Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just another 1303s

Default Just another 1303s

It was only a matter of time before I got another late bug. There is something about that curved windscreen that just gets me excited.

If you follow me on Instagram you would have seen the activity in the lead up of purchasing a new 1303s. Today, I took delivery of said vehicle. She is engineless, gearboxless and is in dire need of some TLC.

Her name is Gretl. She is a 1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle. Commonly known as a 1303s, a Super Beetle or a Volkswagen L. The other, most common name for them, is a fat chick.

I present, Gretl.

IMG_0089 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

A quick run down of what the damage was when I grabbed some photos while she was still out on the road.

IMG_0091 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0094 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0095 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0096 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

After what wasn't very long at all, she was pushed into the garage and the stripping started straight away. In about six hours she went from being complete to the following.

IMG_0099 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

I then went around the car and looking at all the problem spots that were discovered on the road. The C pillars are the worst. This is because of the dreaded foam of death that Volkswagen decided was a good idea for sound deadening. What they didn't realise was that it just held moisture in a very structural part of the vehicle.

IMG_0101 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0102 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0100 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

They're only small holes thankfully and easily fixed. Got digging at where the bog was out on the road, once again, just needs a quick clean up, some welding and then some body work. Not difficult at all.

IMG_0103 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Then came the fun part. Taking all the windows out. There was a huge nest of ants in the rear window seal. Guess that is what happens when it is out in a garden for a while. Even growing moss in some places!

IMG_0106 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Front window came out a lot easier then expected. Actually, all the windows came out quite easily.

IMG_0105 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Here's the pile of parts that have taken up the space where the second pair of shelves will be built. Just need to wait till next pay day before I can get them and set them up.

IMG_0108 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

And this is where I left her before calling it a night.

IMG_0107 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

It has begun. Finally getting my hands dirty with another fat chick.
    IG: @sebastienaudeon
    1974 Porsche 911S

Quote Originally Posted by TRaNz View Post
    *pats Sebs head*
    there there.
    keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

I am so keen for this, you go glen coco

http://smeeezus.tumblr.com/

Instragram @Smeeeb

Sub'd 😎
    - = [ M . I . A | c r e w ] = -

That is some pretty gnarly rust. Keen to see what you do with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Kid View Post
    You're the worst everything everywhere

great start dude i love seeing people dive right in like this:

that rear window leaning against the fender on the floor makes me nervous

awsome start man...luv thissss

Quote Originally Posted by floatingdino View Post
    That is some pretty gnarly rust. Keen to see what you do with her.
    Rust is definitely not an issue

Quote Originally Posted by TrailerTrash View Post
    great start dude i love seeing people dive right in like this:

that rear window leaning against the fender on the floor makes me nervous
    No time like the present to start!
    The rear window glass has been stacked against the wall until I get the next two shelves built and what not.
    1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
    there there.

Alright, spent a little bit more time on Gretl today. Got the front seats out and started cleaning out the interior.

IMG_0109 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Got the front fenders off and checked out the front strut setup.

IMG_0110 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Being a 1974 model it is a two bolt strut setup which makes it perfect to make some custom coilovers for the front.

IMG_0111 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0112 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Went around and removed all the seals from the car. Under the front bonnet is usually the worst. I then removed what seats the seal around the bonnet bit and found a bit of surface rust. Nothing I can't deal with.

IMG_0113 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0114 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0115 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

There is some rust around the front valance too. Luckily I already have a brand new front valance that I was going to use on Zelda. A few spot welds drilled out and she should be good to be replaced.

IMG_0117 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Now the biggest difference between a 1303 and a normal bug is the curved windscreen and the strut front end setup. It's what makes them more aerodynamic and unique in my eyes. The one thing that most people **** though, is the dreaded padded dash.

IMG_0116 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

I finally was able to get the drivers side door off. It was bugging me so much in regards to getting it off as the bottom bolts that hold it in were so tight. It came to me in the shower to use a breaker bar.

Anyway, I cleaned up under the bonnet as well and removed all the pieces of interior that cover up the fuel tank and spare wheel. It all went in the bin, it's quite tidy under there but I will take a better look once the fuel tank is out and the spare wheel is also removed.

IMG_0118 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

I'm quite happy with the overall shape of Gretl. The roof is in perfect condition and there is no rust in the A pillars anywhere. There is a tiny amount in the B pillars as well as the C pillars, but it is all workable.

IMG_0119 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Hopefully tomorrow night I will get the rest of the interior out.
    1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
    there there.

First off, in the words of Tranz, getout spam.

Anyway. Had another awesome night spent on Gretl after a very stressful day at work.

I finally got the passenger front fender and running board off. I was putting it off for some reason. But once I got cracking into Gretl tonight, I didn't want to stop.

IMG_0138 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Unfortunately, if you look closely, you can see that where the bolts that hold the front fender to the body, the thread bit that is usually tacked to the body have fallen off. There was also a rust hole just right of the A pillar in the passenger wheel well.

IMG_0139 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

I figured there was no reason to beat around the bush. It was time to rip up the interior carpet and floor mats and see what the damage to the pan was. I was definitely not disappointed.

IMG_0136 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0124 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0125 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

I will be replacing both pan halves anyway so that is not a problem. I took a quick look at the tunnel and all seems to be very solid there. Thankfully!

IMG_0135 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

I **** removing pedal assemblies. But in the photo you can see that the panel behind the pedal assembly has no rust issues.

Then came the fun task of removing the padded dash. I'd never actually removed one myself before, so after removing the speedo, a bit of wiring being disconnected, the bonnet lever cable disconnected and the fan knobs removed, she was good to be lifted out.

IMG_0131 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0126 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Before I forgot that I had taken the bonnet lever cable out I quickly removed the front bonnet so as to prevent it from getting jammed closed.

IMG_0137 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

I got a bit side tracked and removed the top seal thingy.

IMG_0143 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0144 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Then I was on a bit of a rust hunting mood. I went around the car and anywhere that looked like it had rust, I started digging. Much to my dismay I found a lot of rust in the door jams. And by a lot, I mean a lot.

IMG_0128 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0130 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0129 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

At this point I fell a little sick in my stomach. Then I realised that this is why I bought Gretl. To build her. To fix her. To bring her back to life. I have already planned a way to get to the rust and make sure it is completely fixed. It means cutting a bit of the roof skin away and then cutting out the cancerous spots. Fixing up the cancer and then re-welding the roof skin back in. Definitely not for the faint hearted.

I got the whole front interior out at the moment bar the defrosting fan mechanism, wiring loom and pedal assembly.

IMG_0120 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Now off to sleep to get some decent sleep before getting back into it after work tomorrow.
    1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
    there there.

So, over the past two nights I have been working a little bit on Gretl.

I purchased a power file and took to cleaning up all the rust areas, just getting it all back to bare metal to inspect it a bit more. I mainly focused on the rear rust in the C pillars and the front bonnet seal area.

The front bonnet seal area has a bit of pitting and a few holes, nothing too bad thankfully.

IMG_0159 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0160 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0161 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

The rear, well, I'll let the pictures do the talking.

IMG_0156 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0157 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

I then got busy with some paint stripper around the other side as I wanted to see how far the cancer had spread. I was definitely not disappointed once again.

IMG_0149 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0153 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

I should definitely not be able to do this.

IMG_0165 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

So, there is a lot of rust due to the infamous foam of death that Volkswagen, once again, stupidly put there for sound deadening. Idiots.

Anyway, Roman chimed in on an Instagram photo of mine and told me to get a wire wheel. So gonna get one tomorrow night, along with some more power file bands.
    1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
    there there.

Did you see Zelda go up on the S|W Facebook?

I purchased a power file and took to cleaning up all the rust areas

Good to see the project has begun. Lots of dedication right there tackling that sort of rust. I've got a Mk1 with that kind of rust (not as bad in the roof however). I might have missed you saying this - are you going to have a go at the welding yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by floatingdino View Post
    Did you see Zelda go up on the S|W Facebook?
    I definitely didn't, how long ago? That's ducking cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by dartology View Post
    Good to see the project has begun. Lots of dedication right there tackling that sort of rust. I've got a Mk1 with that kind of rust (not as bad in the roof however). I might have missed you saying this - are you going to have a go at the welding yourself?
    Lots of dedication. I'm not giving up on Gretl. I figure I gave up on Zelda too quickly, the least I can do is fix Gretl in memory of her.

And yes, will be tackling the welding myself

Quote Originally Posted by P78 View Post
    yeay, i'm glad zelda gets a replacement
    Not a replacement, Zelda can never be replaced. Don't think a first car could ever be replaced
    1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
    there there.

Been a bit quiet again on here, but have been working on Gretl each night and today when I can anyway.

I got a wire wheel to get everything back to bare metal where there were rust holes. I cleaned up all the surrounding areas too to make sure there was no other rust around etc. Then got everything in weldable galv.

IMG_0166 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0176 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0198 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

I found this on the right hand side as well, two small holes.

IMG_0168 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

The left C pillar is a bit worse for wear too.

IMG_0169 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0175 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0171 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

I got the majority of the death foam out, but will be able to get the rest out once I get replacement panels for the C pillars and the current ones cut out.

IMG_0177 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0178 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

So, it looks like this rear section has had a previous fix. I found an immense amount of bog around this weld. But it is all back to bare metal and ready to have the weld ground down properly instead of just bogged over.

IMG_0180 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Speaking of bog, I found a lot in the front drivers side quarter as well. First up I finally removed the fuel tank and took a look in the air box. A fair bit of rust but easy enough to fix.

IMG_0183 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0184 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Anyway, back to the front drivers side quarter. All the bare metal area was bogged.

IMG_0185 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

The panel was pretty wavy, but I hammered it out a bit and got it a bit better. I also found this little bit of pitting in the same area too.

IMG_0189 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Anyway, back to the rear. The rust in the rear right hand side pillar, thanks to the death foam, also spread inside the vehicle too. Cleaned it up a bit, no surrounding rust thankfully.

IMG_0174 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

I went inside and cleaned up the luggage area. Got rid of all the seam sealer.

IMG_0182 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

On the other side though, I found after I cleaned up the seam sealer that some of the panels had actually come away from where they were spot welded. Easy enough to fix up.

IMG_0172 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

Oh, I also found these holes in the heater channel on the drivers side too. Just going to replace the majority of the heater channel as it'll mean the whole thing is new metal.

IMG_0193 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

This also needs to be replaced. Gutters are great, except in some bits, and those bits are pretty damn bad.

IMG_0194 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

I'll leave you with a shot of each side. As you can see, the galv is used around the rust areas, the rest is still in bare metal unfortunately.

IMG_0199 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

IMG_0200 by sebastienpeek, on Flickr

So now I just need to get replacement panels and a TIG welder. Then I can start on the rust repair. Until then, I shall leave Gretl in the garage.
    1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
    there there.

Quote Originally Posted by SebastienPeek View Post
    I definitely didn't, how long ago? That's ducking cool though.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Ah, I thought you meant actual Zelda, not the same model

Nonetheless, very cool bug!
    1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
    there there.

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you. My first car, and current DD, was/is a 74 Super Beetle. Thankfully not in quite as bad a shape as yours. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Sure do have a lot of work cut out, but once I get cutting it should become a lot easier.

Think the thought of cutting is a daunting task. But once I start getting replacement panels and what not, it'll become a lot easier to cut as I know I will be replacing it soon.

Hopefully I can get the panels soon. Until then, might work on the Subaru for a bit.
    1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
    there there.

Quote Originally Posted by SebastienPeek View Post
    Ah, I thought you meant actual Zelda, not the same model

Nonetheless, very cool bug!
    My bad man, I thought it was Zelda...

All good man, Zelda was very different but the same if you know what I mean.

Still waiting to hear back about replacement panels unfortunately. Hopefully can find something soon. Need to sort out a few cosmetics and then once the rust is all fixed, comes the modifying to what I want.

Definitely a long way ahead.
    1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
    there there.

If you are going to remove the body off the pan, and fix all the rust etc, why not get the body sand blasted or acid dipped? Will show you EVERYTHING that needs to be fixed, and give you a proper solid base to work with. If you go the sand blasting route, pick a reputable blaster, I have a few connections through my cars and work too if you need, if too much time is spent on the wrong part of the panels, you will stretch and warp the panel.

I have some parts that might suit this :P
    www.brassmunkymedia.com.au

Oversteer Scares The Passengers, Understeer Scares The Driver

Wow, Gretl is one cancerous fat bitch. Looks like you're on the right track though! In for more!
    1973 Super Beetle-- Blue Zombie, 1988 635csi, 1962 Volksrod-- Little Bug

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    If you are going to remove the body off the pan, and fix all the rust etc, why not get the body sand blasted or acid dipped? Will show you EVERYTHING that needs to be fixed, and give you a proper solid base to work with. If you go the sand blasting route, pick a reputable blaster, I have a few connections through my cars and work too if you need, if too much time is spent on the wrong part of the panels, you will stretch and warp the panel.

I have some parts that might suit this :P
    Not going the sandblast route, taking it back to bare metal slowly and only focusing on the areas that I need too. I would much prefer to spend the time getting to know Gretl then having someone else just do it.

That and a lot of people have recommended not getting it sand blasted, but getting it bead blasted is a more appropriate thing to do. Either way, not going down that road, not yet anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by IamParadox View Post
    Wow, Gretl is one cancerous fat bitch. Looks like you're on the right track though! In for more!
    She sure is. Thanks though, I'm hopefully receiving replacement panels for the rear end in the next week or so, that should mean I can get cutting and welding very soon indeed.
    1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
    there there.