Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omg

Comment

• Well shit. That was easily the coolest thing I ever did see! =)

Nath
      I take picture too, sometimes.

Mini content inside.

Instagram.

Tumblr.

Comment

• In the end I wasn't happy enough with the wheel width and combined with the fact that my brother wanted a set with the same style, this picture pretty much sums up my last few days:

First things first, we purchased another set of BBS RS from japanese Yahoo auctions!

16x7 ET33, making the discs of these have 9mm higher offset than my current discs which is only the first half of the good news. They also have their inner barrels in 5.5J!

That is where the jigsaw puzzle came in you see in the first pic! The new plan is as of the following:

Skyline

front 16x12 with 4.5 inch lip, only had to order a new 7 inch inner barrel.
        rear 16x12 with 5.5 inch lip, which is the inner barrel that came with the new set.

Silvia

front 16x10 with 4 inch lip, ordering that new.
        rear 16x11 with 4.5 inch lip, the one I'm replacing on the Skyline.

This of course meant I had to get started on polishing the original BBS 5.5J inners.

Wasn't a problem though as we've had our new multi purpose tool (part bbq assistant, part polishing assistant) standing by!

We took both sets apart and put on the barrels onto the discs with just a couple of bolts, jacked up the S14, slapped on the discs with the barrels, started the car and 2nd gear.

It was our first time polishing and we've gone with 4 simple steps:

1. 120 grit dry sanding to get rid of all the paint on the barrels

2. 400 grit wet

3. hard polishing wheel with brown cutting compound

4. soft polishing wheel with blue buffing compound

see below for all 4 stages!

For being the first time attempting a polish like that I was fairly pleased, wasn't perfect, but turned out decent I'd say.

Here a before/after pic:

And a closeup:

As you see the brand new 4 inch lip next to it looks somewhat better, so if someone has any tips how to go about giving my self-polished ones a better shine - I'd take em.

Anyhow, I'll be putting them together over the next week or so and I'll have some more pictures for you.
        Last edited by h3llk1t3; 12-08-2014, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• This is awesome

Comment

• bbq polish tool haha
            Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

• Perfect.

Comment

• Originally posted by h3llk1t3 View Post
                Love the r32 mang. Courious of the specs of your xd9's?
                1991 BMW E30 325i Touring

Comment

• Originally posted by P78 View Post
                  bbq polish tool haha
                  This is the bbq part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLR53zIwLUE

Originally posted by Grime View Post
                  Love the r32 mang. Courious of the specs of your xd9's?
                  They're just standard 18x10 et18, need miles wide spacers to make 'em flush :p

Comment

• I like the dedication to this car.

But does it not bother you that the new 5.5j outer barrels (the old inner barrels) have a totally different step design?

Also should try and get the centre caps on, I think it would look a lot more complete man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmy_HR32 View Post
                      I like the dedication to this car.

But does it not bother you that the new 5.5j outer barrels (the old inner barrels) have a totally different step design?

Also should try and get the centre caps on, I think it would look a lot more complete man.
                      On contrary, I love the fact that I will have the original bbs inner barrel design on the outside as lip. As mentioned before, I'm a total Kyusha nut actually and I love all the crazy 14 inch wheel setups where they have been using inner barrels as lips in the back.

I have center caps and I can later on make a few pictures with the caps on if you like, but they are simply a no-go for me, I like the raw look without them, plus I wanna use long lug nuts which don't fit under the caps.

Comment

• expensive polishing tool
                        Originally posted by Stupid Kid
                        You're the worst everything everywhere

Comment

• So great, I have to say though, some custom flat Rs caps on this would look so fucking sick. I know you are going for the long lug combo though. Regardless im sure it will look amazing.
                          Instagram : @SHMVNY_GVNG

Comment

• Those 5.5 inch lips... sweet baby jesus!
                            Last edited by Dr.AK; 11-06-2014, 05:23 PM.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

• Originally posted by floatingdino View Post
                              expensive polishing tool
                              *part polishing tool <3

I put the rears together with my wife, I really wonder if shit is gonna fit.. but here's the theory:

Going from 4.5 lip to 5.5 lip is 25mm more poke. That's what I gotta compensate for. The new disc is 9mm more ET and the 0.5 wider wheel with the same tire gonna give me 5-6mm more room through the extra stretch. That leaves me at roughly 10mm to work out.
                              Every degree of camber should give me another 5 mm roughly, so I'm hoping I can get away with it by just adding 2 degs more camber. We'll see soon.

Here are them dirties

Gonna try to give 'em another polish at the end and still have to drill a hole for the valves.

Comment

• Waiting for pics of the test fit like...

Instagram : @SHMVNY_GVNG

Comment

Working...
                                X