Toyota Cressida Coilover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota Cressida Coilover thread.

I know this is kind of a car that is often overlooked, but I figured I should come here for some help and suggestions regarding it.

First of all this is the car, my 1986 Toyota Cressida. It is the MX73 chassis code. I acquired it from my grandparents, who were the original owners, and I currently daily drive it. It has 132k on the odometer, with a 5MGE I-6 motor paired up to an automatic transmission, but eventually I plan to swap in either a 1jz or a 1uz, along with a 5-speed manual transmission.

With that being said, I was going to look into different suspension options so I can eventually make this thing look pretty cool before I start doing motor work to it. When I do the suspension work, I also plan to add a skidplate, an exhaust and a LSD from a MKII Supra.

Now here are the products specifically for the MX73 chassis.
    - There is the BC Racing setup, which is probably pretty good. I have heard nothing but good things about BC's coilovers on other cars. The general consensus is that they are not too expensive, but still have very good quality.
    - Megan Racing also makes coilovers, but I've heard very mixed reviews regarding the quality of Megan's products. Most people I know have had problems with their Megan products.
    - I don't know about this website (Techno Toy Tuning), but they seem to have a very legitimate selection of products for the MX73 chassis. I believe these are also known as T3 coilovers.
    - Of course there are the masters of all things Cressida related, Serialnine.

Other options
    - I have heard that S13 and/or S14 suspension works for these cars with some modification.
    - When I asked another Cressida owner what method he had used, he said he had the T3 in the front/KYB shocks in the rear on his Cressida wagon, but the S13 suspension worked after some modification. The fronts were spun off the lower perch and welded it to the knuckle/strut tube. Also, holes had to be drilled in the front to accept s13 camber plates. The rears used a full s13 rear coilover, with the top hat for the rear welded to the frame and the damper ran through the existing hole for the rear shock. The lower portion of the coilover apparently slid in like normal.
    - I know that s14 suspension does fit on mx83's, not sure about 73's.
    - What other suspension setups could be compatible with a mx73? As in setups from another vehicle (for example, w124 benzes can use bmw e36 coilovers).

MORE QUESTIONS
    - If I were to do a 5-lug swap, what changes would I have to make to the mx73 suspension? With a 5-lug, would it be smarter to get coilovers or a setup meant for an mx83, and would that even fit?
    - I saw a 5-lug mx73 with S13 coilovers all around that had SerialNine tubes welded to MX83 spindles with SerialNine camber plates in the front. The rears had a perch for the springs to sit properly in, and the shock mounts were boxed and reinforced.
    - With that being said, I just don't know if it's worth getting coilovers for a car that is currently four lug if a 5-lug conversion would require a replacement of many of these parts, or make some parts incompatible. Is the 5-lug conversion worth doing? What differences are there between 4-lug and 5-lug?

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to any responses and/or help.
    Last edited by kibur; 07-01-2013, 01:35 PM.
    1986 BMW 528e - Delphin Grey - 5spd
    1986 Toyota Cressida - Dark Blue Metallic - 1JZ VVTI swap, AR5 transmission
    1990 Honda Civic Wagon - Rio Red - Daily Driver
    Instagram: @kibur

Just wanted to say that the Cressida is never really ever overlooked, it's a pretty popular car to be modified in the JDM scene...
    - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

Originally posted by Kielan View Post
      Just wanted to say that the Cressida is never really ever overlooked, it's a pretty popular car to be modified in the JDM scene...
      Perhaps overlooked was the wrong word. Let me just use this analogy...

Do you see more s-chassis modified or more cressidas?
      Do you see more e30's modified, or more e28's?

They are definitely not unknown cars with no aftermarket support, but they are definitely not what I would consider to be a popular choice for modification.

Comment

40 Pages of Cressida awesomeness and anything you'll ever need know

John's car's the shit.
        slamburglars.com

Comment

Originally posted by G535 View Post
          40 Pages of Cressida awesomeness and anything you'll ever need know

John's car's the shit.
          Went into that thread for the Cressidas, stayed for the scene girls.

Comment

Keep it 4 lug

The choice of old skool wheels is so much better in 4 stud than in 5 stud.

All the options you listed are a possible way to go, but it is best for you to figure out what exactly you want. Do you want to get things welded to work or if you want a bolt on solution.
            Drinking Enthusiast with a Car Problem

Comment

Originally posted by 180roman View Post
              Keep it 4 lug

The choice of old skool wheels is so much better in 4 stud than in 5 stud.

All the options you listed are a possible way to go, but it is best for you to figure out what exactly you want. Do you want to get things welded to work or if you want a bolt on solution.
              I was thinking to leave it four lug. I have a set of wheels for it as well, which are 16x8.5, with an offset of around 20-25 (I haven't measured the exact offsets yet). Four lug wheels also tend to be cheaper than 5-lug in case I got tired of the wheels which I plan to fit (I probably will eventually).

I wouldn't mind welding anything, but the most important thing is having a good structural integrity to the suspension. I want to have the best possible suspension for the best price possible that will hold up to wear and tear, allow for better handling, and still have an enjoyable ride (because it is my daily driver).

Comment

I've done cressidas before and we used an e30 front strut tube like this one with an s13 camber plate

and i forget what rears but it was an extremely popular application, probably s chassis.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Originally posted by Jesus Christ View Post
                  I've done cressidas before and we used an e30 front strut tube like this one with an s13 camber plate

and i forget what rears but it was an extremely popular application, probably s chassis.
                  Do you remember which year and/or chassis Cressida it was?

Comment

Originally posted by kibur View Post
                    Stay focused son

Any updates here?
                    slamburglars.com

Comment

Originally posted by kibur View Post
                      Goddamn it. This.
                      BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                      Originally posted by Ollie
                      We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

yeah s13/s14 suspension fit and work but unless you have a option of spring rates, its gonna be a rough ride because of the weight difference between the two vehicles. I'll say get megans or bc's for the Cressida and stay 4 lug. Most people went 5-lug in the x73s for more options at wheels mostly.

Comment

Originally posted by G535 View Post
                          Stay focused son

Any updates here?
                          I think I'm just going to save up and get some sort of coilover around December... for now I plan on getting my BMW as "finished" as possible for h2o in Ocean City, MD.

Originally posted by BkCressida1718 View Post
                          yeah s13/s14 suspension fit and work but unless you have a option of spring rates, its gonna be a rough ride because of the weight difference between the two vehicles. I'll say get megans or bc's for the Cressida and stay 4 lug. Most people went 5-lug in the x73s for more options at wheels mostly.
                          Thanks for the help. I'd try to order custom springs/spring rates for it regardless of whether I got cressida or s13/s14 suspension. Have you personally used s-chassis coils on a cressida?

Comment

I have s13 or s14 (can't remember) cusco rears on my car. My car has been off the road because of my swap so I really can't give an impression on them. probably in the next couple of weeks I can say something.

Comment

Originally posted by BkCressida1718 View Post
                              I have s13 or s14 (can't remember) cusco rears on my car. My car has been off the road because of my swap so I really can't give an impression on them. probably in the next couple of weeks I can say something.
                              Please let me know what you think, thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X