Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '75 BMW 2002 | 4x100 to Center-Lock Inquiry

Hello S|W,

I've been asking around to friends of mine as well as posting on other forums, I know there are a good amount of BMW guys on here, and hopefully some engineers too that can help me out. There may be a very simple solution that I am over thinking...

I have a 1975 BMW 2002, the lug pattern is 4x100 and there is a set of three-piece BBS Mahle’s at my house that are center-lock off of an old racecar; these wheels have the potential to be on my car. The problem is going from the 4x100 pattern to center lock which I'm starting to think isn't possible. This is why...

I haven't found anything on the switch from one pattern to the other for the E10 and if I did it is just an adapter, so you may think, "Oh there is your answer just buy an adapter". Here’s the catch, an adapter is not an option, I just don't trust it and wouldn't want to take the seemingly easy way out.

The only thing I could think of would be removing the 4x100 stud setup (of course), and if I were to get specs and measurements, etc would be it possible to get a center-lock stud setup machined/fabricated? I've helped assemble the rear axle for the Henry J my dad and I are building, so I've seen what it looks like and how it's put together/works. I'm just not completely sure about everything that would have to be done. It seems possible and if I'm not mistaken a new axle shaft would have to be built, so would it also mean that a whole new hub bearing and housing would have to be fabricated and machined as well just to accommodate the center-lock?

One other idea I had would be getting it from an old BMW racecar, but that's more of a long shot haha...

Again, apparently this hasn’t been done on an E10, I’ve already posted on 2002faq forum and have searched a good amount but haven’t found anything. Maybe I’m just nuts, who knows… could be a first.

Here is the car from my intro thread; haven't done anything to it besides make it eligible to be registered and driven.

...and here are the wheels mounted on my dad's truck, sorry for the inverted image.

This is the thread I made; it didn't get very far: Centerlock Wheels/hub

Thanks for looking and also thanks for the input, appreciate it.
    1975 BMW 2002 : : 1977 BMW 320i : : 1983 BMW 320i

It can be done. Easily, probably not, a lot of custom machining and fabrication would be involved. Plus you would probably spend more on that than a new set of wheels that bolt on properly.

Comment

Image wheels makes a centre lock adapter that will bolt to your hub.
      1999 SL2 Saturn Build rip
      1998 EK hatch Civic Build

Comment

These wheels are BBS E55 Rennsport magnesium. The back wheels are technical holes. The adapter you have to do in their spacing. Perhaps there is a 5x120 or 5x130.

Comment

Originally posted by skiierman View Post
          It can be done. Easily, probably not, a lot of custom machining and fabrication would be involved. Plus you would probably spend more on that than a new set of wheels that bolt on properly.
          That's my thought, I'm sure they can be machined, actually I know they can be, but they are going to be a pretty penny to do them right. Also finding a credible shop or a group like Ireland Engineering who has done it before to make sure it is done right.

Originally posted by Randomofodication View Post
          Image wheels makes a centre lock adapter that will bolt to your hub.
          Originally posted by Simply Classy View Post
          I haven't found anything on the switch from one pattern to the other for the E10 and if I did it is just an adapter, so you may think, "Oh there is your answer just buy an adapter". Here’s the catch, an adapter is not an option, I just don't trust it and wouldn't want to take the seemingly easy way out.
          Would be the easiest thing to do but no adapters, sorry.

Originally posted by dzidziusbmw View Post
          These wheels are BBS E55 Rennsport magnesium. The back wheels are technical holes. The adapter you have to do in their spacing. Perhaps there is a 5x120 or 5x130.
          Quite positive I saw Mahle on the centers, will have to double check that though. I don't quite follow you on the technical holes for the back wheels. Otherwise, again an adapter is not in the picture.

Comment

Centerlock adapter is not Your regular type of adapter.

Comment

I don't know how the e30 and the 2002 platfor are but they are both 4x100 so maybe you can

fit these parts on your 2002...

Comment

Technical holes must have some size, but definitely not 4x100 in your wheels. 5x120 or 5x130.

Comment

We will be doing a project like this fairly soon. Sourcing 7000 series aluminum to do the job. You are correct in that it's not a cheap endeavor but doing it right is the only way to do it.

You definitely need to find out the rear pad pattern for where the pins go and things like the centerbore of the wheels you plan on using.
                  sigpic
                  1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
                  1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

Adapters are as safe as running wheels...... Just make sure they are good quality and hub and wheel centric.. Don't know why anybody wouldn't trust them. Other then adapters there is only the option of fully converting to centre lock, and that is crazy crazy expensive.
                    1999 SL2 Saturn Build rip
                    1998 EK hatch Civic Build

Comment

Originally posted by a112 View Post
                      Centerlock adapter is not Your regular type of adapter.
                      Yeah I had a feeling that they weren't by the limited amount of information about it.

Originally posted by OrangeBlue View Post
                      I don't know how the e30 and the 2002 platfor are but they are both 4x100 so maybe you can fit these parts on your 2002...

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Zentralversch...-/320535299812
                      Those are interesting to say the least, the only thing that would be a problem as they are adapters would be finding the correct diameter to fit the center bore of the new wheels.

Originally posted by dzidziusbmw View Post
                      http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1215229820.jpg

Technical holes must have some size, but definitely not 4x100 in your wheels. 5x120 or 5x130.
                      I think I see what you are talking about now, so I'll have to check the Mahles to see, they are currently on my dad's truck. When I get to them I'll look at it; before I was talking about the BMW has the 4x100 pattern on its hub.

Originally posted by 1badg35 View Post
                      We will be doing a project like this fairly soon. Sourcing 7000 series aluminum to do the job. You are correct in that it's not a cheap endeavor but doing it right is the only way to do it.

You definitely need to find out the rear pad pattern for where the pins go and things like the centerbore of the wheels you plan on using.
                      That 7000 series is pretty tough stuff from what I've read, but haha that's true it will be expensive. The thing is, this will happen for all four wheels. Also the pad pattern and pins for the hub, along with pretty much all of the nuts, bearings, rings, as well as the number of splines (if the entire shaft gets built) will all have to be measured. Literally measure 50 times, machine once.

Originally posted by Randomofodication View Post
                      Adapters are as safe as running wheels...... Just make sure they are good quality and hub and wheel centric.. Don't know why anybody wouldn't trust them. Other then adapters there is only the option of fully converting to centre lock, and that is crazy crazy expensive.
                      I didn't mean to say they were unsafe, I just would prefer to not run them. I mean of course if they are credible, fit properly and are put on correctly then there will be no problems. I just have the idea that they are going to put extra stress (yeah I know minimal amounts due to the extra centimeters of spacing), and just regular wear and tear on the hub itself. Maybe I'm just BS-ing all of this...

Comment

You're not BS-ing all of this. Its perfectly understandable why you want to avoid running adapters. I run them but would rather not, its just one more thing that can potentially go wrong. Wheels roll better (smoother) adapterless in most cases.

insta:yungwymo

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt Lay View Post
                          You're not BS-ing all of this. Its perfectly understandable why you want to avoid running adapters. I run them but would rather not, its just one more thing that can potentially go wrong. Wheels roll better (smoother) adapterless in most cases.
                          Thanks man, and that's one thing I thought as well, just one extra bit that can cause that little problem, probably a slight chance but you never know. I would want the wheels to roll better/more smoothly in this case haha just because a lot of future plans will all depend on if these hubs get built... it's between building or just restoring the car and moving on.

Comment

Working...
                          X