Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My kingdom for Panasport C8-17! (G7-C8S)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BenFenner View Post

Pretty close to me.

I wonder if you could machine Konig Rewinds?

Comment

Originally posted by Rally View Post
      Mastermind, a sponsor and site supporter here, offers this option and they bring in shipments fairly regularly because they are a large import company that deals directly through Japan.

Mastermindna.com
      Thanks for the tip. I will look into it.

You simply send them a link to the auction that you are interested in and they handle everything else from bidding, shipping within japan, and shipping here to the US.
      That would be helpful if I could find a set of 17" for sale ANYWHERE in the world.

Be sure that you are using パナスポーツ when searching the auction sites.
      More good tips, thanks.

Grab some 16s and step them up to 17s. Step lips are a more classic look and would work well with panasport centers.
      Not gunna work for me. The brake clearance is tight with 17" as it is. I'd be in real trouble stepping them up. I'm also worried the 16" sets are already stepped up from 15" as delivered from Panasport.
      I agree the stepped look is good usually and if you look at the image in the first post even the 17" has a half-step already.
      Last edited by BenFenner; 06-10-2014, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlyons617 View Post
        No offense, but the only thing those two wheels have in common, is that they both have 8 spokes. Watanabe wheels really are a completely different design, and not a look I'm considering at this time. Yes, I am being that picky.

Originally posted by Jlyons617 View Post
        I wonder if you could machine Konig Rewinds?
        Konig Rewinds are a Watanabe RS knock-off. Again, not the look I'm going for. If this were a different vehicle I'd consider them, but not for this car.
        Last edited by BenFenner; 06-10-2014, 07:07 PM.

Comment

You could try Jesse Streeter. Or 180Roman on here. He lives in Aus and he finds all sorts of wheels on Yahoo Japan.

Comment

Importmonster.com.au, it's where I buy most of my wheels, again they ship to Aus but may help with shipping to USA.

Comment

Msg me dude if you are 100% serious about ordering a brand new set.

I work for a Japanese wheels and parts importer, so can have our Japan guy approach them directly.
              Drinking Enthusiast with a Car Problem

Comment

That would be helpful if I could find a set of 17" for sale ANYWHERE in the world.
                This is true and I wish you the best of luck. Back when I had my bagged MINI, I spent months and months watching for a set of 17s to pop up because I thought it'd be the perfect wheel for my needs. I never did find a set, sadly.

I'll let you know if I see anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 180roman View Post
                  Msg me dude if you are 100% serious about ordering a brand new set.

I work for a Japanese wheels and parts importer, so can have our Japan guy approach them directly.
                  I am 100% serious.

I have been in contact with Apt. 9 Wheels / Mastermind just recently and they seem optimistic. If this ends up falling through, you will be my next contact for sure. Thank you for your offer. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

This is true and I wish you the best of luck. Back when I had my bagged MINI, I spent months and months watching for a set of 17s to pop up because I thought it'd be the perfect wheel for my needs. I never did find a set, sadly.

I'll let you know if I see anything.
                    Did you know they sell a 1-piece 17" wheel in MINI and Z3 fitment in Japan?
                    The Z3 fitment is for non-Ms though, so a no go for me. They are popular though, and pop up for sale often. If only...

Comment

If you've been following along with my edits in post #10 you'll know I'm close to finalizing a deal and getting a new set shipped from Japan through Apt 9 Wheels.

I'm not counting my chickens yet, but I'm quite hopeful.

Comment

I've been speaking with Apt. 9 Wheels / Mastermind on Facebook and they seem encouraging. They want to talk over the phone about the details.
                        We've spoken on the phone now and they seem very helpful and enthusiastic about the idea. They claim they don't have to go through the US distributor and can order from Panasport directly in Japan and ship the wheels over themselves. They are looking into the possibility of getting the wheels new and to my desired specs. I am expecting an e-mail back from them in a few days.

Latest word from Rajeet Dalal this week is that they've contact Panasport of Japan and with my desired specs were given multiple options to choose from. I'd given them windows of allowable offsets for the front and rear of +35-40mm offset for the front and +10-20mm offset for the rear. Using the "CC" wheel senter with the most brake clearance up front, I have the option of +33 and +39 offset. I chose +39 to make sure I can add a spacer to clear the brakes if I need to. For the rear it sounds like they spec'd the "AA" (standard) wheel center which I've been fighting to try to get for the rears and is one of the main reasons the orgiginal negotiations took so long. They have the options of +10, +13, +17, and +20 for the rear. I chose the +10 option. if I want to go more aggressive I can later. Having the wheel centers is the most important to me at this point. I'm waiting on an e-mail from Rajeet with all of the specs and proposed options. They are also waiting to hear from Panasport for an ETA before they take payment. I might finally be getting these things!

I got a quote from Rajeet Dalal and all looks good. They have taken my credit card info and the order is going in. I'm being told to expect 13-16 weeks for shipment. Now, the waiting game.

I will update this as more happens.
                        It's been 17 weeks now since I placed my order, and I'm hoping to hear good things soon. If Apt. 9 Wheels will reply to my latest e-mail...

Comment

Rajeet from Mastermind/Apt. 9 Wheels called me back and gave me an update on my order. I'm told the wheels were produced and shipped to his intermediary in Japan. Upon arrival, two of the wheels were damaged in shipping. They are taking care of the return process and new wheels will be expedited and shipped. I'm to expect around a 3-week delay.

Back to the waiting game...

Comment

The 3 weeks are up, so I called to see the status. I spoke with Rajeet's business partner.
                            The wheels are still being made, and progress is expected mid-to-late December.
                            I thought 3 weeks sounded overly optomistic so I wasn't expecting real progress.

I'll see how things are in around a month.
                            Last edited by BenFenner; 12-09-2014, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Rajeet called me just now to say they are expecting the wheels to arrive to their Japaneses-side holding facility in about a week. Previously I'd asked about pictures of the damaged boxes (which none were taken) so Rajeet said this time if they had time they'd send me some pictures of the new boxes/wheels when they arrive in Japan.

Once the wheels arrive, they can figure out when their next shipment can carry them over to the US (California). So I should hear more news next week.

I've been looking for these wheels for 3 years now, and this order has been in for almost 6 months. It is nice to get good news.
                              Last edited by BenFenner; 12-09-2014, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Rajeet sent me an e-mail the day before Christmas letting me know the wheels have arrived at their Japanese subsidiary. They will let me know soon when I can expect them to ship to the US.
                                He sent a couple pictures of the fronts! The centers look unpainted, but I'm sure that's just the lighting.

Last edited by BenFenner; 04-21-2015, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X