No announcement yet.

1990 UK Vauxhall Nova SR20DET Space Framed Trackcar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has gotta be one of the best projects I've ever seen great work!!!

Comment

Kind words, thank you but maybe you're not looking hard enough - some awesome projects on this forum alone. But thanks again. Just hope I can get it finished and rolling!

Comment

So been doing a lot of head scratching and measuring over the last week to work out why a certain part wasn't quite working out as planned! Turns out my a pillars are not square with each other and thus my bulkhead is not square. Its not by a lot but enough I noticed it! Its not something I can rectify at this stage but it also isn't going to effect anything else. When I put the main parts of the cage into the car it was before I had the current plans so not as much care was taken :doh:

However! The box rails ARE square in the car/shell and line up square with the b pillars (so at least I put those in right! lol). All it meant was that I had to do a bit of working out and measuring to figure out where the turrets needed to be sat etc as I couldn't take measurements off of my dash bar as originally intended. This did slow me up over the xmas break but there has finally been progress today....

After my next session up there I can hopefully remove the strut jig and thus get the engine back in!

Last edited by The Simps; 06-17-2019, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Well Done. Always watching your progress. Well done

Audi RS4PRA | VW Golf MKV GT-Y | Audi A1 SportBack

Comment

Cheers! Hopefully get some time on it again at the weekend

Comment

Got a bit more done on the turrets today.

Started by removing the jig as no longer needed...

Then started building it up...

Made the template for the top plate...

With the wing in place (edges on wing still need tidying)...

Tied it into the A-pillar...

Ran out of gas at this point so had to call it a day sadly. Think I'm going to add another support in here just add a touch more strength...

Thanks for looking.
              Last edited by The Simps; 06-17-2019, 06:20 AM.

Comment

This thing is going to be awesome! Keep up the good work.
                The hillbilly equivalent of a nasa substation worker.
                Originally posted by Dubway5887
                I felt bad for that dude. Of all places for a sink to be at a car show... Maybe sink holes like car shows like tornado's like trailer parks?

Comment

Other turret now all tacked up....

Comment

No more to do on the front end at this time so back in with the engine, luckily it looks like I measured clearances correctly for my frame design!...

Offering up the gearbox and working out the tunnel is next...

Then once thats in I can angle it up and start on getting the rear subframe attached to the car!

Was great to see the engine back in again. Makes it look more like a car again and gives you a little gee up after weeks on end of cutting, grinding & profiling of tubing!

Comment

well, it looks like you know what youre doing. carry on.

its looking good (y)

instagram: @keenanhaye

Comment

Originally posted by keenan View Post
                        well, it looks like you know what youre doing.

I really hopes so! Time will tell

Comment

Took a couple of hours out this morning for a play as I have guests all weekend and working late most nights next week

Put the gearbox into place...

Its not bolted up yet just resting on the lugs and about 10mm off the block. It may not be in entirely square but close enough for what I was doing today.

Here you can see the clearance I have either side of the block, bearing in mind my sheet metal will be going on the outside edge of the box rail...

Next up was to try and get a feel for seat clearance and leg room. Where I anticipate the seat to be this is where my leg out stretched comes too. I'm about 6ft...

With a bent leg there should be room there for the floor mounted pedal box.

Seat height will be something like this as they will be about an inch or so off of the floor. Should be enough clearance for a helmet...

I can't get a true representation of how the seats sit at this stage because the box rails are in the way. But this gives me a feel for it. The seat will be around 4" lower and hopefully another 1-2" further back and moved closer to the door...

The winged seats make it a tighter fit but hopefully I can work with them as I do love those seats!

Had a quick squizz at the prop situation. I'm going to need to shorten it by around 8". Now do I chop it down to one shaft or shorten each section to keep it 2 piece? Thoughts please...

Cheeky barn door shot to finish on....

Last edited by The Simps; 06-17-2019, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Congratulations! You've just earned my 45th subscription...
                            Lucas
                            Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
                            Originally posted by LCG
                            High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

lol cheers!

Comment

Keep the shaft in 2 pieces IMO

progress IS a slow process

Comment

Working...
                                X