Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Something Swedish that isn't a Volvo

Default Something Swedish that isn't a Volvo

This is my quest to make a different car even more different. I'm going to warn you guys now: this will be a VERY slow build. There isn't a ton after market for these cars, so I can't get things very easily or cheaply. Let me try to catch everyone up on the cars progress up to this point.

I had lusted for a Saab (Yeah, sounds odd, doesn't it?) since I was about 12. Saw a 2006 9-5 at a local new-car show and told my dad right then and there that I would be getting a Saab 9-5 when I was old enough to drive. A few years later the perfect one popped up at a local dealer. It was the right color, had the right options (all of them), had low miles and was the right price. Let me introduce you to Alfred:

And that is precisely the way it looked for the first two years I owned it. All I did was drive it and wash it about twice a week.

Finally I did some little things for looks:
    Added a front plate to cover the hideous holes left by the PO:

Bought some Aero side-skirts(Still haven't installed these):

Got rid of the chrome:

Then tinted the tails:

Dipped the stockers and wrapped the fogs:

Stayed like that (Dip was removed from the stock wheels) until this summer. Over the summer I started really making plans for this car. Nothing crazy, just wanted to work on it a bit. First thing I did was exhaust. Boxes full of stainless steel showed up at my house:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbHhSy2WAuo"]Saab 9-5 3.0t Magnaflow Exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li1gl-6TNJs"]Saab 9-5 3.0t Magnaflow exhaust rev - YouTube[/ame]

Everyone always said it reminded them of a StormTrooper so I went with it:

Then NEW WHEELS!! But nothing too exciting. Just some Volvo Tethys.

Added a set of racks:

Got bored of silver...

Made my own custom fog lights:

Then I picked up an ultra-rare 9-5 Front lip to complete my Aero kit for $13 at a salvage yard. Still waiting to refinish it.

Next up is:
    -Paint and install Aero kit
    -Vinyl wrap the roof gloss black
    -D2 Coilovers
    -Spacers and new tires for the Tethys
    -18" AMG monoblocks black centers/polished lip
    -Stage 2 ECU tune

I know it's not much of a build yet, but I'm really excited to continue making this thing cool(er). I love the car. I'm a full time accounting student, without a steady job so updates will be slow, but they will come. Whoever will be at IA this weekend, be on the lookout for me in this car!

Thanks for reading.

It's a work in progress^
    Instagram: @jared_hin

The Snaab: Saab 9-5 Build Thread
    Battle Stanced '67 Mercury Cougar

should look amazing if all goes to plan

if the plan includes the amgs and not the new tyres haha

I'm down to see this thing, I'll be at IA.
    My Accord Build

Instagram: @puzzlemaster94

Nice car man. My brother and I have recently got really into Saab's. He has a '99 9-3 coupe (w/o the sunroof) making about 320 whp. It's the 2.3 with a TD04, tune, intake, downpipe, exhaust, injectors, and a few other little odds and ends.

I'm actually trying to get rid of my Kia so I can get a 9-5 Aero for sale here locally. It's an '02 with 140k on the chassis and 60k on the motor. Of course it' the TD04 etc. Basically I want to make it 300+ hp and lower it a bit.

I'll be keeping an eye on this build.

The Kia has been parted.

Quote Originally Posted by am4nf View Post
    if the plan includes the amgs and not the new tyres haha
    AMGs are definitely the plan. Just may get some new tires and spacers for the current wheels until I can afford them.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlemaster94 View Post
    I'm down to see this thing, I'll be at IA.
    Evan, you see this car every week. Lol. Still down to detail Friday? I'll be at the shop around 1:30.
    Quote Originally Posted by andybob View Post
    Nice car man. My brother and I have recently got really into Saab's. He has a '99 9-3 coupe (w/o the sunroof) making about 320 whp. It's the 2.3 with a TD04, tune, intake, downpipe, exhaust, injectors, and a few other little odds and ends.

I'm actually trying to get rid of my Kia so I can get a 9-5 Aero for sale here locally. It's an '02 with 140k on the chassis and 60k on the motor. Of course it' the TD04 etc. Basically I want to make it 300+ hp and lower it a bit.

I'll be keeping an eye on this build.
    Very nice. I wish I had the Aero. The B235R is a hell of an engine. A freind of mine has an '04 Arc (same as the Aero minus tune, suspension and bolstered seats) and I love it. I definitely like the 2.3T over the 3.0t I have.

It's a work in progress^

Quote Originally Posted by JRodigan View Post

Evan, you see this car every week. Lol. Still down to detail Friday? I'll be at the shop around 1:30.
    Yea, should be. Depends on tires
    My Accord Build

Instagram: @puzzlemaster94

Looking good.

Nice car man. My brother and I have recently got really into Saab's.

Quote Originally Posted by zebra View Post
    Looking good.
    Quote Originally Posted by minardimri View Post
    Nice car man. My brother and I have recently got really into Saab's.
    Thanks guys. Finally got around to taking some decent pictures with the Volvo wheels on it.

IMG_7421 by threeliterturbo, on Flickr

IMG_7428 by threeliterturbo, on Flickr

IMG_7441 by threeliterturbo, on Flickr

It's a work in progress^

I found my inspiration....

(It's a little newer model)

I really want to go air in the end, but I won't reach that for a LONG time, but a man can dream!

It's a work in progress^

Looking good My dad drives a SAAB 9-5 estate, it's a really nice car to drive (and to look at in my opinion), wouldn't mind doing the same mods as you've done/will do to yours to it!

Car is looking great so far. Can't wait to see it low. S|W needs more Saabs. My dad has a 9-3 Aero vert I've been dying to get my hands on.

My buddy has a 9-3 and i keep trying to convince him to just do what he wants to that, he is trying to get an evo instead. He said the same thing though, parts are tough to find and are expensive. Good luck with the build and it looks really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebi View Post
    Looking good My dad drives a SAAB 9-5 estate, it's a really nice car to drive (and to look at in my opinion), wouldn't mind doing the same mods as you've done/will do to yours to it!
    Quote Originally Posted by rightfullrudder View Post
    Car is looking great so far. Can't wait to see it low. S|W needs more Saabs. My dad has a 9-3 Aero vert I've been dying to get my hands on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illeste9x View Post
    My buddy has a 9-3 and i keep trying to convince him to just do what he wants to that, he is trying to get an evo instead. He said the same thing though, parts are tough to find and are expensive. Good luck with the build and it looks really nice!
    Thanks guys! I can't wait to get really started on this. I might be picking up some new wheels next week.... I'll keep you all posted.

It's a work in progress^

I am excited for your progress. Working on an 0-9 wagon myself. Good luck bud

From one Swedish brand to another, I love slow progress build threads that actually go somewhere and you can see the progression (similar to my build thread). I drove my cousins 9-5 for about 5 hours during a road trip, very nice cars. I love the jet fighter mode or whatever it is that turns off all lights except the Speedo.

I just realized, I've seen your Tethys for sale on Craigslist... I search Volvo wheels all the time and just realized you're from Louisville!
    Last edited by JVC; 11-23-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Follow Me On Instagram! @jvc8790 #jvcphotography

Quote Originally Posted by kpg2713 View Post
    I am excited for your progress. Working on an 0-9 wagon myself. Good luck bud
    I love wagons. If I ever sell this one, it will be in favor of a 2009 Aero Wagon.
    Quote Originally Posted by JVC View Post
    From one Swedish brand to another, I love slow progress build threads that actually go somewhere and you can see the progression (similar to my build thread). I drove my cousins 9-5 for about 5 hours during a road trip, very nice cars. I love the jet fighter mode or whatever it is that turns off all lights except the Speedo.

I just realized, I've seen your Tethys for sale on Craigslist... I search Volvo wheels all the time and just realized you're from Louisville!
    Thank man.

Yes, Night Panel, I love it. It's kinda gimmicky, but everyone that rides in it at night just loves it. Especially when the rest of the speedo fades in when you hit 90.

And yeah, those would be mine. haha. Trying to see what's out there right now. Like I said, might be getting a new set this week if I can arrange it.

It's a work in progress^

Well, new wheels didn't happen...the guy still has them and I might be able to grab them next week when I'm done with finals at school. I did order the gloss black Vinyl for the roof today. It should be here next week so hopefully I can have it applied next week as well.

It's a work in progress^

Roof vinyl came in! Don't know when I'll find the time to actually wrap it.

Also, lows are going to take a bit longer than I had initially thought. Lets just say, I've decided to get low in a little bit less static way.... So I have a little more saving up to do....

It's a work in progress^

Just registered for Water by the Bridge here in Louisville. I have 2 months to:
    -Wrap the roof
    -refinish my Volvo wheels
    -Paint my Aero kit
    -Try to find some H&R or Eibach lowering springs on the cheap. Springs will only be temporary.

It's a work in progress^

Well, I **** to call this an update, because it isn't... But I painted my Volvo wheels.

IMG_8082 by threeliterturbo, on Flickr

Also, wanted to let you all know why there's been no real updates: I'm currently an Accounting major in college, so I have no time for a job...blah blah you've heard it all before I'm sure.

If you didn't see above, the plan for this car is now to put it on air. As far as I know it will be the first bagged Saab 9-5 ever. I know, this sounds like it won't work out because air is expensive and I don't have a job...but there's hope! In the small amount of spare time I have, I have been doing the online work and setting up appointments (basically brokering) the sale of a houseboat. There seems to be someone genuinely interested in it at the moment, and my commission from the sale will cover most of the cost of bagging the Saab.

So for now, here are some photo shops of car:

Saab on TXWheels by threeliterturbo, on Flickr

Saab on Fururas by threeliterturbo, on Flickr

Saab on AMGs by threeliterturbo, on Flickr

Saab on WCI by threeliterturbo, on Flickr

Saab on Style95 Grey by threeliterturbo, on Flickr

Saab on CCW by threeliterturbo, on Flickr

Saab on Bentleys by threeliterturbo, on Flickr

This will probably be my last post before I have something actually worth updating. Comments welcome!

It's a work in progress^

Futura's would look great on there.
    Instagram: lowtege

Hey mate, if your after some cheap lows until you get your bags just cut a coil off the stock springs. I've got a 2000 SE with a TD04 and stage 3, and I took a coil off all round last weekend. Not Stanceworks worthy but gets rid of the arch gap! Took me about an hour and half and drives so much nicer! (I am aware it's not the "correct" way to lower a car!)

If you ever wanna get rid of those Volvo wheels you should let me know, they look AWESOME!
    Quote Originally Posted by JC. View Post
    'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.