Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My kingdom for Panasport C8-17! (G7-C8S)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was told yesterday that FedEx would be there yesterday morning and I'd have my tracking number that day. No tracking number yet. Hopefully I'll get it today.

Comment

those are sick

let's hope today brings better news for you
      Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Tracking numbers are in. They are due at my place Saturday.

Comment

The wheels came this morning and everything looks good and the specs check out (only thing I haven't confirmed is the hub bore, but I'm confident they got it right).

Bear with me while I get a bunch of over-due updates posted to other forums. I'll get around to posting pics soon-ish. It may take some time, but I always deliver.

Sit tight.

Comment

That must have been a VERY happy moment when you opened up those boxes!

Comment

Man I remember seeing this thread when it was first posted. I have a serious admiration for your resolve to find this unicorn set of wheels. And to get them brand spanking new must be an added plus. And you're only an hour south of me! You should come to the upstate for some shows, I would love to see these babies in person!
              Originally posted by electricalbox
              12 inches of goodness!

Comment

Originally posted by lamsv View Post
                That must have been a VERY happy moment when you opened up those boxes!
                I was, I assure you. =]

Originally posted by Strawhat View Post
                And you're only an hour south of me! You should come to the upstate for some shows, I would love to see these babies in person!
                I'll see what I can work out in the future. Be warned, you're more likely to see the car at VIR or other locals tracks, versus Cars and Coffee.

I've been planning on this day for a long time, and I have wheels of similar size on the car already, so I know I'm limited in tire choices. I thought I'd found some new stock of Kumho Ecsta XS tires in the coveted 295-35-17 size (lots of S2000, Z3, Supra, 300ZX, Factory Five folks looking for an auto-x tire in this size) but I was too late and they'd sold out. I'm not too upset, since it wasn't really my ideal tire anyway.

I found out that Nitto tends to run narrow (I'm used to owning performance tires that run wide) and after seeing a picture of a Nitto NT05 in 315-35-17 on a 10.5" wide wheel I was sort of convinced they would fit out back somehow. The car can take a 315 no problem, but not necessarily with the offset I ordered.

So, a set of 255 for the front and 315 for the rear from Amazon (free prime shipping lol) and I'm in the game. They arrive Wednesday. I'll get them mounted and report back soon.

Comment

315's out back? Oh lawdy! He done did it!

Can't wait to see tires on the wheels, wheels on the car.

Comment

The tires came. I've measured them and it's going to be a tight fit out back. We'll see...

I've spent the last week or two selling my old wheels and tires since I won't be needing them anymore. I wasn't even really looking to sell them right now, but I got a lot of interest.
                    Oh, while I was messing with that, I also swapped my front hats for more camber (an E36 trick), realized it was more camber than I wanted and swapped them back. I also raised the rear a little bit by doubling up on spring pads (another BMW trick) in preparation for the 315s.

I won't be able to do anything about getting the tires mounted for at least a week, so look for updates next weekend at the soonest.

Comment

News yet? In 21 more days, it will be a year since you started this thread. Holy shit, that's a long ass time for some wheels. I would have broken down and bought some enkei compes and butchered the crap out of them to make a janky half safe 3 piece wannabe wheel; I am not nearly as patient as you are.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
                      @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

No update yet, sorry. Just got back from a week vacation in MA. The plan is to get the tires mounted this Saturday, but the wife is pushing hard to find a new car (Mazdaspeed 3 or similar) so that took up our time yesterday and may steal the weekend away from me.

We'll see. I will try my best to get them mounted Saturday. I also need to coordinate with the tire place so their best installer is on hand that day.

Comment

The tires went on the wheels two days ago as planned. I was sweating bullets while that happened but stayed occupied running trips back and forth (needed to bring wheels and tires in two trips, then another trip to bring the wheel boxes back, then another trip to bring the wheel/tire combos back) which helps prevent me from hovering over the tire guys and generally making everyone nervous at the tire shop.

The mounting went just fine and I tipped the tire guy.

Normally a nice set of tires on the wheels make them look even better, but this time the tires didn't seem to add to the look which really surprised me. The wheels look worse with tires on them, and maybe even a little small. I'm not worried though, as I'm sure they will look great once they are on the car. The tire sizes are perfect for the wheels though, with that square sidewall shoulder I love and absolutely zero stretch.

I have a bit of rice to apply before I can mount them... But the real hold-up is the bottle of CarPro DLUX wheel (and plastic) sealant that I ordered (highly recommended by most good detailers) which isn't scheduled to arrive until Wednesday. I will go a loooooong time between washing the car or the wheels, so the more prep I can do the better.

If all goes well, I'll likely have them on the car by the end of the week, and some real pictures to post this weekend.

Last edited by BenFenner; 05-19-2015, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Wheel sealant came yesterday. I guess I better get my ass in gear. No more excuses.

Comment

Be sure to give us a review on the aluminum sealant you're using. I'm researching everything I can for an upcoming project where completely raw aluminum will not be acceptable, but neither will clear coat or clear powder. Been wracking my brain trying to come up with something good, aside from just going and buying like 50 gallons of sulfuric acid and anodizing.

Comment

Really looking forward to seeing these beauts bolted on to a car. Can't wait

Comment

Working...
                                X