No announcement yet.

Peer pressured intro: w108...ness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love everything about this So jealous!
    ~adamls2~

~~Boost 'n Boobs~~

Comment

what a great merc, congrats

Comment

I've only been driving it and doing maintenance. A few recent shots.

MB w108
        Vimeo

Comment

Purely stunning. Great purchase sir!

- Renato
          TWMPerformance.com | TWMShiftKnobs.com | GodSaveTheManuals.com
          sigpic

Comment

This is a really beautiful car. I´ve always been liked these Merc´s!

Comment

This car is sooooo photogenic
              Lucas
              Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
              Originally posted by LCG
              High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

wow looks awesome

Comment

beautiful car congrats! I recently got my 72 280se. super comfy, classy ride, slam it and get ready to have love thrown your way everytime you get behind the wheel.
                  Buttery

Comment

On my way home from a friend's house, I noticed the generator light start to glow dimly after about an hour's drive. We had noticed one of the belts coming off of the alternator was pretty dry rotted so it had to come out.

Belts:
                    POWER STEERING PUMP: CONTINENTAL AVX 13 X 750
                    ALTERNATOR TO FAN TO MAIN PULLEY: CONTINENTAL AVX 10 X 935
                    ALTERNATOR TO FAN: CONTINENTAL AVX 10 X 740
                    AC BELT: CONTINENTAL AVX 13 X 1325

First thing I did was to remove the fan shroud. you can see the mounting holes here:

I then removed all the houses leading to the radiator, drained it and removed it. These are held into place via pressure provided by long rubber pieces. It basically takes some pushing back and forth while pulling the radiator up to let it free. You can see all of the mounting points here. (you'll need a 27mm open ended wrench to remove the oil cooler lines)

With the radiator out, it's time to remove the fan. There are 10mm screws holding the fan clutch to the car, Its a tight job but its fairly easy. What worked for me was to spin the engine so each screw was at the 2 o'clock position, it was more room to work.

And what it looks like out of the car:

And since it was out, I replaced the fan clutch:

To remove the A/C fan, you just loosen the tensioner at about 2 o'clock. The whole bracket moves clockwise to loosen the belt.

The alternator has an adjustment bar under the AC pump, you wont miss it. I think it's a 17mm bolt.

The power steering pump is the pain in the ass. It has 3 bolts on slotted openings. The pump is on the lower right hand part of the picture. You can see one of the bolts next to the "732" of that belt's serial number. The second is underneath the pulley, and the third being a 14mm nut behind the pump. It's pretty easy access so a small socket should fit. Loosening these will make the pump move toward the center of the car. There is also an eyelet with a threaded bolt clipped onto the top bolt, be sure to take note where that is, it will be really important later. The trick to getting the belt off is to put a 27mm socket on the main shaft to spin the engine clockwise with your left hand, while pinching/twisting the belt in a counterclockwise manner off of the pulley.

Once you do all that, you'll have this. You can see the sliding bracket for the alternator in this shot (to the left of the fan mount, the pulley has been removed so it looks a little different than the previous pic)

And here are the old belts.

Ok, to put the belts back on. start with the two from the alternator. The deepest one runs over the center pulley and onto the deepest slot on the main pulley. The second goes from the alternator to the fan drive. The goes the one from the A/C to the adjustment pulley, and down to the main shaft. For the power steering pump, start the belt on the main pulley and start it on top of the pump pulley. Turn the engine clockwise and it will go on with no problem. Use that eyelet on the right of the pump, with a long 10mm socket, to pull the entire housing to the right, this will tension the entire thing enough for you to tighten the 2, 27mm bolts with a wrench and the 14mm socket in back.

To tension the alternator, slide a bar in between the alternator and bracket and crank to the left. You can kind of see it in pic 8. Tighten the 17mm bolt on the adjustment bracket and you are all done there.

To tighten the AC belt, the backing of the bracket is held on with a 19mm bolt, you'll need a wrench to get to that, a socket won't fit.

That's all I got done for the day. I'll update this when I finish. The radiator is going t get repaired, it seems like it has a small leak.
                    Last edited by rafcarre12; 05-17-2015, 06:09 AM.
                    MB w108
                    Vimeo

Comment

Wooow. Your Merc is sooo beautiful, i just fell in love ...
                      I like every pic u posted up

Greetings from Germany!

My '84 Volkswagen Jetta Mk 2

Comment

Working...
                      X