Something Swedish that isn't a Volvo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something Swedish that isn't a Volvo

This is my quest to make a different car even more different. I'm going to warn you guys now: this will be a VERY slow build. There isn't a ton after market for these cars, so I can't get things very easily or cheaply. Let me try to catch everyone up on the cars progress up to this point.

I had lusted for a Saab (Yeah, sounds odd, doesn't it?) since I was about 12. Saw a 2006 9-5 at a local new-car show and told my dad right then and there that I would be getting a Saab 9-5 when I was old enough to drive. A few years later the perfect one popped up at a local dealer. It was the right color, had the right options (all of them), had low miles and was the right price. Let me introduce you to Alfred:

And that is precisely the way it looked for the first two years I owned it. All I did was drive it and wash it about twice a week.

Finally I did some little things for looks:
    Added a front plate to cover the hideous holes left by the PO:

Bought some Aero side-skirts(Still haven't installed these):

Got rid of the chrome:

Then tinted the tails:

Dipped the stockers and wrapped the fogs:

Stayed like that (Dip was removed from the stock wheels) until this summer. Over the summer I started really making plans for this car. Nothing crazy, just wanted to work on it a bit. First thing I did was exhaust. Boxes full of stainless steel showed up at my house:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbHhSy2WAuo"]Saab 9-5 3.0t Magnaflow Exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li1gl-6TNJs"]Saab 9-5 3.0t Magnaflow exhaust rev - YouTube[/ame]

Everyone always said it reminded them of a StormTrooper so I went with it:

Then NEW WHEELS!! But nothing too exciting. Just some Volvo Tethys.

Added a set of racks:

Got bored of silver...

Made my own custom fog lights:

Then I picked up an ultra-rare 9-5 Front lip to complete my Aero kit for $13 at a salvage yard. Still waiting to refinish it.

Next up is:
    -Paint and install Aero kit
    -Vinyl wrap the roof gloss black
    -D2 Coilovers
    -Spacers and new tires for the Tethys
    -18" AMG monoblocks black centers/polished lip
    -Stage 2 ECU tune

I know it's not much of a build yet, but I'm really excited to continue making this thing cool(er). I love the car. I'm a full time accounting student, without a steady job so updates will be slow, but they will come. Whoever will be at IA this weekend, be on the lookout for me in this car!

Thanks for reading.

It's a work in progress^
    Instagram: @jared_hin

The Snaab: Saab 9-5 Build Thread
    Battle Stanced '67 Mercury Cougar

should look amazing if all goes to plan

Comment

if the plan includes the amgs and not the new tyres haha

Comment

I'm down to see this thing, I'll be at IA.
        My Accord Build

Instagram: @puzzlemaster94

Comment

Nice car man. My brother and I have recently got really into Saab's. He has a '99 9-3 coupe (w/o the sunroof) making about 320 whp. It's the 2.3 with a TD04, tune, intake, downpipe, exhaust, injectors, and a few other little odds and ends.

I'm actually trying to get rid of my Kia so I can get a 9-5 Aero for sale here locally. It's an '02 with 140k on the chassis and 60k on the motor. Of course it' the TD04 etc. Basically I want to make it 300+ hp and lower it a bit.

I'll be keeping an eye on this build.

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

Originally posted by am4nf View Post
            if the plan includes the amgs and not the new tyres haha
            AMGs are definitely the plan. Just may get some new tires and spacers for the current wheels until I can afford them.
            Originally posted by puzzlemaster94 View Post
            I'm down to see this thing, I'll be at IA.
            Evan, you see this car every week. Lol. Still down to detail Friday? I'll be at the shop around 1:30.
            Originally posted by andybob View Post
            Nice car man. My brother and I have recently got really into Saab's. He has a '99 9-3 coupe (w/o the sunroof) making about 320 whp. It's the 2.3 with a TD04, tune, intake, downpipe, exhaust, injectors, and a few other little odds and ends.

I'm actually trying to get rid of my Kia so I can get a 9-5 Aero for sale here locally. It's an '02 with 140k on the chassis and 60k on the motor. Of course it' the TD04 etc. Basically I want to make it 300+ hp and lower it a bit.

I'll be keeping an eye on this build.
            Very nice. I wish I had the Aero. The B235R is a hell of an engine. A freind of mine has an '04 Arc (same as the Aero minus tune, suspension and bolstered seats) and I love it. I definitely like the 2.3T over the 3.0t I have.

It's a work in progress^

Comment

Originally posted by JRodigan View Post

Evan, you see this car every week. Lol. Still down to detail Friday? I'll be at the shop around 1:30.
              Yea, should be. Depends on tires
              My Accord Build

Instagram: @puzzlemaster94

Comment

Looking good.

Comment

Nice car man. My brother and I have recently got really into Saab's.

Comment

Originally posted by zebra View Post
                    Looking good.
                    Originally posted by minardimri View Post
                    Nice car man. My brother and I have recently got really into Saab's.
                    Thanks guys. Finally got around to taking some decent pictures with the Volvo wheels on it.

IMG_7421 by threeliterturbo, on Flickr

IMG_7428 by threeliterturbo, on Flickr

IMG_7441 by threeliterturbo, on Flickr

It's a work in progress^

Comment

I found my inspiration....

(It's a little newer model)

I really want to go air in the end, but I won't reach that for a LONG time, but a man can dream!

It's a work in progress^

Comment

Looking good My dad drives a SAAB 9-5 estate, it's a really nice car to drive (and to look at in my opinion), wouldn't mind doing the same mods as you've done/will do to yours to it!

Comment

Car is looking great so far. Can't wait to see it low. S|W needs more Saabs. My dad has a 9-3 Aero vert I've been dying to get my hands on.
                          Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Comment

My buddy has a 9-3 and i keep trying to convince him to just do what he wants to that, he is trying to get an evo instead. He said the same thing though, parts are tough to find and are expensive. Good luck with the build and it looks really nice!
                            Instagram = VIP_E90

Comment

Originally posted by Bumblebi View Post
                              Looking good My dad drives a SAAB 9-5 estate, it's a really nice car to drive (and to look at in my opinion), wouldn't mind doing the same mods as you've done/will do to yours to it!
                              Originally posted by rightfullrudder View Post
                              Car is looking great so far. Can't wait to see it low. S|W needs more Saabs. My dad has a 9-3 Aero vert I've been dying to get my hands on.
                              Originally posted by Illeste9x View Post
                              My buddy has a 9-3 and i keep trying to convince him to just do what he wants to that, he is trying to get an evo instead. He said the same thing though, parts are tough to find and are expensive. Good luck with the build and it looks really nice!
                              Thanks guys! I can't wait to get really started on this. I might be picking up some new wheels next week.... I'll keep you all posted.

It's a work in progress^

Comment

Working...
                              X