched somewhat like that E30 seat leaning on the wall next to the truck seat. And no, that seat won't work, trust me, I tried to make it work... Its too wide and stuff...:lol:

This is the trans as it sits currently, the diff cover is freshly polished, I could polish it for months but this is close enough I think...:lol:

What the shop situation looks like now...
    THe diff as it sits about 10 mins ago:lol: NOT looking forward to polishing that. Thoughts on painting the center part gold and polishing both of the side covers??

-Christian.

So much quality work you put into this. It certainly paid, off, great work

Renato
    Team TWM Performance

Quote Originally Posted by TWM Performance View Post
    So much quality work you put into this. It certainly paid, off, great work

Renato
    Team TWM Performance
    Thanks man, Not sure its paid off yet though... Still a bit of tunnel left before getting outside!

Should be ordering gauges end of this or beginning of next week. Gonna be patching the unneeded holes in the firewall this week maybe too if I can get and keep my ducks in a row

Still need to test my newly built trans. If I didn't say already the trans is a full stage 2 build now, brass shift fork pads, billet keys, steel Viper 3/4 fork and BRAND NEW Tremec 1st gear and slider. It had better work properly Oh, and I bought a short shifter for it. Maybe I'll get somebody to hold the camera for you guys and make some smoke for (cough) R&D (cough)
    -Christian.

I kinda forgot about taking pics, so this is the beginning. You didn't miss much, I spent probably an hour thinking about making this cut and welds

I cut out the entire stock gauge mounting area as one piece. That seemed the most logical and straightforward solution.

What am I cutting the dash for? Dakota Digital VHX, the cluster will glow orange/red with white needles at night.

View from the driver's seat. The protective plastic is still on the gauges, that's why they look weird.
    Then I put some body filler on...
    -Christian.

Didn't get the camera out in the shop till after I'd pulled the nose and spilled the entire contents of the rad on the ground minus 1 gallon...: THe petcock valve dumps on the frame so it goes everywhere and is an enormous mess, need to fix that...
    IMG_7822m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7825m by Der E30, on Flickr

Suspension shot! Love the heim ends on the steering. Makes it super direct!
    IMG_7828m by Der E30, on Flickr
    Snaking the steering around the manifold was a pain...
    IMG_7835m by Der E30, on Flickr
    Pulling the cab with handy dandy hoist.
    IMG_7839m by Der E30, on Flickr
    IMG_7842m by Der E30, on Flickr
    No cab now!IMG_7843m by Der E30, on Flickr
    Dat LSIMG_7844 by Der E30, on Flickr
    IMG_7846m by Der E30, on Flickr
    IMG_7849m by Der E30, on Flickr
    IMG_7850m by Der E30, on FlickrIMG_7845m by Der E30, on Flickr
    -Christian.