The teenage budget 1973 Celica ST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MasonCaster View Post
    This is gunna be great car, It's going to be really fun to see your progress!
    Now go get that Yugo. Now.

1973 Celica
    Tanner Stinson
    ASU '19

Comment

Love the celica. I can't wait to see what you do with this jem.
      Volvo Build Thread
      Bmw Build Thread
      Toyota Build Thread
      zanebonk instagram
      Tumblrrrr

Comment

I envy you.
        This is my favorite car of all time.
        I cant wait to see what you got in store

Comment

holy shit, go grab those bumpers on that one with the tree on it.. those go for a pretty penny. someone would forsure trade ya a set of mikunis or something for a set of smiley bumpers.

Comment

Originally posted by montgomery View Post
            Love the celica. I can't wait to see what you do with this jem.
            Thanks man!

Originally posted by Ferenza View Post
            I envy you.
            This is my favorite car of all time.
            I cant wait to see what you got in store
            Thanks!

Originally posted by corolllin View Post
            holy shit, go grab those bumpers on that one with the tree on it.. those go for a pretty penny. someone would forsure trade ya a set of mikunis or something for a set of smiley bumpers.

Yeah, hopefully I can go check it out. Maybe they will trade for my old Burton Air laying around

1973 Celica
            Tanner Stinson
            ASU '19

Comment

So today, we took out the seats, both rear and front, what was left of the carpet, and the belts. Most of the belts are in nasty condition, but a few we think were never unreeled! Score! Also, the rear seat is in awesome condition for the most part, the 2 pads that were behind it are in great condition, and the only spot that we noticed was not in good shape looks like something rusty was sitting on it. A couple tears here and there, but the main problem was in the seats. Both front seats were drivers side, but I will probably be keeping the black until I get newer seats, but not original. I am not sure what I want to do with the brown one, I am not sure if it is newer or older, it has the dragon emblem on the back of the headrest if that helps. I thought about taking the dash off, but then after removing two or three screws I decided to skip it and wait till its running or another day.

As for the rust, most of it is around the grommets so we might use the saber saw and cut a wider hole, then put a bigger grommet in to avoid removing the sound deadening. As for the trunk spots, we are probably gonna just cut out the spare wheel well then make it flush, either riveting a patch on or finding someone to weld it on.

Another thing I was trying to figure out today was the electrical. the bulbs that are working are very dim and, which is probably a cause from corrosion, which I still need to fix. There are also some switches that are not working or are unplugged that I have no idea what they go to. Hopefully when I get the manual this Wednesday I can solve that problem. As for the car, I talked to the guy at NAPA, he things he can find me an adapter for the Weber for cheap, plus he has fast shipping, so we will see. Anyways, some pictures for your eyes:

The block solenoid/whatever it is starting screeching at me today whenever the battery was plugged in. Now it has stopped and is fine.

Bit of a window gap going on here. The window wont crank all the way up, I suspect.

Lots of parts

This thing broke off. Hose to the carburetor

We found out one of the seat mounts sheered off, gotta weld that up too!

1973 Celica
              Tanner Stinson
              ASU '19

Comment

Hey, the hose to carb is most likely the carb heat to prevent carb ice or a heat operated choke.

I'll ask The guys at the snowboard factory if they'd sell parts off that Celica. I used to work there a few years back and I still know a few guys there. Chances are I could trade beer for parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlyons617 View Post
                  Hey, the hose to carb is most likely the carb heat to prevent carb ice or a heat operated choke.

I'll ask The guys at the snowboard factory if they'd sell parts off that Celica. I used to work there a few years back and I still know a few guys there. Chances are I could trade beer for parts.
                  Thanks, tell them I'd be willing to throw in a 1990 Burton Air if they want it. It's pretty hard to find, plus I have hard boot bindings for it. Thanks!

1973 Celica
                  Tanner Stinson
                  ASU '19

Comment

Originally posted by hackrtanman View Post
                    As for the trunk spots, we are probably gonna just cut out the spare wheel well then make it flush, either riveting a patch on or finding someone to weld it on.
                    If I we got a hold of a welder, my dad could probably hook you up.

Comment

A Message To Everyone

Quick word of advice that I am sure everyone knows: Don't half-ass anything. Today I was looking at the car some more and one of the previous owners decided it would be cool to put in half the bolts needed and not plug in many of the electrical cables. That's what I was doing, fixing their poor job.

So, in short,

Don't be stupid

1973 Celica
                      Tanner Stinson
                      ASU '19

Comment

Love these.

Comment

Hello once again, A few days ago I got the carb adapter in the mail, tried fitting it and the PCV Valve hose was in the way. After I finally figured out that I can just loosen it a bit, I managed to squeeze that and the Weber on. So awkward trying to get the bolts on, but I managed to, and tight also. Charged the battery once again, put the key in and it turned over. No start. Pulled a plug out and laid it on the valve cover, which helped me see that it is in fact trying, but not correctly. After fiddling around with the distributor, I managed to get it to backfire.

Cool.

Not quite what I was looking for, but hey, it's tryin'. Looks like we've gotta adjust the timing, but after trying to find the marking on the flywheel for TDC, we have no idea where it is. It is no where to be seen. Anyways, I will hopefully have a video of it running sometime soon! Still tryin to find parts, also.
                          Thanks, Tanner

1973 Celica
                          Tanner Stinson
                          ASU '19

Comment

Today I got points, a condenser, cap, rotor, and some fuel line and filter. Installed those, gapped it correctly, but still not start, so it is most likely the timing. The only problem is that I am having trouble finding the marker on the timing cover, but I have found them on the pulley. Probably gonna work on that tomorrow, and then hope to god it runs tomorrow.

I am also gonna need to replaced some of the brake lines, as they are rubber and are leaking. No bueno.

1973 Celica
                            Tanner Stinson
                            ASU '19

Comment

IT RUNS! After probably a year and a half, if not more or sitting, it started up first crank, and it WANTED to run.

Basically I took everyone's advice from here and everywhere and messed around with the Distributor. All I did was set the wheel exactly to TDC compression, marked and pulled the distributor, then set it to plug one. Before I reset it, it was a quarter turn delayed from where it should be.

Stupid people.

Nah, actually, what I think happened was the owner 3 before me had it all apart in many places, then slapped it together for a sale, considering that it is missing half the bolts and some of them weren't right or tight.

As of right now, here is my order of operation:
                              -Get a few holes and patches welded up, such as the seat mount and the floor pan.
                              -get all the wiring figured out, along with some mechanical
                              -get some front seats, then prime and bed line the floor and trunk
                              -Brakes. Don't even ask about the fluid and the lines. Don't
                              -Finally, the big ticket items such as wheels, flares and spoiler, paint

The first few items should be quick and easy, and I expect wheels by At least November, hopefully October if I am lucky

1973 Celica
                              Tanner Stinson
                              ASU '19

Comment

tons of potential here. i love these all done up with bumper mounted oil coolers. just something about it. i had an AE86 but sadly i sold it before PCSing to my current duty station. shoulda kept it. keep on keepin on and dont give up like i did man. cant wait to see it finished!

Comment

Working...
                                X