Aussie wheel tech/discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by foffa View Post
    Just emailed like 10 different places about it in Sydney, to see if they could beat that price.

Also been thinking about black chrome. Could be a better finish cus I'm not sure copper plating is really gonna go with my silver car haha.
    copper and silver would look good, thats not a bad price for electroplating, what place quoted that?
    sigpic daily driven sti IG: skytup

Comment

• Yeah I dunno, if I got ahead and get the plated, I'll be looking at like 3.5K being spend on wheels. Hard to justify haha. Cus I still need lips and barrels made up.

Electroplating technology quoted that, but he said $200 minimum! Would be more like 3-350 a wheel.

And half the people I emailed have said they won't plate aluminium, even though it can be done..
      Originally posted by TRaNz
      We ride homos together, we die homos together. Homos 4 Lyfe. <3

Comment

• haha minimum, does make it hard to justify, im think of painting the ROH's just to save some $$, than will do somthing special for the RS's
        cheapest price for full set of barrels stepped 16-18 is $1700 plus shipping from US, but still waiting on whitehorse to get back to me, would prefer local
        sigpic daily driven sti IG: skytup

Comment

• Figured I'd throw up some progress pictures of my current wheel build.

Original specs of my set of RS034's.
          15x6.5j +17 5x114.3

Two down, two more to go.

I absolutely **** splitting wheels. Especially when they've never been split before and the original bolts are all shitty.
          IG: @sebastienaudeon
          1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
          there there.
          keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

• Rattle gun makes splitting easy. It's reassembling I **** as I only do that by hand and it's painful and tedious.

I've got my original OZ bolts soaking in vinegar as we speak. After the nightmare exercise soaking/scrubbing/cleaning/polishing my last lot of original bolts I bought a mini tumbler. I'll post results after the weekend, hoping it works like a treat!

Comment

• Keen to hear about the mini tumbler. Been considering buying one.

Comment

• You guys might be interested in this rust removal technique for nuts and bolts from a build I posted not long ago. Basically it's citric acid and water, or you can use vinegar instead of water. Then wash/rinse with bi-carb soda and water to neutralise the acid.

(scroll down till you see the big bag of citric acid)

before:

after:

Comment

• Originally posted by Beware View Post
                  Rattle gun makes splitting easy. It's reassembling I **** as I only do that by hand and it's painful and tedious.
                  I might go out tonight and grab a rattle gun then. Or tomorrow, make splitting them a bit easier.

I enjoy putting them back together. As much as it is a tedious task, it's nice knowing that when they're back together they're going to look schmick.
                  IG: @sebastienaudeon
                  1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                  there there.
                  keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

• True, the putting together is when they start to look like a useable item and you can see how nice they're going to be. I guess I just meant the bolting together part.....disassembling is far worse if done by hand, but with a rattle gun it's pretty well effort free.

Anth, plain vinegar works pretty well for the surface rust on bolts, along with getting rid of some silicone, brake dust and other crap. It's the rinsing and scrubbing with a toothbrush to loosen any stubborn crap, followed by the polishing to get rid of any cloudiness that sucks. The tumbler should do those last 2 steps(which are the annoying part) with zero effort and hopefully a better result.

Comment

• What's a tumbler worth?

Comment

• Also look up ultrasonic cleaners as an alternative to tumblers. Dad swear by his for his bullet casings

Comment

• The one I bought was through a firearms place which they advertise as being for casings. It was $49.95 down from $69.95, plus about $15 for tumbling media and $15 for postage.

Comment

• Assembly made easy! Just ran into this on my Facebook news feed [Italian Muscle Cars]

My Build Thread - Alfa 75 3lt

Comment

• the mini tumblers are freakin amazing, got one for ~$70, add about 40 for media and polishing compound and you're set to do a number of sets of wheels worth of bolts

Comment

• Seb you need a rattle gun!!

I split my 4 LM's in like 15 minutes. Given theyve only got 20 bolts each but its the best!

Comment

Working...
                                X