Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for upsidedown welding, high wire speed is what always works for me, and moving very quickly. 1 higher power setting than normal along with a higher wire speed. Practice on a bench with the metal overhanging so you can put the torch underneath.
    Ive done a few cars where the inside areches and suspension mounts need doing and this is the technique that has always worked. I tried lower feed speeds and the gun would always burn the wire into the tip.
    Try the mig welding formum!

Comment

Half cage based closely off of the group A cars going into my e30.

Comment

Comment

I've always wondered when welding with 6010 my welds are pretty good but is there any possible way to cut down on all the splatter?

Comment

Okay TIG welding experts, how on earth do you weld cast aluminum? I can do it but it looks like complete butt and I have to keep grinding it down and whatnot. I've heard people bake the cast part? Enlighten me. Tungsten, heat, gas mixture, filler, technique, etc. Thanks!

Instagram: surpriseitsmicah

Builds:

Comment

Originally posted by M.Doban View Post
              Okay TIG welding experts, how on earth do you weld cast aluminum? I can do it but it looks like complete butt and I have to keep grinding it down and whatnot. I've heard people bake the cast part? Enlighten me. Tungsten, heat, gas mixture, filler, technique, etc. Thanks!
              I think a lot of people pre heat that type of aluminum but i could be wrong?
              E28 POS BUILD THREAD

Comment

When welding on body panels (rust repair\panel replacement) i just use the tack-tack-tack method, since doing continuous welds distort the panels from heat, how do you guys do it? I`m allright with welding, but i **** straightening out distorted bodypanels, hehe..

Comment

tack, wipe with wet rag, tack different section, repeat? that what my boss told me works best to avoid distorting stuff
                  BMW E23 build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Maxx View Post
                    When welding on body panels (rust repairpanel replacement) i just use the tack-tack-tack method, since doing continuous welds distort the panels from heat, how do you guys do it? I`m allright with welding, but i **** straightening out distorted bodypanels, hehe..
                    Do a few spaced out tacks and let it cool, if at any time the metal is too hot to hold your hand on then it's too hot and needs to cool!

Comment

So just fully welding with tacking here and there is strong enough? I havent had any welds break, so i assumed it was, mostly just curious how others are doing it Only panels i have distorted was when i tried following the teacher at school`s recipe for welding body panels :P Though, i have a car that he once "repaired" in my possession now, and i can see the man didnt bother straightening distorted panels, filler all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by M.Doban View Post
                        Pre heat the part. Fella's at work have a welding oven [just a king size oven really]. Pretty much everything cast gets 'cooked' to particular temps before welding. Sometimes it's 100 degrees cel, sometimes at high as 400c.
                        I know my clutch slave cylinder mount was cast alu and he had to pre heat it for an hour. Not sure what temp though. I can see if we have a chart.

I know we have a procedure book for all types of metal. Gives all info like how to prep, aprox settings etc etc. It's pretty much the knowledge of all the welders we have had work here since the about 1900? I'm just a machinist but I need to get myself a copy just incase...
                        My Build Thread - Alfa 75 3lt

Comment

I reenforced my X Brace on my E36, don't mind the shape of the pieces lol i was using scrap i had around.

Hobart Mig welder
                          Argon gas and regular .035 steel wire

I probably should have cleaned it all up more but it turned out good and has held up so far.
                          IG: Dimitriantoniou
                          1997 bmw 328i vert: sold:http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=55235
                          1997 bmw 328is: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69857

Comment

I love the Hobart 140!
                            Yeah, just looks like the metal needed a good cleaning! lol

Comment

Custom exhaust of the R32 .

Comment

this thread has turned into a show off instead of actual questions lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X