Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to remove rust/tarnish from wheel bolts?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to remove rust/tarnish from wheel bolts?

Whats the best way to get into the little areas to remove tarnish, grime, and rust from inside small wheel bolts?

Two things:

1. You should probably learn how to use google. You can literally copy/paste the first post and get hella answers. Dont be lazy man.

2. There are a number of household items you can use (with a toothbrush or wire brush) to remove rust: Baking soda and water, Lime, a potato and some dish soap, and white vinegar. Pick your poison.

But seriously, dont waste space on the forum by asking questions that are either common sense or EASILY found on google.
    Last edited by High_5er; 03-26-2014, 02:56 PM.
    Simple.

Comment

OR, I would rather hear if from people in a forum that specializes in wheels and suspension because they would be a better source than just some google thread...

Thanks for the help and education on not wasting forum space thread nazi

Comment

I think you can actually leave them in a bowl of coke (like the drink) and it's harmful enough to get rid of most of the crap.

Other ways like wire wheels etc work well too.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGMerle View Post
          OR, I would rather hear if from people in a forum that specializes in wheels and suspension because they would be a better source than just some google thread...

Thanks for the help and education on not wasting forum space thread nazi
          No problem champ! Didn't realize you need a wheel and suspension expert to remove some rust

Maybe next time you'll google that shit!
          You'd be surprised at how much you could actually get done using google as a resource.
          You just gotta have enough common sense to weed out the bullshit.
          Simple.

Comment

When my gold hardware got rusty i removed the hardware, let it soak in coke and vinegar, then used a toothbrush to knock the remaining rust off. came out great

Comment

Soak it in coke and vinegar, and if there's still rust, hand polish them with wd40 and steel wool or a toothbrush
              Z32's rule! So do (surprisingly) non-leaking T-Tops

Comment

If you don't re seal them they are just going to rust again, a hell of a lot quicker. If I were you I'd send them off to get powder coated or chromed...if you want to do it the right way.

Comment

don't let internet searches kill conversation...

so, yes, I used vinegar too. it'll help. but if your wheels are still assembled it'll be a bit more work. you might try fine steel wool. but as has been said if you remove the last bit of clear coat, they will rust faster.

the best way is get new bolts and while your at it, get stainless ! you can find new bolts at Tunershop and ebay too.

if they are fake splits, it's not so important where or what kind of bolts you get. you can also try McMaster Carr.

either way it's going to be a bunch of tedious work. good luck !

Comment

Wire Wheel/

insta:yungwymo

Comment

Originally posted by High_5er View Post
                      No problem champ! Didn't realize you need a wheel and suspension expert to remove some rust

You'd be surprised at how much you could actually get done using google as a resource.
                      Your panties. You should unbunch them.

On topic, I soak in mineral spirits. Buy one can and re-use as needed. Tougher to remove stuff gets the wire wheel though.

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

Originally posted by High_5er View Post

I don't know what the fuss is about.That's actually a good question. I mean, these forums serve a purpose to inform. Maybe someday someone will Google this thread but for now we should add to it.

I myself have tried different methods and have found that some work better than others. I like using Meguires Chrome cleaner for dirty bolts.
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/imag...es/cruisin.gif

Comment

If we are talking loose bolts, white vinegar bath or citric acid for 24 hours. Works for me. Chrome (bolts or lips) wipe with #0000 steal wool and WD-40.

Then a wire wheel on a bench grinder to knock out any old stubborn thread sealant that remains.

I agree that buying SS bolts is the best solution in the long run. Any spec of rust starts to make your wheels look like ass quickly. And the bolts heads are near impossible to clean on the wheels.

look forward to wheel maintenance every few years no matter what you do. Especially on a driver.

Comment

I used soaked mine in rost-off , steel wool , then clear powder coated them. 2 years now look new

Comment

hope u managed to remove the stain
                              bmw service

Comment

Working...
                              X