Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: '82 Volvo: An Exercise in Stance

Default '82 Volvo: An Exercise in Stance

S/W users, just thought I would take the time to introduce myself and my ride, Olga: The little '82 242 Turbo that could.

I already posted this in the intro section but some people said it would be better for the build section.

*DISCLAIMER* I apologize in advance for the crappy cell phones pics, I don't have a good camera.

I'm 18 and live in the bay area, when I first started looking for a project car I had the classic 240sx beater drift car in mind. By chance a guy was selling his "drift" volvo and I actually thought it looked badass. This was my introduction to the world of bricks.

She was different, quirky, but kinda cool. Volvos remind of a cute, "nerdy" girl in your class. Sure, she's kinda weird, maybe a little rough around the edges, and definitely isn't the first to come to mind when you think of looks, but the fact that people overlook her is sort of what makes her cool. And when she tries to look good those same people who overlooked her think wow she's hot! I decided to go for it. I picked up Olga from a guy in san jose looking like this:

The odo was stopped at 181,664 when I bought it. I'm guessing it has over 200k easy. Surprisingly she still runs ok.

First thing to go was the black lip on the air dam, looked to cluttered to me. Oh, and also the tires. For some reason they were down to the cords in the rear, wonder how that happened.

the steelies are 16x7 et0 and 16x8 et-10. fenders were already rolled front and rear. Welded diff. 3 in. exhaust. Pretty good starting point.

Fixed some things that needed attention like the alternator, electric radiator fan, wires/plugs etc.
    Then it was on to getting Olga looking much better.

Shots of her nice and clean:

I swapped the front end on from a '75 240. The sealed beam lights that came with it were beyond junk so I got some cheap ebay replacements:

My friend is an up and coming artist. A sample of his work can be found on the left of the hood.

I thought Olga was looking pretty good, but most of you are probably thinking, "That Volvo, is TOO DAMN HIGH." An angle grinder, fender roller, and a couple days of my precious time remedied that situation.

Not slammed by any means, but the front crossmember is 1 inch off the ground.. so I might have throw the lip back on. Rear can go lower but is limited my wheel/tire setup.

Speaking of wheels/tires the steelies are cool but I want some thing a little more, well, baller. I picked up these CCW classic 5's for 600 bucks. 16x8.5/9.5 +35. they will be re-drilled to 5x108, they are 5x114.3 right now.

The 5x108 bolt pattern is God's cruel joke to all Volvo lovers, at least if you plan on running any kind of aftermarket wheels.

Planning on using the rear 16x9.5 for fronts, then adding a 4 inch lip to the other wheels and using them for the back.

Paint, and cleaning up the exterior are in store, but I'm leaving for college in a month, so work will happen much slower after that.

Let me know what you think, good, bad, doesn't matter.
    Last edited by aprophet13; 01-29-2015 at 01:12 PM.

how in the hell did you get those wheels for 600?? Damn that's real good find!

Looking good so far OP, keep it up!

Follow me on Instagram! @cskzero

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckdee View Post
    how in the hell did you get those wheels for 600?? Damn that's real good find!

Looking good so far OP, keep it up!
    Thanks! Haha I know right? That's the beauty of Criagslist, people have things they just want gone and don't realize how much they're worth.

Ive always wanted a 242 turbro. Looks promising and fun! Those CCW 5s

insta:yungwymo

Damn, always loved this body style. Looks good so far

Awesome dude!

My 1983 Mk1 Golf

that was a perfect analogy for this car. looks pretty cool already

Remove your purchased pric for future resale

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Dope! What part of norcal are you from??

Love it!

Pretty.

Not slammed by any means, but the front crossmember is 1 inch off the ground

Keep up the good work!

I have had a lot of 240s. A turd brown turbo was my first car. Nice score on the classics.
    Last edited by Macaque; 08-01-2013 at 09:54 PM.

This car is ridiculous! I love this Volvo.
    '94 Nissan Altima GXE
    '00 Ford Mustang GT | Domestic-Bunny

I make music and gaming videos in Cali. @ktfright

youtube.com/ktfright | ktf.bandpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by corey View Post
    Dope! What part of norcal are you from??
    Thanks! I'm about 20 miles south of SF
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocambolesque View Post

Keep up the good work!
    Haha thank you, yes the problems of the low life

Quote Originally Posted by ktfright View Post
    This car is ridiculous! I love this Volvo.
    Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! Next update will be making/installing coil overs, just waiting on shipping.

Default Late Summer Update

Hey guys, I left for college on August 25th, and got the car back from the shop (where it had been for 7 weeks) around 4 days before that. I did not get that much work done, but it does have some new improvements that I think are worth the 7 week wait.

She now has 2 recaro pole positions in black, with 4 point harnesses from Status racing in red. Also a simple cage with a hoop and two supports going back:

I also got Bilstein HDs for the rear:

And some sideskirts off a v70 in the pick n pull which I'm gonna try to make fit:

As for the wheels, it is sort of confusing but basically I only wanted to end up buy one pair of hardware from CCW i.e. 2 lips or 2 barrels, so with the parts I have available and the new 4" lips I got from CCW the final sizes will be- front: 16x9.5 with a 7" lip, rear: 16x11 with a 7.5" lip.

This seems crazy at first but the steelies I have now are close to a 5" lip in the rear so making these fit shouldn't be terrible. The fronts have around a 3 or 4" lip and they fit with untouched fenders; adding 3" inches will doable with flaring and camber.

This also means that the 15 year old barrels will now be visible on the wheels since they will be lips. That equates to a lot of sanding. Lots. And lots of sanding.

they started off like this:

then this:

then this:

I am not done sanding yet, not even close, but leaving for college put a damper on my progress.

and these are the what the final wheel sizes will look like:
    Front- 16x9.5 with 7" lip

Rear- 16x11 with 7.5" lip

These are just some pics I took the day before I left so I had some to look at when ever I miss her:

No fucks given fender lol

Not much of an update but when I am back over christmas break I should have some interesting updates on the fenders and possibly coil overs if they ever ship from Kaplhenke. Feel free to leave feedback, good or bad, doesn't matter.

damn good start! very curious to see how this wheel experiment turns out.
    025garage

Fuck what I would do for a 2 door Volvo, love what you're doing, curious to see how the wheels turn out. Take them with you!!

looks good, in for this

if the wheels work out, this will be epic
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Looking awesome. Reminds me of my 7 in a way. Also, you need my euro plate

WOW, that's so cool. I wish my 242GT look that bad! I'M IN!!!!
    BMW 528i e12 1980, Volvo 850R 1996, Volvo 242GT 1980 YEAHH!!1

Awesome coupe. I want one.

Those wheels are going to look absolutely crazy. I hope they work out for you!

Those wheels are gonna look badass. Maybe put sum small overfender on it, to cover the butchered fenders. From a golf MK2 maybe?