Bagged Mercury Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bagged Mercury Grand Marquis

OK enough at the intro section. Here is my pride and joy. It was my grandfathers and is in amazing original condition, or it was, now it is in amazing custom condition. Funny thing is Grandpa actually thinks its cool, He was quite the hotrodder in the day and can appreciate custom, which is cool for a man his age. Enough of the talk, lets get everyone caught up on my build.

The Merc in stock form and my other project (Yes that is a Pontiac 6000 LE) sitting way to high.

My air management system is very unique, I am a mechanical engineer and work as a manufacturing engineer. We scrap a lot of expense valve banks and fittings every time an old machine gets recycled. I had an idea to use what we call PO checks, (pilot operated check valves), they are very reliable and we actually use them for safety applications so if air is removed from the retract of a heavy tool the cylinder will not drift. Sounds perfect for holding air in an air bag. When you want to to deflate you just supply a pilot air signal to reverse the check valve. I scavenged 4 of the best I could find and gathered up some parts from old valve banks that would control the air to the PO checks. Then I scored some old R134 tanks that quickly became my 8 gallons of air tanks. Like I said in my intro, UNIQUE! Oh yeah the valve bank was 24VDC, so I bought a voltage doubler off ebay for like 10 bucks, still have to order a spare, oops.

Collecting junk yard parts to avoid cuttin up the nice original bits.

More goodies!

Using the Factory rear bags presented a small difficulty in that they have their solenoids directly fitted into the air bag and are fed by a measly 3/32 inch air line from the weak little compressor, none of that will do. The solution was to remove the solenoid and replace it with a bung/adapter that had a standard 3/8 NPT thread in it. Shown here in Solidworks. Spun them up out of aluminum and installed new O-Rings.

Believe it or not the factory air springs swapped directly in place of the factory coil springs. I hooked up the compressor and voila the back of my car now had variable elevation capabilities! Only unbolted the shocks.

On to the front which was much, much more work, no there is no kit I could find to do this. Springs removed for a test of the travel

Modifying LCA's

More to come...
    "The Merc" (1999 Mercury Grand Marquis LS)

Done: FBSS Air Ride, PI Dual Exhaust, LED Gauge Back Light, LED Interior Lamps, Custom Gauge Overlays, Infinity/Alpine Sound, 20% Tint, Sanden EDC, 18" Magnaflow muffs and 3" tips.

Future: 3.55:1 with Trac-Loc, More Lows (Commence to Cutting), Wheel spacers for better fitment, Possibly New Wheels.

very cool, can't wait to see it all finished

Comment

this is awesome, wheel ideas?
      @DollaDollaDill

Comment

such an awesome build and i like that its unique and put together with scavenged parts. Always sweet finding new purpose for old obsolete machinery.
        C280 Build Thread
        C43 ///AMG Build Thread
        E320 Wagon Build Thread

Follow me on Instagram:@SD_210

Comment

Very clever stuff man. Awesome that your grandpa likes it haha! Any plans for paint? It could look sick in flat black or like an olive drab or something

IG: Nick475

Comment

I **** bags but i like how different this build is, especially since its not just bagged on some 239089205" Lexani knockoff rimz
            "Nord's armor has lots of fur. This sometimes makes M'aiq nervous." -M'aiq The Liar

THIS GL-10 IS PRETTY COOL!

Stay up to date with my '86 Subaru GL-10 build on Instagram with @billytheboobaru

"At least if your car is going to die, might as well die under WOT giving it the beans"

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the positive feedback guys. It means a lot! No paint I'm affraid, the factory finish on this car is spectacular, I believe it was a factory re clear for possible repair, whatever they did there is a lot of clear on it and it really has to be seen to be appreciated. I'm looking for wheel ideas, just for the record I'm not opposed to knockoffs.
              "The Merc" (1999 Mercury Grand Marquis LS)

Done: FBSS Air Ride, PI Dual Exhaust, LED Gauge Back Light, LED Interior Lamps, Custom Gauge Overlays, Infinity/Alpine Sound, 20% Tint, Sanden EDC, 18" Magnaflow muffs and 3" tips.

Future: 3.55:1 with Trac-Loc, More Lows (Commence to Cutting), Wheel spacers for better fitment, Possibly New Wheels.

Comment

I dig the factory color, gives it that old man car look.
                sigpic
                04 X-type | 2.5L 5-speed | KW Coilovers | 19x9.5 bbs style (not real) wheels w/ 245/35/19s | Mina Gallery exhaust | Specter intake | slotted and drilled rotors | race seats | Redline leather shift boots and suede steering wheel wrap | black mesh grills | Cosmo racing short shifter | trunk lip spoiler | euro front bumper blades |

Comment

very unique! wish i had the knowledge and tools to create my own airride system! good luck to you sir
                  Instagram - marcuscreek ---- facebook - /cusbum

Static Low R50 Mini Cooper

Comment

Cool ride, needs wire wheels and a Snoop Dogg CD tho!
                    Don&Vlad || SOHK
                    ---------------------------------------------------------
                    '90 Honda Civic Shuttle EE2

Comment

I would say some Dayton's are your best bet for this bad boy.

Comment

awesome awesome awesome. Would love to see more unique builds like this. Keep it up!
                        aaa

Comment

Truth be told, I've had a soft spot for these. Maybe because my grandfather had two consecutive generations of them including this one. I always wondered what they would look like properly done on bags. OP, please don't disappoint. So far, I like what I see.
                          Sup. Call me Z.
                          My Accord "build".

Comment

The re-purposing of old parts in f***in spectacular! Almost reminds me of a rat rod build in the spirit of pieceing it together and MAKING it work but with a hell of a lot more class, clear coat, tech and so one.

Good show sir!

Comment

i love these big body sedans and the stock color. i cant wait to see it laid out!

Comment

Working...
                              X