'82 Volvo: An Exercise in Stance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '82 Volvo: An Exercise in Stance

S/W users, just thought I would take the time to introduce myself and my ride, Olga: The little '82 242 Turbo that could.

I already posted this in the intro section but some people said it would be better for the build section.

*DISCLAIMER* I apologize in advance for the crappy cell phones pics, I don't have a good camera.

I'm 18 and live in the bay area, when I first started looking for a project car I had the classic 240sx beater drift car in mind. By chance a guy was selling his "drift" volvo and I actually thought it looked badass. This was my introduction to the world of bricks.

She was different, quirky, but kinda cool. Volvos remind of a cute, "nerdy" girl in your class. Sure, she's kinda weird, maybe a little rough around the edges, and definitely isn't the first to come to mind when you think of looks, but the fact that people overlook her is sort of what makes her cool. And when she tries to look good those same people who overlooked her think wow she's hot! I decided to go for it. I picked up Olga from a guy in san jose looking like this:

The odo was stopped at 181,664 when I bought it. I'm guessing it has over 200k easy. Surprisingly she still runs ok.

First thing to go was the black lip on the air dam, looked to cluttered to me. Oh, and also the tires. For some reason they were down to the cords in the rear, wonder how that happened.

the steelies are 16x7 et0 and 16x8 et-10. fenders were already rolled front and rear. Welded diff. 3 in. exhaust. Pretty good starting point.

Fixed some things that needed attention like the alternator, electric radiator fan, wires/plugs etc.
    Then it was on to getting Olga looking much better.

Shots of her nice and clean:

I swapped the front end on from a '75 240. The sealed beam lights that came with it were beyond junk so I got some cheap ebay replacements:

My friend is an up and coming artist. A sample of his work can be found on the left of the hood.

I thought Olga was looking pretty good, but most of you are probably thinking, "That Volvo, is TOO DAMN HIGH." An angle grinder, fender roller, and a couple days of my precious time remedied that situation.

Not slammed by any means, but the front crossmember is 1 inch off the ground.. so I might have throw the lip back on. Rear can go lower but is limited my wheel/tire setup.

Speaking of wheels/tires the steelies are cool but I want some thing a little more, well, baller. I picked up these CCW classic 5's for 600 bucks. 16x8.5/9.5 +35. they will be re-drilled to 5x108, they are 5x114.3 right now.

The 5x108 bolt pattern is God's cruel joke to all Volvo lovers, at least if you plan on running any kind of aftermarket wheels.

Planning on using the rear 16x9.5 for fronts, then adding a 4 inch lip to the other wheels and using them for the back.

Paint, and cleaning up the exterior are in store, but I'm leaving for college in a month, so work will happen much slower after that.

Let me know what you think, good, bad, doesn't matter.
    Last edited by aprophet13; 01-29-2015, 01:12 PM.
    '82 Volvo 242 build
    '73 Datsun 240z build

how in the hell did you get those wheels for 600?? Damn that's real good find!

Looking good so far OP, keep it up!
    sigpic

Follow me on Instagram! @cskzero

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckdee View Post
      how in the hell did you get those wheels for 600?? Damn that's real good find!

Looking good so far OP, keep it up!
      Thanks! Haha I know right? That's the beauty of Criagslist, people have things they just want gone and don't realize how much they're worth.
      '82 Volvo 242 build
      '73 Datsun 240z build

Comment

Ive always wanted a 242 turbro. Looks promising and fun! Those CCW 5s

insta:yungwymo

Comment

Damn, always loved this body style. Looks good so far

Comment

love it.
            Volvo Build Thread
            Bmw Build Thread
            Toyota Build Thread
            zanebonk instagram
            Tumblrrrr

Comment

Awesome dude!

My 1983 Mk1 Golf

Comment

that was a perfect analogy for this car. looks pretty cool already

instagram: @keenanhaye

Comment

Remove your purchased pric for future resale

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

Dope! What part of norcal are you from??

Comment

Love it!
                      Follow on IG
                      amgwheelwhore

Buy my wheels
                      Vintage AME Wheels
                      RUF Speedline Wheels

Buy my cars
                      W115 & W123

Comment

Pretty.

Comment

Not slammed by any means, but the front crossmember is 1 inch off the ground

Keep up the good work!
                          Mint green Mk2 build
                          Daily 190E build

Comment

I have had a lot of 240s. A turd brown turbo was my first car. Nice score on the classics.
                            Last edited by Macaque; 08-01-2013, 09:54 PM.

Comment

This car is ridiculous! I love this Volvo.
                              '94 Nissan Altima GXE
                              '00 Ford Mustang GT | Domestic-Bunny

I make music and gaming videos in Cali. @ktfright

youtube.com/ktfright | ktf.bandpage.com

Comment

Working...
                              X