Help With Vinyl Wrap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Vinyl Wrap.

Wasn't too sure where to put this thread, so I apologize in advance if it is in the wrong section.

So I have a 4 door 1987 e30 that I have been looking more and more into vinyl wrapping. I have a few questions that I couldn't find answers to, that hopefully some of you who have worked with, or have information about vinyl can help me out with. While browsing through the colors available for Hexis, 3M, Avery, and Oracal the only company to make a color that I was looking for is Oracal. I know it is a fairly reputable brand, and they offer air release channels in their vinyl, so application should go fairly smooth.

The few questions I have about the vinyl, are would any of you guys recommend the Oracal 970RA vinyl for a full vehicle wrap? I ordered samples from them, and upon receiving them I noticed the vinyl seems quite thick, and I noticed I had received 4mil samples. Is this the standard for vehicle wraps? Also if anyone has any experience with working with Oracal 970RA I would greatly appreciate some reviews.

Second big question I have is how much vinyl will I need? I have google searched an come up with such varying answers from people who have done it themselves, so I figured I should try and ask here. I have seen a few people who have wrapped e9x BMWs which are much bigger than the e30s, and they claim to use 25 yards of 60" wide vinyl. Does this seem like an accurate number? To me it seems a bit much, but like I said I have no experience with the stuff.

Also, besides straight from Oracal, and reputable dealers in the Eastern Pennsylvania region, or online that offer this product?

Thanks

*oh and just as a side note, I am not doing it in any flat color or anything that would ruin the look of the car. I am going with a metallic gloss to preserve the 27 year old paint on my car for a year or 2. Just thought I'd make that clear first*

anyone know anything about vinyl? Any information on Oracal vinyl or any suggestions as to the amount of 60" wide vinyl I will need would be greatly appreiated!

Comment

I know some of you know something about vinyl wraps. Help a brotha out

Comment

you're not likely to get much help in this section. I've noticed that. If you have a build thread, you're more likely to get information there than here

Originally posted by High_5er
        Hella irritating when the local Fuckbois smash around in a stock WRX with a fart can and a BOV. Then theyre all like, "Yeah bro I run boost" DUH NIGGA YOUR CAR CAME WITH IT.

Comment

Hope this helps

Series II DIY - DIY: How to Vinyl Wrap - Yourself. - ---:WARNING: This is a DIY in progress. It is not finished. Information may change over time, modifications, corrections, editions will happen. Please keep this in mind while reading, planning or commenting. Readers and all Guests: Please comment. Your Advice,...

Comment

You are going to **** yourself for the whole week that you try and wrap oracle on a car.
            Use Avery Supreme and you will love it. 3M 1080 at the least. With no experience you shouldn't consider anything else.

Comment

Hyperion you got a PM. Anyone else work with Oracal? My main reason for going with Oracal was the color choice. I also did research and found it to be a reputable brand.

Comment

I wrapped my truck with 3m 1080. It wasn't "hard " but it was time consuming and you have to pay attention to the small details. I forget how much I used but I think it was 50 or 60 feet. Cost me around 550 if that helps since I can't remember the length. 25 yards seems like way too much but just measure your car and panel and see what it comes out to. Just pay attention to the body lines so you won't have seems.

Comment

thanks, that helps a bit. I figured 50 feet or even 60 feet seemed a little more realistic especially considering it is a fairly small car. Anyone have any other opinions on Oracal 970RA, or Hexis vinyl?

Comment

Oracal 970ra is good stuff. you may consider letting a shop do it for you though. Otherwise, people will laugh at you're car when they see all the fingers and seams in the wrap. see it all the time...

source- i wrap cars for a living, my wifes car is wrapped in oracal matte mint. my truck and car have oracal vinyl on it.

Comment

if you do choose to do it yourself, just buy a 25 yard roll. its the most common size, and it does a 4 door car with about 10 ft left over in case of mistakes. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X