No announcement yet.

'82 Volvo: An Exercise in Stance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice man! You've got your work cut out for you but its going to be so worth it

Comment

Instagram- Williammk1

Comment

Originally posted by philohlean
        I guarantee my dad will say the exact same thing to me when I go to order tires soon..... I probably won't listen though. I would second what 244brick said and maybe try bondo, it sticks like hell to just about anything, then sands pretty easy. You are definitely forging your own path with this car man, those wheels redefine the word aggressive, especially when applied to volvos....
        As expensive as they are, would a kaplhenke rear trailing arm/ coilover conversion give you a little more camber to work with?
        What volvo you have? I've never seen a 240 have anything but live rear axles a/k/a solid axle. So, no rear camber!?

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

Stretched tires are only usually unsafe when low on air pressure... Oh wait thats all types of tires...
          Hit me up for all your quality used bmw parts needs! http://properperformance.com/ IG: Lowlygent

Comment

I'm watching this build since the very beginning, your car is awesome! GL with the wheels, I'd really love to see them fitted!
            '97 Golf Mk3.

Comment

Sanding, sanding, sanding..

I spent today sanding the wheels. The welding from getting them redrilled left little deposits on the lip.

I knocked those out with 80 grit, then went on to 120

then 220

then 330

then 400

first round of 600 wet sand

second round of 600 wet sand

small update, just thought I'd share. That will probably be the last one for a few months unless I get around to radiusing the fenders tomorrow. I leave for college sunday morning.
              '82 Volvo 242 build
              '73 Datsun 240z build

Comment

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooofffffffuck yea man

Comment

waaaaaaaaaay too much fiber glass to hold that together btw... and you should have left a small gap in between what you wanted to hold together so the epoxy would get in there and really solidify it

Comment

Originally posted by corolllin View Post
                    waaaaaaaaaay too much fiber glass to hold that together btw... and you should have left a small gap in between what you wanted to hold together so the epoxy would get in there and really solidify it
                    thanks for the tip, literally never used fiber glass before so I'm learning as I go. I'll definitely try that for the other side though.
                    '82 Volvo 242 build
                    '73 Datsun 240z build

Comment

• Mas sanding

More sanding, you guys know the drill

Started off with 1000 grit wet sand which had me worried because it still left visible scratches

Began coming out nicely though

second round of 1000

couple rounds of 1500

Aaaaand a few rounds of 2000; they're starting to look pretty good actually

There are still scratches left from the 2000 so will these come out if I use an aluminum polish? I've never refinished wheels either so I'm pretty happy they look like that coming from this:

any advice on getting a mirror finish on the lips is much appreciated, thanks
                      '82 Volvo 242 build
                      '73 Datsun 240z build

Comment

• damn those lips will look so good when you're done sanding & polishing, if you would have shown me the second to last picture first and told me that the last picture is how they started out i wouldn't have believed you.

Comment

• Originally posted by StanceDatSucka View Post
                          damn those lips will look so good when you're done sanding & polishing, if you would have shown me the second to last picture first and told me that the last picture is how they started out i wouldn't have believed you.
                          Haha thanks man, it is so tedious but in the end it will be more than worth it, I polished the lip with some mother's polish and its basically as good as its going to get from where it started

Here are some pictures my friend took of Olga before I left

'82 Volvo 242 build
                          '73 Datsun 240z build

Comment

• Learning to TIG

Hey guys, so at my school there is a formula SAE team which builds a go kart-like race car and competes against other schools.

here's last years car:

A friend of mine got a grant to build an electric version of this car to replace the gas one. We are building it from scratch and using CAD software to develop the parts to be fabricated.

My task in the project is once we are past the design stage will be to weld everything.

I've never welded before so I've spent 7 hours in the shop over the past 2 days trying to get better.

these are the scrap tabs and metal i've been practicing on:

I started just trying to lay down a good bead on some scrap steel

The next day I tried actually fusing 2 pieces together which proved much harder. I just got little beads of filler and wasn't getting penetration

It started to come along though

Not much of an update but I think this has made me lean more towards making flares out of sheet metal rather than fiberglass
                            '82 Volvo 242 build
                            '73 Datsun 240z build

Comment

• I'll just leave this here..
                              '82 Volvo 242 build
                              '73 Datsun 240z build

Comment

• Never really looked twice at Volvos but daaammnnn this thing is quite nice! Subbed can't wait to see even more!
                                MAZDA 121 (The saddest daily driver)

Comment

Working...
                                X