No announcement yet.

Just another 1303s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been a bit quiet again on here, but have been working on Gretl each night and today when I can anyway.

I got a wire wheel to get everything back to bare metal where there were rust holes. I cleaned up all the surrounding areas too to make sure there was no other rust around etc. Then got everything in weldable galv.

IMG_0166 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0176 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0198 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

I found this on the right hand side as well, two small holes.

IMG_0168 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

The left C pillar is a bit worse for wear too.

IMG_0169 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0175 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0171 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

I got the majority of the death foam out, but will be able to get the rest out once I get replacement panels for the C pillars and the current ones cut out.

IMG_0177 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0178 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

So, it looks like this rear section has had a previous fix. I found an immense amount of bog around this weld. But it is all back to bare metal and ready to have the weld ground down properly instead of just bogged over.

IMG_0180 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Speaking of bog, I found a lot in the front drivers side quarter as well. First up I finally removed the fuel tank and took a look in the air box. A fair bit of rust but easy enough to fix.

IMG_0183 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0184 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Anyway, back to the front drivers side quarter. All the bare metal area was bogged.

IMG_0185 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

The panel was pretty wavy, but I hammered it out a bit and got it a bit better. I also found this little bit of pitting in the same area too.

IMG_0189 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Anyway, back to the rear. The rust in the rear right hand side pillar, thanks to the death foam, also spread inside the vehicle too. Cleaned it up a bit, no surrounding rust thankfully.

IMG_0174 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

I went inside and cleaned up the luggage area. Got rid of all the seam sealer.

IMG_0182 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

On the other side though, I found after I cleaned up the seam sealer that some of the panels had actually come away from where they were spot welded. Easy enough to fix up.

IMG_0172 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Oh, I also found these holes in the heater channel on the drivers side too. Just going to replace the majority of the heater channel as it'll mean the whole thing is new metal.

IMG_0193 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

This also needs to be replaced. Gutters are great, except in some bits, and those bits are pretty damn bad.

IMG_0194 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

I'll leave you with a shot of each side. As you can see, the galv is used around the rust areas, the rest is still in bare metal unfortunately.

IMG_0199 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0200 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

So now I just need to get replacement panels and a TIG welder. Then I can start on the rust repair. Until then, I shall leave Gretl in the garage.
    IG: @sebastienaudeon
    1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
    *pats Sebs head*
    there there.
    keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

Originally posted by SebastienPeek View Post
      I definitely didn't, how long ago? That's ducking cool though.
      Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
      Originally posted by Stupid Kid
      You're the worst everything everywhere

Comment

Ah, I thought you meant actual Zelda, not the same model

Nonetheless, very cool bug!
        1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
        there there.

Comment

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you. My first car, and current DD, was/is a 74 Super Beetle. Thankfully not in quite as bad a shape as yours. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Comment

Sure do have a lot of work cut out, but once I get cutting it should become a lot easier.

Think the thought of cutting is a daunting task. But once I start getting replacement panels and what not, it'll become a lot easier to cut as I know I will be replacing it soon.

Hopefully I can get the panels soon. Until then, might work on the Subaru for a bit.
            1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
            there there.

Comment

Ah, I thought you meant actual Zelda, not the same model

Nonetheless, very cool bug!
              My bad man, I thought it was Zelda...
              Originally posted by Stupid Kid
              You're the worst everything everywhere

Comment

All good man, Zelda was very different but the same if you know what I mean.

Still waiting to hear back about replacement panels unfortunately. Hopefully can find something soon. Need to sort out a few cosmetics and then once the rust is all fixed, comes the modifying to what I want.

Definitely a long way ahead.
                1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                there there.

Comment

If you are going to remove the body off the pan, and fix all the rust etc, why not get the body sand blasted or acid dipped? Will show you EVERYTHING that needs to be fixed, and give you a proper solid base to work with. If you go the sand blasting route, pick a reputable blaster, I have a few connections through my cars and work too if you need, if too much time is spent on the wrong part of the panels, you will stretch and warp the panel.

I have some parts that might suit this :P
                  www.brassmunkymedia.com.au

Oversteer Scares The Passengers, Understeer Scares The Driver

Comment

Wow, Gretl is one cancerous fat bitch. Looks like you're on the right track though! In for more!
                    1973 Super Beetle-- Blue Zombie, 1988 635csi, 1962 Volksrod-- Little Bug

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor View Post
                      If you are going to remove the body off the pan, and fix all the rust etc, why not get the body sand blasted or acid dipped? Will show you EVERYTHING that needs to be fixed, and give you a proper solid base to work with. If you go the sand blasting route, pick a reputable blaster, I have a few connections through my cars and work too if you need, if too much time is spent on the wrong part of the panels, you will stretch and warp the panel.

I have some parts that might suit this :P
                      Not going the sandblast route, taking it back to bare metal slowly and only focusing on the areas that I need too. I would much prefer to spend the time getting to know Gretl then having someone else just do it.

That and a lot of people have recommended not getting it sand blasted, but getting it bead blasted is a more appropriate thing to do. Either way, not going down that road, not yet anyway.

Originally posted by IamParadox View Post
                      Wow, Gretl is one cancerous fat bitch. Looks like you're on the right track though! In for more!
                      She sure is. Thanks though, I'm hopefully receiving replacement panels for the rear end in the next week or so, that should mean I can get cutting and welding very soon indeed.
                      1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                      there there.

Comment

Not going the sandblast route, taking it back to bare metal slowly and only focusing on the areas that I need too. I would much prefer to spend the time getting to know Gretl then having someone else just do it.

That and a lot of people have recommended not getting it sand blasted, but getting it bead blasted is a more appropriate thing to do. Either way, not going down that road, not yet anyway.
                        Sand blasted, Bead Blasted... either way, you will learn more about the car and its history through that than just working on small patches. Acid Dipping would be the best way to do it, but the blasting is an easier option. Stripping it naked, and having it etch primed will give you a clear view of everything, any panel damage etc, and a really good slate to fix the rust...

What were people reason's for not going sandblasting, I know the bead blasting is gentler, but what else? I sandblast stuff for a living, always interested to hear people's opinions on that stuff...
                        www.brassmunkymedia.com.au

Oversteer Scares The Passengers, Understeer Scares The Driver

Comment

Had a very productive night on Gretl tonight.

But before I begin, I'll get you up to speed with what I have done over the last few days since updating.

I got to draw on Gretl. Marking out and measuring where I need to cut for the replacement panels (if I can get replacement panels).

IMG_0205 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0206 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Found another rust hole, LHS rear arch. Moar rust.

IMG_0211 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Goes all the way through. Not worried about this one bit as I am tubbing the rear anyway.

IMG_0212 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

The luggage tray is quite clean now after spending last night cleaning it up with the girlfriend.

IMG_0217 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Love it when she comes out and helps, really make me happy that we can share working on Gretl together. Albeit she hates me spending time on here updating.

Anyway, back to what I got up to tonight. I went around the whole pan and unbolted the shell from the pan completely. This included strut tops, steering column out, steering rack unbolted, and the rear towers unbolted.

IMG_0202 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0203 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0207 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0208 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0209 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Found some more rust, this time in the air box. Common area for 1303's to rust. Will replace with my own incarnation of the air box, something that won't rust any time soon.

IMG_0219 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

So this is how I left her tonight.

IMG_0215 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Like I said, everything is unbolted and the shell is ready to be lifted off. The front is up on axle stands and there is also an axle stand under the frame head to stop it from stress fracturing.

Now I just need to figure out when I can take the shell off of the pan. Might need to go and buy some more shelves tomorrow night after finishing off my Christmas shopping and take a few things to Cash Converters for some extra monies.
                          1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                          there there.

Comment

So, I spent the majority of yesterday moving stuff around in the garage for the S|W Australia boys visit. This also meant getting more space to work on Gretl.

IMG_0224 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

I moved her more over to the left, sorted out where the welder is going to stay, and now I just need to get a couple more shelves and sell off the interior.
                            1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                            there there.

Comment

So with the help of Sam and another mate I was able to get the shell off of the pan finally.

IMG_0260 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0264 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Such a massive milestone in any bug build is the separation of shell from pan. I think so anyway. It took a bit of effort to get the steering box out, but with a lot of persuasion and swearing, we finally got it off.

I found some more rust around the edges of the pan, but that is all to be removed shortly and replaced with new pan halves.

IMG_0266 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0267 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0268 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0269 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Oh, and if you don't know, I bought an engine for Gretl. Just have to pick it up from the depot when it arrives.
                              1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                              there there.

Comment

nice progress dude

Comment

Working...
                                X