Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bagged Mercury Grand Marquis

Default Bagged Mercury Grand Marquis

OK enough at the intro section. Here is my pride and joy. It was my grandfathers and is in amazing original condition, or it was, now it is in amazing custom condition. Funny thing is Grandpa actually thinks its cool, He was quite the hotrodder in the day and can appreciate custom, which is cool for a man his age. Enough of the talk, lets get everyone caught up on my build.

The Merc in stock form and my other project (Yes that is a Pontiac 6000 LE) sitting way to high.

My air management system is very unique, I am a mechanical engineer and work as a manufacturing engineer. We scrap a lot of expense valve banks and fittings every time an old machine gets recycled. I had an idea to use what we call PO checks, (pilot operated check valves), they are very reliable and we actually use them for safety applications so if air is removed from the retract of a heavy tool the cylinder will not drift. Sounds perfect for holding air in an air bag. When you want to to deflate you just supply a pilot air signal to reverse the check valve. I scavenged 4 of the best I could find and gathered up some parts from old valve banks that would control the air to the PO checks. Then I scored some old R134 tanks that quickly became my 8 gallons of air tanks. Like I said in my intro, UNIQUE! Oh yeah the valve bank was 24VDC, so I bought a voltage doubler off ebay for like 10 bucks, still have to order a spare, oops.

Collecting junk yard parts to avoid cuttin up the nice original bits.

More goodies!

Using the Factory rear bags presented a small difficulty in that they have their solenoids directly fitted into the air bag and are fed by a measly 3/32 inch air line from the weak little compressor, none of that will do. The solution was to remove the solenoid and replace it with a bung/adapter that had a standard 3/8 NPT thread in it. Shown here in Solidworks. Spun them up out of aluminum and installed new O-Rings.

Believe it or not the factory air springs swapped directly in place of the factory coil springs. I hooked up the compressor and voila the back of my car now had variable elevation capabilities! Only unbolted the shocks.

On to the front which was much, much more work, no there is no kit I could find to do this. Springs removed for a test of the travel

Modifying LCA's

More to come...
    "The Merc" (1999 Mercury Grand Marquis LS)

Done: FBSS Air Ride, PI Dual Exhaust, LED Gauge Back Light, LED Interior Lamps, Custom Gauge Overlays, Infinity/Alpine Sound, 20% Tint, Sanden EDC, 18" Magnaflow muffs and 3" tips.

Future: 3.55:1 with Trac-Loc, More Lows (Commence to Cutting), Wheel spacers for better fitment, Possibly New Wheels.

very cool, can't wait to see it all finished

this is awesome, wheel ideas?
    @DollaDollaDill

such an awesome build and i like that its unique and put together with scavenged parts. Always sweet finding new purpose for old obsolete machinery.

Very clever stuff man. Awesome that your grandpa likes it haha! Any plans for paint? It could look sick in flat black or like an olive drab or something

IG: Nick475

I **** bags but i like how different this build is, especially since its not just bagged on some 239089205" Lexani knockoff rimz
    "Nord's armor has lots of fur. This sometimes makes M'aiq nervous." -M'aiq The Liar

THIS GL-10 IS PRETTY COOL!

Stay up to date with my '86 Subaru GL-10 build on Instagram with @billytheboobaru

"At least if your car is going to die, might as well die under WOT giving it the beans"

Wow! Thanks for the positive feedback guys. It means a lot! No paint I'm affraid, the factory finish on this car is spectacular, I believe it was a factory re clear for possible repair, whatever they did there is a lot of clear on it and it really has to be seen to be appreciated. I'm looking for wheel ideas, just for the record I'm not opposed to knockoffs.

Done: FBSS Air Ride, PI Dual Exhaust, LED Gauge Back Light, LED Interior Lamps, Custom Gauge Overlays, Infinity/Alpine Sound, 20% Tint, Sanden EDC, 18" Magnaflow muffs and 3" tips.

Future: 3.55:1 with Trac-Loc, More Lows (Commence to Cutting), Wheel spacers for better fitment, Possibly New Wheels.

I dig the factory color, gives it that old man car look.

04 X-type | 2.5L 5-speed | KW Coilovers | 19x9.5 bbs style (not real) wheels w/ 245/35/19s | Mina Gallery exhaust | Specter intake | slotted and drilled rotors | race seats | Redline leather shift boots and suede steering wheel wrap | black mesh grills | Cosmo racing short shifter | trunk lip spoiler | euro front bumper blades |

very unique! wish i had the knowledge and tools to create my own airride system! good luck to you sir
    Instagram - marcuscreek ---- facebook - /cusbum

Static Low R50 Mini Cooper

Cool ride, needs wire wheels and a Snoop Dogg CD tho!

I would say some Dayton's are your best bet for this bad boy.

awesome awesome awesome. Would love to see more unique builds like this. Keep it up!

Truth be told, I've had a soft spot for these. Maybe because my grandfather had two consecutive generations of them including this one. I always wondered what they would look like properly done on bags. OP, please don't disappoint. So far, I like what I see.
    Sup. Call me Z.
    My Accord "build".

The re-purposing of old parts in f***in spectacular! Almost reminds me of a rat rod build in the spirit of pieceing it together and MAKING it work but with a hell of a lot more class, clear coat, tech and so one.

Good show sir!

i love these big body sedans and the stock color. i cant wait to see it laid out!

Looks good man!
    My build thread
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=46573

INSTAGRAM @ARTWORKBYLOCALLOU

Great fabrication work, going to look so cool!
    -SW|UK-
    Education - Knowledge - Power
    insta: @stinkinrich

nice! I know how much of a pain those Factory rear bags can be. Watch out as they like to split and crack. Ive got a couple sets in my shed from when it had the factory air. Now My cars on hydraulics
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Christ View Post
    he mustve enjoyed that bj.

i know for a fact you chubby bitches could suck the air bubbles out of a brake line

Thanks for all the awsome feedback guys! I need to pick up a spare front bag and a junkyard rear for those long hauls. Rear factory bags are just F9000 wich are what i would have purchased to go in anyway, this way no fab work other than the solenoid eliminator/air line adapter.

Springs, Shocks and Sway Bar Out!

Upper Cups mocked up

Plumbing done, tanks in primer and AZ comp mounted. The comp moved to up under the front bumper due to noise and it should stay cooler there. Also DOT air line is cheaper than 6 ga. Wire.

Temporary switch box, something nice is on the to-do list.

Front up under air bag power.

Front Down, trimming of bump stops ensued later

First look at her all layed out!

Shock bracket in the works, I had to invert them and move them outboard, I used the sway bar hole in the LCA and made a bracket to hold the other end, they are mono-tube oil shocks so inverting them is OK.

Painted the Upper Cups

Had to cup the LCAís to make more clearance for the bags

A must, NEW ball joints.

Now itís all tweaked itís got to look good! POR15

Love the last pic. Wouldnt change a thing. well...maybe more sub, thats a big trunk for one 10.

i love this i had a 2002 grand marquis this is exactly what i wanted to do with it.

Dude, YES! Love what you've done with this Merc man.

I think some Work LeadSleds would be awesome.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_1FndGrxztd...wheelImage.png
    Ol Dirty Bastard - RIP

Photo by Alex Dooley
    2016 Ducati Scrambler, 2015 Subaru Impreza

wow yes ^ those wheels would kill it man perfect. or if you cant find those go with some full moon american muscle car wheels same style domed chromed wheel LOLZZ

I'm not crazy about the old school sled style wheel, I should photo shop it to get an idea.

I do like this.
    http://www.workwheelsusa.com/product...y=44&wheel=117

I really want to have a deep lip on all four corners! I think more spokes will be similar to wires without crossing the line to lowrider? I was going for modern Lead Sled though, time to fire up PS.

Looks great! have fun with the front cross member and those bars haha. heres mine

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Christ View Post
    he mustve enjoyed that bj.

i know for a fact you chubby bitches could suck the air bubbles out of a brake line